• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overpriced 1st appearances
3 3

179 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

How about ASM 300, you can't get a VG for under $100 yet there are more copies then Wolverine 1, 18,500 copies just on the census.

Can people just stop quoting how many copies there are in the census? It's completely irrelevant how many total copies there are graded. 2 or 20,000... doesn't matter. Demand is what matters. You can have only 2 copies of a book in the census and if not one person wants that book, it doesn't matter that there are only 2 graded... it still won't sell for squat. 20,000 copies of ASM 300? Sure, but 100,000 people want one.

3 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Can people just stop quoting how many copies there are in the census? It's completely irrelevant how many total copies there are graded. 2 or 20,000... doesn't matter. Demand is what matters. You can have only 2 copies of a book in the census and if not one person wants that book, it doesn't matter that there are only 2 graded... it still won't sell for squat. 20,000 copies of ASM 300? Sure, but 100,000 people want one.

Demand matters, yes but so does supply, as the term goes, "supply and demand, " both effect each other.

2 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Demand matters, yes but so does supply, as the term goes, "supply and demand, " both effect each other.

Yes but no one here seems to be taking that second part (demand) into the equation. All I see is "this books has x number of slabbed copies, I can't understand why it sells for so much".

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

The CGC census is not supply. It is not meaningless, but it definitely means less than some people think.

I don’t disagree. Obviously there are copies that exist outside of the census, and it’s certainly more meaningful for some books, than others...

Edited by Callaway29

In this case I would say the census holds about half or more of the supply of 300, regardless the census is useful when comparing to other books and there value. If a key book with 1,000 copies of equal importance is getting $x dollars we can compare that to a book with 18,000 copies going for $y. Its not a useful tool to judge the overall population of a book, but it is to judge a books rarity (if it is a slab worthy key) compared to other comics.

1 hour ago, HuddyBee said:

In this case I would say the census holds about half or more of the supply of 300, regardless the census is useful when comparing to other books and there value. If a key book with 1,000 copies of equal importance is getting $x dollars we can compare that to a book with 18,000 copies going for $y. Its not a useful tool to judge the overall population of a book, but it is to judge a books rarity (if it is a slab worthy key) compared to other comics.

Well, at least your post wasn't 100% inaccurate.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, at least your post wasn't 100% inaccurate.

Well it was actually pretty accurate all the way thru, it is a useful tool to compare to other books of equal importance.

2 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

Well it was actually pretty accurate all the way thru

So what is this

5 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

In this case I would say the census holds about half or more of the supply of 300

supposed to mean?

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

So what is this

supposed to mean?

That's just my estimate of how many copies there are. I guess I could be wrong on the exact number of copies. I'm confused are you just looking for things to say, "actually" to? 😕

Edited by HuddyBee

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes. There are probably 10 times the number of extant copies that are raw than are on the census.

Okay so furthering my point I underestimated the #copies of ASM 300, so it's even more common than I thought. Thank you. Still think its overpriced.

19 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That's not true.

What's untrue about it? Is the census not useful to compare books of equal importance? Even if there are x times many more copies, the ratio should stay pretty consistent if the books are equal in importance.

1 minute ago, HuddyBee said:

What's untrue about it? Is the census not useful to compare books of equal importance? Even if there are x times many more copies, the ratio should stay pretty consistent if the books are equal in importance.

The census only gives the broadest indications of what might exist, like "broadly, the census indicates that Hulk #1 is probably scarcer, in all grades, than AF #15. But that is only an indication."

It is a mistake to use it for any meaningful comparison. It only tells us the most potential copies that have been slabbed. It doesn't even give an accurate count of what actually is slabbed, much of the time.

Check out http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/ to get an idea of how ratios change over time.

28 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The census only gives the broadest indications of what might exist, like "broadly, the census indicates that Hulk #1 is probably scarcer, in all grades, than AF #15. But that is only an indication."

It is a mistake to use it for any meaningful comparison. It only tells us the most potential copies that have been slabbed. It doesn't even give an accurate count of what actually is slabbed, much of the time.

Check out http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/ to get an idea of how ratios change over time.

While I agree with your point, you can definitely use it for meaningful comparison. 

The idea that a warehouse exists with 1000 copies of high grade hulk 1s is not entirely impossible so it should be considered. However, the probability that said warehouse doesn't exist is much higher. 

Where it lacks the most is the amount of issues that have been cracked/pressed with complete disregard to the census.

Edited by MadJimJaspers

22 hours ago, LordRahl said:

Tell this to GA collectors