• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2021 at 8:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The bold were always going to happen after the Infinity Saga.

They had a franchise that kept building, and building, and building toward a single goal. The hype was insurmountable. Now, they have to soft reboot of sorts, when legacy characters are gone but the universe is the same. You can't recreate what they did with the original Avengers and Thanos.

The multiverse with Sony characters, etc, is a short loop solution to the problem but it doesn't solve the issue.

They built that franchise & narrative, and I think they delivered for the most part.
Not too often we see that in cinema, or even our comics.
Very tough to follow your own act, once you've reached a summit.
I'm very involved in sports as a coach. And I equate it to winning a championship. You build & build & you "get there." Very tough to maintain focus & the same level(s) of urgency & quality after achieving the goal.
Plus - the audience invested... what?... 10+ years in these films. Some of them may have let go & decided to move on to other things. They may check back in now & again.
And Marvel/Disney will need to develop new heroes & villains on screen to capture new audiences or reignite interest in the older/current fans.

It is the way...(:

On 10/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, HighVoltage said:

And Marvel/Disney will need to develop new heroes & villains on screen to capture new audiences or reignite interest in the older/current fans.

And they've been doing that with WandaVision (the Scarlet Witch, Spectre/Photon, the twins, Agatha Harkness, White Vision), FWS (John Walker, Sam Wilson Cap, Zemo to hero), Loki (Kang, Sylvie, Mobius M. Mobius), Black Widow (Taskmaster, Yelena Belova), and Shang-Chi.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/28/2021 at 7:58 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think you ignore your own behavior when you have purposely gone out of your way to mock and degrade the contributions of non-MCU films and TV shows. In a very blind way.

Being an 'die hard fan' doesn't mean you have to put your blinders on. Nor attack other films and TV shows as a sign of fealty. Even with Kevin Feige, on rare occasions because he doesn't want to lose box office he has called out such behavior. And even he takes the time to acknowledge other studio contributions in a positive way.

Just because others didn't care for Captain Marvel doesn't make them a default hater. They didn't like it.

I really want to enjoy all super hero related films. I want them all to succeed.

I mean - I enjoy film, and I enjoy comics. It's a literal win/win for me if both merge & there's a wonderful product to enjoy.

Plus, competition should raise the stakes & put the pressure on across the board. (should...! xD )

I'd love for DC's movie product to be better, but their HBO/small screen stuff has been solid & I am enjoying those - maybe even more than the Disney+ stuff.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:59 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

And they've been doing that with WandaVision (the Scarlet Witch, Spectre/Photon, the twins, Agatha Harkness, White Vision), FWS (John Walker, Sam Wilson Cap, Zemo to hero), Loki (Kang, Sylvie, Mobius M. Mobius), Black Widow (Taskmaster, Yelena Belova), and Shang-Chi.

Sure. They are in a transition spot. And results have been mixed so far. Somewhat expected.

I hope for them to find their footing and start their new stories off well before too long.

I do think Hawkeye looks fun. Looks like it will have a good mix of action/humor.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:56 AM, HighVoltage said:

...I'm very involved in sports as a coach. And I equate it to winning a championship. You build & build & you "get there." Very tough to maintain focus & the same level(s) of urgency & quality after achieving the goal.
Plus - the audience invested... what?... 10+ years in these films. Some of them may have let go & decided to move on to other things. They may check back in now & again.

It is the way...(:

Very apt comparison. "Nothing lasts forever." MCU is undeniably in a slump. No Way Home will bring back the fair-weather fans but it will be awhile until they make the playoffs again. :)

Disney deserves praise for selecting this director. It was a risk they didn't have to take. At a glance, it appears the risk was in favor of art over pure profit. If it is a good film, artistically, then I'll be happy. 

I'm counting on those ropey CGI Hulk dogs. 

On 10/28/2021 at 10:51 AM, HighVoltage said:

This was their most anticipated MCU film?
I guess the Spidey movie technically isn't MCU?
Because that is the movie I am looking forward to the most.

Right? Better get on board with what others anticipate, and don't have a personal favorite! :sumo:

:baiting:

On 10/28/2021 at 10:50 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

It's almost a scientific and statistical fact at this point that a very large portion of the toxic hate directed at Brie Larson and Captain Marvel is for reasons other than the quality of her movie. If a movie's quality generated such hate, then there should be equal hate directed at Iron Man, Thor, Hulk (IM3, IH, and Thor 2 are the worst MCU films), and the Wasp (because Captain Marvel is a superior film to Ant-Man and the Wasp). But there isn't. That's because most of the CM hate is agenda driven. And frankly, that's gross. Being a clean freak, I like to try and clean up gross things. To say that some of that grossness doesn't somehow find its way into these threads is to put blinders on.

It is pretty much a scientific fact your opinions are drastically subjective than objective, including if someone didn't care for Captain Marvel and/or Brie Larson's performance they must be haters and toxic.

What a way to form a close-minded view on what may or may not have worked.

The honest assessment  of the MCU is that it is going to limp along, more or less successful,  but far from it's previous heights. People do like Wanda, Loki, the Gardians characters, and Dr Strange.  They do not have the fanbase of the top three (let's be honest, Iron Man). The true resurgence is going to depend on the FF and most importantly how the X-Men are handled.  Those characters are needed for a second coming.

All this stuff is just a place holder, and if it were not for those characters waiting in the wings, the MCU would just fade away over the next 5 years.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:08 PM, drotto said:

People do like Wanda, Loki, the Gardians characters, and Dr Strange.  They do not have the fanbase of the top three (let's be honest, Iron Man). 

They have Spidey! 

On 10/27/2021 at 12:17 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I stopped trusting Rotten Tomatoes when I realized the flaws in their aggregation model going back to Lone Ranger, I believe. While not a great movie by any means, was it deserving of a 30% RT score?

omg, yes.  Yes it was.

That is neither here nor there.  The trailers I've seen for Eternals give me cause for concern that it will be stupid.  But Marvel has earned my coin by delivering consistent entertainment over an extended period of time.  Even the "bad" ones are entertaining (to me).  Like, I'm going to see it.  The RT score has 0 bearing on this.    

On 10/28/2021 at 1:42 PM, Axelrod said:

Even the "bad" ones are entertaining (to me).

The Incredible Hulk, GotG Vol. 2, and Captain Marvel are not entertaining enough for me to re-watch in the future.

The VFX for 2008's Hulk movie are simply so bad that they take me out of the movie. Ultron's stupid mouth and teeth almost do the same thing.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 10/28/2021 at 12:08 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The Incredible Hulk, GotG Vol. 2, and Captain Marvel are not entertaining enough for me to re-watch in the future.

The VFX for 2008's Hulk movie are simply so bad that they take me out of the movie. Ultron's stupid mouth and teeth almost do the same thing.

Ultron's Stupid Mouth was the name of my 1980's metal cover band...