• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

How about a lean "fresh" RT Eternals review from a Top Critic to counter the negativity that folks are having fun with here? 

Zhaos's touch resonates in Marvel's "ETERNALS" by Katie Walsh, The Hastings Tribune.

The fundamental question at hand for the Eternals is also what makes this a fundamentally Chloe Zhao film: is a flawed, and often selfish, human race worth saving? This quandary is undertaken by Sersi, who has been living in London, working as a museum scientist. When the Eternals find themselves in crisis, with Earth and all of humanity in the balance, Sersi has to weigh her mission as an Eternal against her undeniable fondness for humans, as well as the happiness and fulfillment she herself might achieve with human life. Her anguish is palpable.

Though the stakes in “Eternals” are far more epic in scope, these philosophical questions about humanity are in step with the rest of Zhao’s filmography. One can almost imagine Fern from “Nomadland” as an Eternal herself, drifting among the population but never quite within it, trying to decide if life among these people is worth the effort required.

Some may argue that Zhao’s voice has been subsumed into the Marvel/Disney machine. But the more interesting take is to observe how she’s smuggled her own perspective into this big superhero movie (and it’s not just the magic hour shots, though there are plenty). As cosmic creatures debate whether or not to save the world, longing for the simpler days, it becomes quite clear that “Eternals” is a film about whether our little blue marble in the great big universe is worth fighting for. Ultimately, with her human-scale superheroes possessed of human-scale emotions, Zhao makes the argument that humanity, despite all its flaws and foibles, is worth saving, so we should try and save ourselves. Whether that’s a radical message or merely lip service from the corporate Disney machine, it rings resonantly nevertheless.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 11/2/2021 at 2:37 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

How about a lean "fresh" RT Eternals review to counter all the negativity that folks are having fun with here? 

Zhaos's touch resonates in Marvel's "ETERNALS" Katie Walsh, The Hastings Review.

The fundamental question at hand for the Eternals is also what makes this a fundamentally Chloe Zhao film: is a flawed, and often selfish, human race worth saving? This quandary is undertaken by Sersi, who has been living in London, working as a museum scientist. When the Eternals find themselves in crisis, with Earth and all of humanity in the balance, Sersi has to weigh her mission as an Eternal against her undeniable fondness for humans, as well as the happiness and fulfillment she herself might achieve with human life. Her anguish is palpable.

Though the stakes in “Eternals” are far more epic in scope, these philosophical questions about humanity are in step with the rest of Zhao’s filmography. One can almost imagine Fern from “Nomadland” as an Eternal herself, drifting among the population but never quite within it, trying to decide if life among these people is worth the effort required.

Some may argue that Zhao’s voice has been subsumed into the Marvel/Disney machine. But the more interesting take is to observe how she’s smuggled her own perspective into this big superhero movie (and it’s not just the magic hour shots, though there are plenty). As cosmic creatures debate whether or not to save the world, longing for the simpler days, it becomes quite clear that “Eternals” is a film about whether our little blue marble in the great big universe is worth fighting for. Ultimately, with her human-scale superheroes possessed of human-scale emotions, Zhao makes the argument that humanity, despite all its flaws and foibles, is worth saving, so we should try and save ourselves. Whether that’s a radical message or merely lip service from the corporate Disney machine, it rings resonantly nevertheless.

She may be a wonderful director, but you can be great at something but a mismatch for a particular product.  You can not deny Zhao has talent, she has won the Oscar and critical acclaim in the past.  But, she is not a proven mainstream director.  Her four previous directing credits have a sum total $39 million box office. She has talent,  but has not worked on this type of film geared to a mass market audience. That is a risky move, and I give Disney credit for giving her a chance.  It is yet to be seen if she has risen to the task.  The reviews to this point, sound like she has somewhat fallen short.

She may yet have a long and fantastic career, but even the greats have faltered. It is also possible that Zhao's path may not be tentpole type movies. It just may not be her thing.

Again movies are the sum of all their parts.  You can have a stunning looking film, and solid performances, but that does not make up for story deficiencies.

By the way bolding and using bigger text size does not make your point better.

Edited by drotto

On 11/2/2021 at 2:37 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

How about a lean "fresh" RT Eternals review to counter all the negativity that folks are having fun with here?

How's that feel after you and a few others regularly sportf*&% other studio films by posting RT scores and negative reviews to mock them because they are not in the MCU?

Not fun. Right?

Here's another excerpt of a "fresh" RT Eternals review from a Top Critic.

The Most Poetic Marvel Film Yet  by Shirley Li, The Atlantic

Zhao seems most eager to depict the Eternals’ bonds with the mortals they’ve lived beside. Her camera dwells on these interactions: There’s Sersi planting crops alongside farmers. There’s Makkari bartering with merchants. There’s Sprite (Lia McHugh) creating illusions to teach children myths. In these moments, Zhao channels the singular humanistic vision that guided her stunning indies such as The Rider and Nomadland. In those movies, Zhao established herself as an empathetic and immersive filmmaker, prioritizing the sensual experience of her characters, drawing strong performances from actors and nonactors alike, and capturing people’s essence in minute details and lush photography. Her work feels like poetry.

Much of Eternals possesses the same meditative magic: Natural light bathes the characters and sublime landscapes—broad skies, rolling prairies, churning seas—surround them. The Eternals experience life on Earth across thousands of years, and with the help of a strong ensemble cast, Zhao tracks their shared awe and despair as observers of history.

Zhao’s delicate examination of her characters outshines Eternals’ duller and more convoluted moments. The climax centers on the Eternals’ internal strife, and after spending so much time with this family, seeing them fight is both agonizing and breathtaking. No buildings fall, no hordes of alien armies invade, and no civilians are shown screaming in terror. The most tragic blow doesn’t come from a fist, but from a single look exchanged between two characters. That’s an ambitious approach—to sink a Marvel-size budget into a personal character study and still keep it feeling like a sweeping blockbuster. Only Zhao could have made it so.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:49 PM, drotto said:

She may be a wonderful director, but you can be great at something but a mismatch for a particular product.  You can not deny Zhao has talent, she has won the Oscar and critical acclaim in the past.  But, she is not a proven mainstream director.  Her four previous directing credits have a sum total $39 million box office. She has talent,  but has not worked on this type of film geared to a mass market audience. That is a risky move, and I give Disney credit for giving her a chance.  It is yet to be seen if she has risen to the task.  The reviews to this point, sound like she has somewhat fallen short.

She may yet have a long and fantastic career, but even the greats have faltered. It is also possible that Zhao's path may not be tentpole type movies. It just may not be her thing.

I won't know until I see it. But that last statement isn't an unfair claim. Sometimes pulling in these very successful small budget directors to do the same thing with a big budget crashes. Josh Trank with Fantastic Four was a horrible Fox decision.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:52 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

giphy.gif

See when you put out all those negative vibes to prove you are THE HARDCORE MCU FAN so you assume that is how you convey your fanatical views by carping on everything else it gets old and toxic.

Welcome to the club!

firsttime.thumb.jpg.ecef4fd2b294699d9b12687ee3c83a2e.jpg

On 11/2/2021 at 2:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

I won't know until I see it. But that last statement isn't an unfair claim. Sometimes pulling in these very successful small budget directors to do the same thing with a big budget crashes. Josh Trank with Fantastic Four was a horrible Fox decision.

Honestly, a lot of the reviews I have read, give me the feeling that the director and material may be a mismatch, and that may be the core issue. It seem that she generally excels at telling quiet, somewhat introspective stories centered around characters and not action.  There is lots of room for characters in the MCU, but ultimately these are action popcorn movies at their core. 

It is not hard for me to see that trying to make a character study film crammed between obligatory actions sequences could lead to a convoluted, slow, and confusing movie. I do wonder how this will play with people expecting an MCU movie.

Guess we will see over the next few weeks.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:02 PM, Jemin said:

I can't to watch the movie so everyone can quit talking about other what other people that have watched the movie are saying!  😂😂

New here?

You will see the same people complaining peppering non-MCU films with all the negative reviews and scores they can find to present their fealty to Disney. So maybe a little bit of the same experience is the refresh needed to demonstrate why that is more detracting from the atmosphere than doing everyone a favor.

Enjoy your movie though.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

New here?

You will see the same people complaining peppering non-MCU films with all the negative reviews and scores they can find to present their fealty to Disney. So maybe a little bit of the same experience is the refresh needed to demonstrate why that is more detracting from the atmosphere than doing everyone a favor.

Enjoy your movie though.

I'm not new. I just don't generally engage because of the last 10 pages of nonsense. 😂

I'll watch it and decide for myself.

On 11/2/2021 at 3:08 PM, Jemin said:

I'm not new. I just don't generally engage because of the last 10 pages of nonsense. 😂

I'll watch it and decide for myself.

'Nonsense'? Kind of. Kind of not. But I get you on not engaging at times.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:11 PM, Bosco685 said:

'Nonsense'? Kind of. Kind of not. But I get you on not engaging at times.

I only have interest in the movies because I love comics and never thought as a kid I would see any of the characters that we have seen on the big screen.  I don't care about reviews or fanatics of this company or that company.  

On 11/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, Jemin said:

I only have interest in the movies because I love comics and never thought as a kid I would see any of the characters that we have seen on the big screen.  I don't care about reviews or fanatics of this company or that company.  

He's_Out_of_line_but_he's_right.jpg

On 11/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, Jemin said:

^^

You had me at 'I love comics'

:headbang: