• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Nice. Way to totally mischaracterize my point.

Which was...Black Widow made Disney more profit domestically its opening weekend from Disney+ subscribers who paid $30 to watch it from home than it did from every person in North America who paid to watch it in the theaters.

Thus, folks (like JayDogRules) who claimed BW was a theatrical failure and discounted the home theater $30 per takes as merely "ancillaries" - equivalent to licensing fees from toy sales - were not only intellectually dishonest but dead wrong.

This was 100% validated by Scarlett Johansson's lawsuit, as her contract was written pre-pandemic, with bonuses benchmarked to theatrical performance.

BW's Disney+ Premiere Access performance almost single-handedly changed how performer/director bonus payments will be structured in contracts going forward (although support from Emily Blunt with similar cannibalization of Jungle Cruise's theatrical receipts certainly helped as well).

I'm not advocating Disney continue to try to gouge folks with a $30 upcharge; rather acknowledging the business reality that Warner Bros. - and other studios - have left significant money on the table by not doing the same. 

Miscategorize? You were noting how disappointed you were that WarnerMedia as a business was not doing the wise thing like Disney in charging a Premiere Access fee.

On 7/14/2021 at 3:58 PM, Gatsby77 said:
Spoiler

You keep hammering on the steep day-to-day drop-off as if it was the headline - or somehow *magically would have been the headline* if Disney hadn't released their purported streaming numbers - that they did so primarily to save face on the assumption $80M domestic is somehow "disappointing." '

I disagree - I think the headline still would have been "best opening weekend in two years." Full stop.

Yes - it's a fact that it was steeply front-loaded -- but it's not necessarily related to why they release the streaming numbers.

What makes the streaming numbers story-worthy is that Disney likely made more profit from it alone than from the entire first weekend domestic gross.

I think this will be the new normal...but again, we'll know a lot more when Jungle Cruise comes out in two weeks.

And yes - I know Warner Bros. has already announced a return to an exclusive 45-day theatrical window beginning in 2022.

Still hard to ignore the money left on the table from a potential additional $50-$100 million opening weekend in streaming revenue for their biggest releases if they simply followed in Disney's footsteps and started charging a similar premium for early access.

You were noting how WB Studios/HBO Max was not following the same model as Disney+ so therefore it was leaving money on the table that otherwise it could claim.

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/5/2021 at 7:26 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Nice. Way to totally mischaracterize my point.

Which was...Black Widow made Disney more profit domestically its opening weekend from Disney+ subscribers who paid $30 to watch it from home than it did from every person in North America who paid to watch it in the theaters.

Thus, folks (like JayDogRules) who claimed BW was a theatrical failure and discounted the home theater $30 per takes as merely "ancillaries" - equivalent to licensing fees from toy sales - were not only intellectually dishonest but dead wrong.

This was 100% validated by Scarlett Johansson's lawsuit, as her contract was written pre-pandemic, with bonuses benchmarked to theatrical performance.

BW's Disney+ Premiere Access performance almost single-handedly changed how performer/director bonus payments will be structured in contracts going forward (although support from Emily Blunt with similar cannibalization of Jungle Cruise's theatrical receipts certainly helped as well).

I'm not advocating Disney continue to try to gouge folks with a $30 upcharge; rather acknowledging the business reality that Warner Bros. - and other studios - have left significant money on the table by not doing the same. 

Hold on a second.  

Black widow cost AT LEAST 400 million to make and market.  Only made 376 million WORLDWIDE, of which Disney only got back about 190.

And you think because Disney told you that it made another ~$100 million on home video that it somehow was "successful" and turned a profit?  We won't even get into the additional millions in  "go away forever" money they gave to scarlet. 

You're funny.  :roflmao:

I got two words for you on this one buddy -"Write Down".

-J.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:02 AM, piper said:

@Bosco685, have you seen the film yet?

Not to pick on you ever @piper but what gets extremely tiring here is when a few make it a regular event to pick apart all other studios so as to proclaim Disney and Marvel Studios rules.

Especially utilizing Rotten Tomatoes and box office results that at times don't always tell the full story. Like in the case of WarnerMedia making the determination to purposely go with a hybrid schedule, and writing off the losses in advance. So a movie like The Suicide Squad comes out that even the studio recognized it was going to heavily depend on the streaming results to gauge success and less on box office results. But that didn't hold some back on here from trashing the film repeatedly even though some had not even watched the film.

Did you stop to ask them if they had seen the non-MCU movie?

Edited by Bosco685

On 11/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

I'm counting on this movie is going to make a massive amount at the box office because hardcore fans are going to counter the critic response through their wallet via repeat viewings. And an Audience Score of at least 86%.

Called it!

Edited by Bosco685

Ok, I started watching it just now and turned it off after the generic opening battle that bored me to tears. I’m not saying its a bad movie since I haven’t finished it but I’ll give it another chance tomorrow. Or will probably just skip to the third act since a few have said makes up for the first two.

On 11/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Xenosmilus said:

The movie was OK, personally I don't think it's very rewatchable.

Someone posted an article today AGAIN with no spoiler warnings and revealed what the second credit scene is and whose voice you hear in the end.

That was interesting.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:13 AM, fantastic_four said:

HBO will stop doing it very soon, right?  It's mostly a pandemic thing.  Netflix, Amazon, Apple, and Peacock are all streaming-first platforms so theater releases are an afterthought for them.  I don't recall any blockbuster-style films from those streaming-first companies I would even typically want to see on the big screen.

I think AT&T/HBO made their decision early on in 2021 to not charge extra for films this year only.
Disney decided they would charge extra for new releases on a same-day drop.

iirc, HBO got bombed for 'gutting their theater earnings' with the non-pay strategy for the year.
Disney did not.

Now, near the latter part of the year, it appears the interpretation has been flipped.

Maybe HBO gains some goodwill and subscribers that helps them down the road, and perhaps they keep the 2021 model. Or maybe they charge a smaller fee for same-day releases in 2022.
Disney probably made some immediate cash - but who knows what it did to their subscriber base. Probably didn't help enhance it.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:32 AM, Jaydogrules said:

We won't even get into the additional millions in  "go away forever" money they gave to scarlet. 

Except - didn't they just announce a new movie she will be in for them (Tower of Terror)?  (:  xD
'Not forever... just for now'

On 11/5/2021 at 1:11 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Yes, if true it’s very cool!

They interviewed the director as part of the article and she noted who it was and what a big fan she is. So that was really interesting to find out.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:53 PM, Bosco685 said:

Okay, I may not appreciate how strongly some have an MCU bias.

But I never thought I would see this happen. :2135781879_wavingwhiteflagemoji:

I just watched it and I can see why, this is an average film about many ideas and imagery we have seen before, especially if you play video games or watch sci fi shows like Doctor Who. I don't think anyone is saying it's a 10 on 10 nor is anyone saying this is a truly terrible film. Everyone's just saying it's either average of below average. And there being more people who see it as below average (and thus don't recomend it) brings that RT score down. Personally, I wouldn't recomend this film, even though I am glad I watched it to form my own opinion. I liked some of the cast/characters, just not the main 2 (one of which is purposefully bland, which is more a problem with the story and tropes used than the actor).

I will say this though, Marvel (well, the MCU) is taking cues/tropes for their villains from DC for two movie sin a row now. They Mandarin was far closer to Ras Al Ghul than anything from the actual Marvel Comics and that final fight in Eternals was pulled straight out of a popular DC property. Won't say more so as not to spoil things.

Today, superheroes are everywhere. They've leapt out of their native medium of comics in a single bound to clothes, toys, video games, TV shows and, of course, movies. They often dominate the box office unchallenged, routinely earning billion-dollar hauls. Hundreds of millions of people around the world watch them, making them some of the most popular stories in human history.

Much of that is owed to Jack Kirby, the most prolific and arguably most important comic book artist ever. Marvel Studios' newest film, "Eternals," which opens November 5, features a star-studded cast including Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek and Kumail Nanjiani. It's based on Kirby's 1976 comic book, about a race of immortals created by giant aliens to defend humanity against their other creation, the Deviants. The film is a reminder that, while he may not be widely recognized as such, Kirby is one of the most influential artists of the 20th century.

Just as Kirby helped define superhero comics in the 1940s, he helped redefine them in the 1960s. Timely was now called Marvel, and his and Simon's former office assistant was now the editor-in-chief and head writer, Stan Lee. Lee brought Kirby on for what became an unprecedented, and unsurpassed by either, period of manic creativity. They created together the Fantastic Four (1961), the Hulk (1962), Thor (1962), Ant-Man (1962), Iron Man (1963), Avengers (1963), X-Men (1963), Silver Surfer (1966), Black Panther (1966) and hundreds of other heroes, villains, cast and concepts. Kirby also played a role in the creation of Spider-Man in 1962 and Daredevil in 1964 and auteured solo properties like the Eternals.

Really interesting article about Jack Kirby's history and contributions.