• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

CinemaS

On 11/9/2021 at 7:06 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The divide between the now infamous Eternals RT score and general audience reception is itself becoming a news story...

502633512_eternalsrottenwrong.thumb.JPG.12c8b20105f501a1e0a8391933be9446.JPG

628582358_eternalsbetterforbes.thumb.JPG.6365eeb1a6fb7ecda553d3557f02c25f.JPG

1) Cinemascore of "B" indicates most of the general audience thinks its garbage. 

2) Again: https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7nwkk/it-is-possible-for-eternals-to-be-both-diverse-and-bad

On 11/9/2021 at 7:50 PM, Gatsby77 said:

CinemaS

1) Cinemascore of "B" indicates most of the general audience thinks its garbage. 

2) Again: https://www.vice.com/en/article/n7nwkk/it-is-possible-for-eternals-to-be-both-diverse-and-bad

I guess the 4-6 members who posted here that they saw it and liked it must be confused over whether we like the movie or not then since Cinemascore tells us a B is garbage or maybe we all must like garbage.

Deadline already throwing up the caution flag:

Disney’s Marvel movie Eternals will continue to reign at No. 1, down -60% to -65% in weekend 2 from its $71.3M opening with $25M-$28.5M

2c   think the hold will be better due to lack of competition: 4th weekend of Dune, 6th weekend of Bond, 7th weekend of Venom and CLIFFORD Scared Emoticon Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

On 11/9/2021 at 9:05 PM, paperheart said:

Deadline already throwing up the caution flag:

Disney’s Marvel movie Eternals will continue to reign at No. 1, down -60% to -65% in weekend 2 from its $71.3M opening with $25M-$28.5M

2c   think the hold will be better due to lack of competition: 4th weekend of Dune, 6th weekend of Bond, 7th weekend of Venom and CLIFFORD Scared Emoticon Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

It is the only game in town next weekend.  The weekend after Ghostbusters Afterlife, which will be the number one movie that weekend.

On 11/9/2021 at 6:50 PM, SpideyFein said:

I saw it on Thursday night, and wasn't impressed. It had some good action, a cool story, but a lot of backstory. They were introducing the characters, so it was understood that this would happen, but they dragged out certain components longer than needed. My main critique was that it lacked a "main" supervillain. I know that it's not a requirement to have a big baddie, but it would have been cool to introduce someone new.  There was a twist, but I won't go into detail about it. This was a different type of superhero movie. The Eternals themselves were well played, and had some cool powers. It did have some nice visuals as well, done the Marvel way. My brother's enjoyed it, but felt it was lacking some "meat" as well.

This seems to be more what I am hearing from people that are not strongly in favor of Eternals.

Great casting. Solid performances. It is the structure of the story that didn't allow their characters to flesh out and grow. So to blindly state this is universally loved so as to convey allegiance ignores this noted gap.

@piper I'll be able to tell for myself when the bluray is released. :960450673_cheersemoji:

p.s. Iron Man 3 is still not a good film. And Thor (2011) is a fantastic film. :1514325239_yeehawemoji:

On 11/10/2021 at 8:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

Great casting. Solid performances. It is the structure of the story that didn't allow their characters to flesh out and grow. So to blindly state this is universally loved so as to convey allegiance ignores this noted gap.

You haven't even seen the movie so how would you know?

First of all, these characters are (spoiler alert!) thousands and thousands of years old. How much more growing do they need to do? But yes, they do grow in the present day story. But more important is to see where they have come from as it is these experiences that guide their actions in the present day and ultimately shape the outcome of the movie. That is why the structure of the film revolves around the flashback scenes. Yes, according to film writing dogma, the flashback is the big no-no for people who stick to the rulebooks like it's a sports game or something. I can hear all the critics in the theaters blowing their referee foul whistles every time Eternals went back to the past again. But for a movie that takes place in the present day, there is no other way to tell the story of beings who have been around since the dawn of humans. Just ask Highlander.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 11/10/2021 at 8:21 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

You haven't even seen the movie so how would you know?

First of all, these characters are (spoiler alert!) thousands and thousands of years old. How much more growing do they need to do? But yes, they do grow in the present day story. But more important is to see where they have come from as it is these experiences that guide their actions in the present day and ultimately shape the outcome of the movie. That is why the structure of the film revolves around the flashback scenes. Yes, according to film writing dogma, the flashback is the big no-no for people who stick to the rulebooks like it's a sports game or something. I can hear all the critics in the theaters blowing their referee foul whistles every time Eternals went back to the past again. But for a movie that takes place in the present day, there is no other way to tell the story of beings who have been around since the dawn of humans. Just ask Highlander.

Have you rewatched Highlander? Most probably not. But you were riffing to fit your narrative. A wonderfully told story that jumps back and forth between periods to bring the audience up to speed.

As far as have I watched it yet, rather than depending on Rotten Tomatoes or the limited focus wind tunnel to feed my biased views, there are a few reviewers I trust more in as being open to experiencing a good story. And what the few I do check on beforehand are following that same non-universal opinion: great casting, solid delivery, supposedly under-utilized Angelina Jolie but a story that doesn't bring it all together.

I get your new excuse is the flashbacks being the issue, and that general audiences just can't keep up. But yet Eternals is universally celebrated. Come out from the tunnel. It's okay.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's okay, because Iron Man gonna Iron Man, but The Mandarin 'twist' really poops the party.

And think this is the early indicator how the MCC was messing in the movie story. Especially finding out afterwards Rebecca Hall was hired to be the primary villain and then it all changed during production.

We would have had the first female villain in the MCU.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:04 AM, Bosco685 said:

And think this is the early indicator how the MCC was messing in the movie story. Especially finding out afterwards Rebecca Hall was hired to be the primary villain and then it all changed during production.

We would have had the first female villain in the MCU.

In the MCU, comedy is greater than anything else. Drama, stakes, etc.

I've recently been trying to 'ignore' jokes when I see an MCU movie on TV. Civil War, Endgame, etc and without some of the unnecessary one-liners the scenes are dramatically improved. It dawned on me that The Winter Soldier was so good because it takes itself seriously.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:30 AM, Bosco685 said:

I get your new excuse is the flashbacks being the issue, and that general audiences just can't keep up. But yet Eternals is universally celebrated.

I've read a lot of the critics reviews and it tells me that the biggest issue most critics had with Eternals is the constant returning to the past. It is almost half of the movie. Sure, some of the present day plot details could have been a little smoother or tweaked, but those don't earn it the ravaging critics have given the film. It's the movie relying on scenes from the past that they had a problem with, I don't even want to call it "flashback" anymore because they were more than just quick flashbacks. Even Peter Rainer, my favorite critic, complained that just as the present day drama was gearing up, the story goes back to the past again and halting the momentum. Except that was kind of the point. 

I also did not say that general audiences couldn't keep up, because general audiences by the majority liked this movie. General audiences don't care about flashbacks or sticking to filmmaking dogma. Critics do and I'm 99% certain that the fact that almost half of Eternals is told in "flashback" is why a lot of critics gave the film a negative review.

On 11/10/2021 at 9:10 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I've read a lot of the critics reviews and it tells me that the biggest issue most critics had with Eternals is the constant returning to the past. It is almost half of the movie. Sure, some of the present day plot details could have been a little smoother or tweaked, but those don't earn it the ravaging critics have given the film. It's the movie relying on scenes from the past that they had a problem with, I don't even want to call it "flashback" anymore because they were more than just quick flashbacks. Even Peter Rainer, my favorite critic, complained that just as the present day drama was gearing up, the story goes back to the past again and halting the momentum. Except that was kind of the point. 

I also did not say that general audiences couldn't keep up, because general audiences by the majority liked this movie. General audiences don't care about flashbacks or sticking to filmmaking dogma. Critics do and I'm 99% certain that the fact that almost half of Eternals is told in "flashback" is why a lot of critics gave the film a negative review.

:1845314138_shiftyeyesemoji:

On 11/1/2021 at 11:41 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I said one RT critic is, Hollywood in Toto, and I faulted RT for including it as a review as it's practically an automatic rotten review. The general hate towards Eternals I talked about is from social media, YouTubers, and the general public.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:09 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Even with Iron Man's success, if Thor doesn't work, it's possible the MCU doesn't work. But Thor worked and the rest is history. In this context, Thor is underrated as one of the most important comic book movies ever.

Thor worked when they stay true to the character that is loved by fans. In Infinity War Thor endures the intense heat of a star to have a new weapon created: his goal is to get revenge on Thanos. The star nearly kills him and it is only the power of the new weapon that revitalizes him, then Thor returns to midgard shouting "Bring me Thanos!" and smites the ground with Stormbreaker scattering the minions of Thanos. Throwing Stormbreaker at Thanos the enchanted axe blazes through the powerful beam of Thanos and impales him striking a near fatal blow.

https://gfycat.com/somelastingamazontreeboa-thanos-avengers-infinity-war-the-mad-titan

It was magical to watch, and I loved every minute of it. I loved seeing Thor: the God of Thunder on the big screen.

Then, the very next movie he is transformed into Thor: the God of Blubber and becomes a comedic goofball. HATED that. 

Edited by Artboy99

On 11/10/2021 at 9:56 AM, Artboy99 said:

Thor worked when they stay true to the character that is loved by fans. In Infinity War Thor endures the intense heat of a star to have a new weapon created: his goal is to get revenge on Thanos. The star nearly kills him and it is only the power of the new weapon that revitalizes him, then Thor returns to midgard shouting "Bring me Thanos!" and smites the ground with Stormbreaker scattering the minions of Thanos. Throwing Stormbreaker at Thanos the enchanted axe blazes through the powerful beam of Thanos and impales him striking a near fatal blow.

It was magical to watch, and I loved every minute of it. I loved seeing Thor: the God of Thunder on the big screen.

Then, the very next movie he is transformed into Thor: the God of Blubber and becomes a comedic goofball. HATED that. And don't get me started on how they transformed the powerful Hulk into a whiney comedic goofball.

What I mean is for that the the cosmic element of the still developing Phase One and Two MCU to work on screen, and that included the story of the first Avengers movie, Marvel needed to pull off the first Thor movie, which introduced the cosmic element, with a degree of success. They did and the rest is history.