• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

finally saw this today with my son. gotta say i was disappointed. i dont read reviews or watch previews so i was pretty fresh going in. 

i thought marvel would have learned with age of ultron that a bunch of generic CGI villain monsters are boring, but i guess not. this film really makes one appreciate the slow build of many of the individual characters in the avengers on their own before finally assembling a team. it's a real history. this film just wants to skip all that and earn the interest of viewers with a bunch of flashbacks. and few villains can live up to the complexity and depth of josh brolin's performance as thanos in the last 2 big marvel team epics.

ultimately i think there's a reason the eternals was always a B level book compared to marvel's A list characters. and though i think the russo brothers could have made a better movie, i don't think ultimately you can get caviar from a dogfish. 

at least i got to see jon snow and rob stark in a scene together again. would have liked more of harington. 

We went and saw it last night and I enjoyed it.  It was a bit long in parts but overall it flowed pretty well and I left feeling entertained and happy.  Acting was a bit bland in parts so I'll give it a B- but this is in line with Shang-Chi and above Black Widow.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:27 AM, drotto said:

Well, after Disney and the stars of the Eternals saying how they were not going to edit this film, and they stand 100% behind everything in it.  Looks like again money means more than their values.  Rumors starting to spread the film will be edited to remove certain scenes to get the film released in more markets.

https://thedirect.com/article/eternals-disney-sexy-censor-removal-international-release

Did this get confirmed? Or did it come and go without a lot of attention as it happened behind the scenes to avoid disrupting the 'Disney standing its creative ground' cheering (other than China)?

I never read an official confirmation, but it's standard operating procedure for the company to clip anything that could alienate or offend foreign markets. 

On 11/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Larryw7 said:

I never read an official confirmation, but it's standard operating procedure for the company to clip anything that could alienate or offend foreign markets. 

Or adding 4 minutes of Chinese actors doing 'things' to appease the local market as the studios cheers, "See - you're represented!" SOP.

:baiting:

Meanwhile, reality is Disney received huge attention over standing its creative ground and not allowing the Eternals love scene nor LGBTQ+ content to be edited out.

Gay Kiss in 'Eternals' Was Censored in Some Middle Eastern Countries

The same-sex kiss was edited out of the film in the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Lebanon, Iraq, Jordan, Ethiopia, Palestine, Syria, and Turkey. But it wasn’t just the gay kiss that was edited out, it was any and all scenes of physical intimacy and kissing between characters (LGBTQ+ and straight), which is standard in those countries.

Turns out that wasn't the case.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

Meanwhile, reality is Disney received huge attention over standing its creative ground and not allowing the Eternals love scene nor LGBTQ+ content to be edited out.

Gay Kiss in 'Eternals' Was Censored in Some Middle Eastern Countries

Turns out that wasn't the case.

And I get it, if I was in that business I would chop my film to pieces to make it more palatable to all counties if it means one more ticket sold. It’s about putting butts in seats, foreign and domestic. BUT: I wouldn’t make any claims or promises to the contrary beforehand to the directors and people involved in the creative process. Just be upfront. “I know this is your passion project but that kiss is going to cost us a hundred million, so…”

On 11/12/2021 at 6:19 AM, Oddball said:

And I get it, if I was in that business I would chop my film to pieces to make it more palatable to all counties if it means one more ticket sold. It’s about putting butts in seats, foreign and domestic. BUT: I wouldn’t make any claims or promises to the contrary beforehand to the directors and people involved in the creative process. Just be upfront. “I know this is your passion project but that kiss is going to cost us a hundred million, so…”

Totally agree!

But for The Hollywood Reporter to publish Disney refused to make such edits, it had to be confirmed by Disney. So now that it turns out it made edits anyway, that is disingenuous.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:19 AM, rexinnih said:

Thinking of taking the kids (10, 12) tomorrow to see this as they have the day off. They've seen every other MCU movie. Anyone take kids and were they fidgety or did they watch it?

OK, quoting myself here. Took the kids yesterday to see it and overall positive. We've seen all the MCU movies to date but I did prep them it may be a bit different from previous movies. 

While I did feel it was a bit on the long side, thought it was a good story that's going to build for future MCU movies. Yes, it's not the most well known of Marvel properties and while it did some humor/levity, it's not a Guardians of the Galaxy type not well known property movie. 

While we did enjoy it, it was Veterans Day so a few young kids were also in the theater and pretty much seat fidgeting, etc. kept up for the last hour. 

We did see it in 3D and there were some amazing spots to show that off. 

Currently at the theatre waiting for this to begin

based on the wide array of previews (house of Gucci, west side story, sing, kingsman, morbius) this movie isn’t your typical super hero movie 

it makes me think they didn’t know how to market what they have