• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

I have to admit and those who know me understand that I am not the biggest MCU fan as most of their films follow the same formula - I liked this movie a lot 

It’s different and refreshing and I want to see more of it

the bad is the pacing in some parts and the editing was a little too ambitious at times but overall probably the most enjoyable movie from Marvel in a long time 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I have to admit and those who know me understand that I am not the biggest MCU fan as most of their films follow the same formula - I liked this movie a lot 

the bad is the pacing in some parts and the editing was a little too ambitious at times but overall probably the most enjoyable movie from Marvel in a long time 

I'm looking forward to a second viewing, unlike BW & SC, which I hope never to see again.  lollollol 

On 11/12/2021 at 4:44 PM, jsilverjanet said:

On 11/13/2021 at 6:20 AM, TupennyConan said:

I'm looking forward to a second viewing, unlike BW & SC, which I hope never to see again.  lollollol 

Very interesting!

hm

This gives me hope.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:06 AM, Bosco685 said:

Very interesting!

hm

This gives me hope.

The movie isn't without its problems but that's true of all the MCU films. There's none that escapes imperfection.

Arishem's plan was stupid, especially for a god; the Deviants were horrid, ropey, CGI Hulk Dogs & only played the plot role of action villains [just there for the beat 'em ups]; & Gemma Chan's wooden performance fouled-up any hope of chemistry with her leading man. Nevertheless, I consider it a success. It was lovely, fun, and different. Despite the plot flaws, it was smart & thought-provoking.

My biggest concern is that its great success in bringing Arishem to life on film will have stolen the thunder from Galactus' eventual appearance. This is like the Korg vs Thing problem.

Even so, my biggest satisfaction is the film's set-up for the eventual appearance of Galactus.

This is what I had hoped for from the film: a successful standalone movie that ushers in the Cosmic MCU of Phase IV & on.

As for the future of Marvel being discussed in another thread, it is Dr Doom & Galactus. The future is bright. They are Marvel's Luthor & Joker. The best of the best. 

On 11/13/2021 at 8:07 AM, TupennyConan said:

The movie isn't without its problems but that's true of all the MCU films. There's none that escapes imperfection.

Arishem's plan was stupid, especially for a god; the Deviants were horrid, ropey, CGI Hulk Dogs & only played the plot role of action villains [just there for the beat 'em ups]; & Gemma Chan's wooden performance fouled-up any hope of chemistry with her leading man. Nevertheless, I consider it a success. It was lovely, fun, and different. Despite the plot flaws, it was smart & thought-provoking.

My biggest concern is that its great success in bringing Arishem to life on film will have stolen the thunder from Galactus' eventual appearance. This is like the Korg vs Thing problem.

Even so, my biggest satisfaction is the film's set-up for the eventual appearance of Galactus.

This is what I had hoped for from the film: a successful standalone movie that ushers in the Cosmic MCU of Phase IV & on.

As for the future of Marvel being discussed in another thread, it is Dr Doom & Galactus. The future is bright. They are Marvel's Luthor & Joker. The best of the best. 

See, I'd rather have an honest review like this than 'everything is perfect - nothing to worry about here' posts.

Where realsilvermane set himself up for disappointment with BW was how much he talked the film up even it couldn't withstand final scrutiny. Not everything is perfect. Not everything needs to be perfect. And at times let even the MCU learn from its own mistakes. What it has had was dedication to a linked franchise vision. That's the secret sauce that matters in this case for Marvel Studios.

On 11/13/2021 at 6:07 AM, TupennyConan said:

I didn’t think Gemma’s performance was wooden, but I admit I was focusing on different aspects… :x

On 11/13/2021 at 7:22 AM, Bosco685 said:

not terribly surprising but still terrible

2c even with little competition and Thanksgiving bonanza coming, anything less than $25MM puts reaching F9's $173M in question. Deadline saying $27M+, which makes more sense off a $7.8MM Friday.

Edited by paperheart

On 11/13/2021 at 8:07 AM, TupennyConan said:

I kinda don't get a lot of fandom's h***on for Galactus in the MCU. An intergalactic being who eats planets. Okay. As a villain, I don't find that very compelling cinematically considering the breadth of the cosmic side of the MCU so far. Unless Marvel Studios does something more interesting with Galactus, like make the character a hero or even a victim or something, I find the character a little ho hum cinematically as is.

Either way, I think the current trajectory of Phase IV isn't more cosmic stuff but rather the Multiverse and cross-dimensional energy as the new power source.

On 11/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, piper said:

I didn’t think Gemma’s performance was wooden, but I admit I was focusing on different aspects… :x

Yeah, Gemma Chan was great. Even the actress who played Sprite really turned it up at the end. The cast did a great job for the roles they were given.

On 11/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, paperheart said:

not terribly surprising but still terrible

2c even with little competition and Thanksgiving bonanza coming, anything less than $25MM puts reaching F9's $173M in question. Deadline saying $27M+, which makes more sense off a $7.8MM Friday.

Not sure the Thanksgiving bonanza will matter - as next weekend you've got both Ghostbusters: Afterlife and King Richard.

Sure - Resident Evil and House of Gucci bowing Thanksgiving weekend aren't in the same blockbuster league, but I have a hard time believing that any who really want to go see Eternals in the theater wouldn't have done so already in its first three weeks of release.

On 11/13/2021 at 12:41 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Not sure the Thanksgiving bonanza will matter - as next weekend you've got both Ghostbusters: Afterlife and King Richard.

Sure - Resident Evil and House of Gucci bowing Thanksgiving weekend aren't in the same blockbuster league, but I have a hard time believing that any who really want to go see Eternals in the theater wouldn't have done so already in its first three weeks of release.

I thinks Ghostbusters opening weekend is going to surprise people.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:18 PM, drotto said:

I thinks Ghostbusters opening weekend is going to surprise people.

Agree. I think it will do *really* well.

The trailers have been surprisingly good.

And Jason Reitman's got a solid track record - with films like Thank You for Smoking, Juno and Up in the Air under his belt.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:52 PM, Gatsby77 said:

And Jason Reitman's got a solid track record - with films like Thank You for Smoking, Juno and Up in the Air under his belt.

Plus, Paul Rudd is high profile and very well liked.  He is one of the few actors that may still have drawing power.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:52 PM, Gatsby77 said:

I think there is very little interest in a new Ghostbusters movie. Nobody showed up to the lady Ghostbusters movie and I think this movie will come in below expectations. First, people want their ghosts scary. That's the trend. The funny ghost thing is dead. Second, this movie missed its best release window when Halloween passed. SOmeone should be fired for letting this movie's release not coincide with the spookiest day of the year. I'm not saying Eternals will threepeat at #1 next weekend, but I also don't think Ghostbusters 3.0 will cut into its potential earnings that much, either, even if Paul Rudd just got voted Peeple's setsiest dude on the planet.

That's my prediction, anyway.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 11/13/2021 at 12:00 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I think there is very little interest in a new Ghostbusters movie. Nobody showed up to the lady Ghostbusters movie and I think this movie will come in below expectations. First, people want their ghosts scary. That's the trend. The funny ghost thing is dead. Second, this movie missed its best release window when Halloween passed. SOmeone should be fired for letting this movie's release not coincide with the spookiest day of the year. I'm not saying Eternals will threepeat at #1 next weekend, but I also don't think Ghostbusters 3.0 will cut into its potential earnings that much, either, even if Paul Rudd just got voted Peeple's setsiest dude on the planet.

That's my prediction, anyway.

I think your wrong, there was no interest in the lady GB since it was horrible.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:06 PM, Finhead said:

I think your wrong, there was no interest in the lady GB since it was horrible.

I think that non-interest carries over to this new movie, even though it seems to be getting positive first reactions. It'll surely take the #1 spot, but I still think a lot of people will also go see Eternals that weekend and that GB comes in under expectations. Disney's Encanto will demolish all Thanksgiving weekend.

We'll see.