• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

During Screen Rant’s visit to the Eternals set in January of 2020, Costume Designer Sammy Sheldon Differ and Costume Effects Supervisor Ivo Coveney discussed the looks of the Eternals' costumes. They are vastly different from costumes that audiences have seen in previous MCU entries. Through these exciting new costumes, Eternals is setting itself up to be the most different-feeling MCU movie yet. Check out Differ's comments on how they approached the costumes below:

Sheldon Differ: "We wanted these to feel organic. So, we're hoping that when you see them in the film you go, 'what is it' and not, 'I can see that's armor, or it's a Spandex suit, or something with a print over it that makes it look like in a mesh or something.' We wanted to create something with a bit more artistic and organic and we talked a lot with Ryan in the VisDev department about what the intention was with the surfaces, and is it metal, is it color, is it - you know there's a lot of to and fro and then experimentation. Because they definitely weren't this straightforward. Here's the concept, let's just make it. It's been a long journey of collaboration and experimenting."

Ridloff joined her Eternals co-stars Angelina Jolie (Thena), Gemma Chan (Sersi) and Salma Hayek (Ajak) in an interview with Elle.com, where she discussed the delivery process for scripts. "They had a man in a trench coat—I'm not making this up, I'm not kidding—a man in a trench coat who'd come over to my house at 11 at night with new -script pages, in a manila envelope. You had to trade them off with the old -script pages. Then he'd just walk off into the night. It was very undercover, covert," she said.

Early reactions seem to be all over the place ranging from epic and beautiful to weird. Looks like Chloe Zhao made a Chloe Zhao movie in the MCU. One early reaction said it felt like a National Geographic movie at times. Using nature and reality is an element of her movies that’s inspired by her hero Terence Malick. Really looking forward to seeing this obviously.

The two dudes from Reel Rejects give two different kinda-fan level takes on the movie. One couldn’t get into it as much and the other who liked it seems to say it’s a movie that truly feels like a MCU film that  actually is a shift from the usual superhero action yarn and attempts to be a little more thoughtful?

On 10/19/2021 at 8:45 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Early reactions seem to be all over the place ranging from epic and beautiful to weird. Looks like Chloe Zhao made a Chloe Zhao movie in the MCU. One early reaction said it felt like a National Geographic movie at times. Using nature and reality is an element of her movies that’s inspired by her hero Terence Malick. Really looking forward to seeing this obviously.

I do like that aspect. I think I will get a lot out of it as I do enjoy Malick's visuals. Not sure on the kids but that may depend on the overall length. 

Disney Urges Fans Not To Spoil Eternals

Now that Eternals has had its world premiere, Disney's President of Marketing, Asad Ayaz, is taking to Twitter to urge fans and those in the press who have seen the film during early screenings to not share spoilers on social media. This, Ayaz says, will help protect the experience of watching the film and experiencing its reveals, which many have worked hard to keep secret.

Reviewers are just posting credit spoilers out there with no care in the world.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:10 PM, TupennyConan said:

Please discuss not discussing the film to help generate word of mouth. Thanks! 

:insane:

But it is a little out of control. I was reading an article reviewing the movie, and before I realized it started outlining characters appearing in one of the two credit scenes. No spoiler warnings like is common.

So they definitely felt like anything was to be discussed.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

:insane:

But it is a little out of control. I was reading an article reviewing the movie, and before I realized it started outlining characters appearing in one of the two credit scenes. No spoiler warnings like is common.

So they definitely felt like anything was to be discussed.

Bosco, dear chap, please don't read reviews of movies you wish to see spoiler free.

I think you'll find this film will take it's time, as the world at large is still coping with the aftermath of the Infinity War (which Ajak and Ikaris are discussing in the trailer). To judge from clips thus far, the Eternals appear to be dealing exclusively with the Deviant threat and possibly their Celestial masters, as I'm guessing they have developed a strong affinity with Earth.

I think the four cosmic "snaps" (courtesy of the Infinity Gauntlet) will be a macguffin for future films. Rocket himself stated this released a tremendous amount of energy, which was probably a beacon for the Marvel Cosmics. If the Silver Surfer was looking for a hint of a suitable world in this galaxy for his master, this would be it.

Edited by World Devourer