• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 10:20 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

The winning streak continues!

Another epic film from Marvel Studios.

See what happens when you blindly cheerlead? 

D3C5FCBD-DE78-4701-A4AF-8A2ED733EF7F.jpeg

Edited by Oddball
Now play my avatars theme music in your head after reading.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:54 AM, Oddball said:

Wow!

I bet though through social media bots Disney will push #SaveEternals with the messaging how critics are just haters and never-MCUers.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:06 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

But...but...this other critic below gave Eternals a glowing review! See what happens when you cherry pick articles?

634593334_deadlineeternalsheadline.thumb.JPG.00ba02108277a1a81f5ea35417e94b5a.JPG

The fact that you thought it needed to be pointed out that I clearly cherry picked it is why things go over your head. I could post something legitimate as far as an average of good and bad reviews based off Metacritic and RT if you like. But since my review is the only one that matters, I’ll post it after watching. I never trash a movie until I’ve seen it. 

On 10/28/2021 at 4:54 AM, Oddball said:

Journalists rarely write their own headlines. The headline creation is done in the editing and finishing process before it goes to print or the internet. Nothing in Dana Stevens' Slate review above speaks to the really negative tone of her review's headline. She doesn't call the movie a disaster. She says it's "one of the weakest MCU movies" and is "meandering" and "sluggish." Well, Chloe Zhao kinda makes meandering movies. The Rider and Nomadland aren't particularly notable for their super tight narrative. Here are the review portions of her Eternals review article:

"However you may feel about the place superhero blockbusters have occupied in the cultural landscape for the past dozen-plus years, there is something ineluctably sad about the way directing one has become the primary marker of success for a gifted emerging filmmaker. Distinguish yourself in your field, as Chloé Zhao did when she won the Best Director and Best Picture Oscars last year for her contemplative indie road movie Nomadland, and you are ceremoniously handed the keys to the Marvel car—a gigantic CGI-enhanced vehicle that can navigate black holes and shoot rays of plasma out of its headlights, but that always moves in the same direction to arrive at the same predetermined spot.

That’s not to say that Zhao’s Eternals doesn’t feel different from the average Marvel offering. This is a movie with a prominently featured gay male relationship, a (PG-13–rated) sex scene between two other major characters, the first deaf superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Lauren Ridloff’s Makkari), and the most diverse cast of superbeings the franchise has yet offered. Eternals is as sociologically inclusive and as pictorially beautiful as any movie in the franchise, with scene after scene bathed in the warm light of Zhao’s favorite time of day, the pre-dusk “golden hour.” But it’s also one of the weakest Marvel movies I’ve seen, meandering and wan. It takes place over a vast timespan in locations all over the globe (and the galaxy), yet it has the curiously claustrophobic feel of a Saturday afternoon serial filmed entirely in a windowless studio.

The film, scripted by Zhao, Patrick Burleigh, and Ryan and Kaz Firpo, weaves plenty of jokes in with long stretches of intergalactic hocus pocus and equally long action set pieces. But the parts only sporadically cohere into anything like a whole. Zhao, a director whose previous three films have all centered on the everyday lives of working-class rural outsiders, seems ill-suited to a movie of this scale and frankly uninterested in the fight scenes.

Perhaps this movie’s sluggish pace, what I can only describe as a lack of narrative muscle tone, can be attributed to the lack of a single identifiable villain. Instead of the Avengers saga’s mauve meanie Thanos, whose staunch belief in the rightness of his must-destroy-half-the-universe mission made him an actual character with a comprehensible if horrifying motivation, all we get here are sad ropy CGI dogs with no apparent goals beyond the desire to destroy the Eternals. A scene where Phastos, standing in the ruins of Hiroshima, berates himself for allowing his technological advances to make way for the Atomic Age feels in questionable taste when the movie’s ultimate conflict takes place not in the crucible of the human soul but in a landscape overrun by animated superbeasts.

Eternals’ cinematography incorporates a little more natural light and open landscape than your average Marvel joint, but the demands of a $200 million corporate enterprise ultimately prevail over any aspirations to auteurship. That’s OK—a filmmaker of Zhao’s gifts has earned the right to try her hand at what, like it or not, is one of the dominant genres of the 21st century. She has also earned the right to make a bad movie, shrug it off and move on. Whatever world she decides to build next, I hope its heroes are significantly less super."

On 10/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, Oddball said:

The fact that you thought it needed to be pointed out that I clearly cherry picked it is why things go over your head. I could post something legitimate as far as an average of good and bad reviews based off Metacritic and RT if you like. But since my review is the only one that matters, I’ll post it after watching. I never trash a movie until I’ve seen it. 

Nothing goes over my head.

Except like birds and airplanes.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/28/2021 at 6:38 AM, TupennyConan said:

lollollol 

The only frauds more make believe than Hollywood filmmakers are the Hollywood film reviewers.

I'll judge this one for myself.

I happen to like Coco Chanel. 

On 10/28/2021 at 7:34 AM, Oddball said:

^^

The best way to be with any of these movies. Though some on here sportf*&# non-MCU productions without ever even seeing them. Like there is some cult requirement.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:55 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

MCU shills will blame fans for not being open-minded to 'different' things, which is not why this movie will be criticized.

Guardians of the Galaxy was different. Doctor Strange was different. Just face the fact that poop look, smells, and tastes like poop.

If somebody tells me something I want to taste tastes like poop, I prefer to taste it myself before I conclude that it is either poop or a delightful pu pu platter.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:38 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Journalists rarely write their own headlines. The headline creation is done in the editing and finishing process before it goes to print or the internet. Nothing in Dana Stevens' Slate review above speaks to the really negative tone of her review's headline. She doesn't call the movie a disaster. She says it's "one of the weakest MCU movies" and is "meandering" and "sluggish." Well, Chloe Zhao kinda makes meandering movies. The Rider and Nomadland aren't particularly notable for their super tight narrative. Here are the review portions of her Eternals review article:

"However you may feel about the place superhero blockbusters have occupied in the cultural landscape for the past dozen-plus years, there is something ineluctably sad about the way directing one has become the primary marker of success for a gifted emerging filmmaker. Distinguish yourself in your field, as Chloé Zhao did when she won the Best Director and Best Picture Oscars last year for her contemplative indie road movie Nomadland, and you are ceremoniously handed the keys to the Marvel car—a gigantic CGI-enhanced vehicle that can navigate black holes and shoot rays of plasma out of its headlights, but that always moves in the same direction to arrive at the same predetermined spot.

That’s not to say that Zhao’s Eternals doesn’t feel different from the average Marvel offering. This is a movie with a prominently featured gay male relationship, a (PG-13–rated) sex scene between two other major characters, the first deaf superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (Lauren Ridloff’s Makkari), and the most diverse cast of superbeings the franchise has yet offered. Eternals is as sociologically inclusive and as pictorially beautiful as any movie in the franchise, with scene after scene bathed in the warm light of Zhao’s favorite time of day, the pre-dusk “golden hour.” But it’s also one of the weakest Marvel movies I’ve seen, meandering and wan. It takes place over a vast timespan in locations all over the globe (and the galaxy), yet it has the curiously claustrophobic feel of a Saturday afternoon serial filmed entirely in a windowless studio.

The film, scripted by Zhao, Patrick Burleigh, and Ryan and Kaz Firpo, weaves plenty of jokes in with long stretches of intergalactic hocus pocus and equally long action set pieces. But the parts only sporadically cohere into anything like a whole. Zhao, a director whose previous three films have all centered on the everyday lives of working-class rural outsiders, seems ill-suited to a movie of this scale and frankly uninterested in the fight scenes.

Perhaps this movie’s sluggish pace, what I can only describe as a lack of narrative muscle tone, can be attributed to the lack of a single identifiable villain. Instead of the Avengers saga’s mauve meanie Thanos, whose staunch belief in the rightness of his must-destroy-half-the-universe mission made him an actual character with a comprehensible if horrifying motivation, all we get here are sad ropy CGI dogs with no apparent goals beyond the desire to destroy the Eternals. A scene where Phastos, standing in the ruins of Hiroshima, berates himself for allowing his technological advances to make way for the Atomic Age feels in questionable taste when the movie’s ultimate conflict takes place not in the crucible of the human soul but in a landscape overrun by animated superbeasts.

Eternals’ cinematography incorporates a little more natural light and open landscape than your average Marvel joint, but the demands of a $200 million corporate enterprise ultimately prevail over any aspirations to auteurship. That’s OK—a filmmaker of Zhao’s gifts has earned the right to try her hand at what, like it or not, is one of the dominant genres of the 21st century. She has also earned the right to make a bad movie, shrug it off and move on. Whatever world she decides to build next, I hope its heroes are significantly less super."

How many more responses will there be to that post? It will be ok, I promise. I’m sure its a good movie.

Edited by Oddball

On 10/28/2021 at 8:15 AM, Oddball said:

How many more responses will there be to that post? It will be ok, I promise. I’m sure its a good movie.

The review article you posted points to my previous posts how public opinion on movies can be unjustly manipulated by critics swarming a movie and the flawed RT aggregator. The Dana Stevens Slate article points to another cultural manipulator that's even out of the journalist's hands, that the final editor of the article might title the review with a sensationalist yet misleading headline in order to get more views on the article, and thus more ad revenue from that article. 

On 10/28/2021 at 8:27 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

The review article you posted points to my previous posts how public opinion on movies can be unjustly manipulated by critics swarming a movie and the flawed RT aggregator. The Dana Stevens Slate article points to another cultural manipulator that's even out of the journalist's hands, that the final editor of the article might title the review with a sensationalist yet misleading headline in order to get more views on the article, and thus more ad revenue from that article. 

Dana_Stevens01.PNG.9bdd232178c36c59a59cf7e6021eb8e5.PNG

That is such a shift in viewpoint within only a few months. So when it is positive then things are good, but when bad there must be a conspiracy?

On 10/28/2021 at 8:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

Dana_Stevens01.PNG.9bdd232178c36c59a59cf7e6021eb8e5.PNG

That is such a shift in viewpoint within only a few months. So when it is positive then things are good, but when bad there must be a conspiracy?

I say the Black Widow article is also another misleading headline. While the subtitle "It reminded me why big screens and superheroes go so well together" is lifted from Stevens' article, the main title "Black Widow is a thrilling remedy for sexism" is not. But that headline will have you believe that Dana Stevens is "reminded" that superheroes and big screens go well together directly because the movie is a "thrilling remedy for sexism." That's misleading. Stevens didn't exactly say that. And that's two in a row for that website. It seems to me that Slate has a practice of titling its articles with misleading headlines in order to get more views. Nothing will get you more hits than throwing "sexism" or "disaster" in your headline.

Edited by @therealsilvermane