• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2021 at 3:27 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

The review article you posted points to my previous posts how public opinion on movies can be unjustly manipulated by critics swarming a movie and the flawed RT aggregator. The Dana Stevens Slate article points to another cultural manipulator that's even out of the journalist's hands, that the final editor of the article might title the review with a sensationalist yet misleading headline in order to get more views on the article, and thus more ad revenue from that article. 

Tell me more…

On 10/28/2021 at 8:45 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I say the Black Widow article is also another misleading headline. While the subtitle "It reminded me why big screens and superheroes go so well together" is lifted from Stevens' article, the main title "Black Widow is a thrilling remedy for sexism" is not. But that headline will have you believe that Dana Stevens is "reminded" that superheroes and big screens go well together directly because the movie is a "thrilling remedy for sexism." That's misleading. Stevens didn't exactly say that. And that's two in a row for that website. It seems to me that Slate has a practice of titling its articles with misleading headlines in order to get more views. Nothing will get you more hits than throwing "sexism" or "disaster" in your headline.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Oh look, someone even wrote an internet piece a few years ago about how Slate.com posts clickbait headlines.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/slate-clickbait-headlines/

I think you take the MCU rare negative comments extra personal. Whether it is reviewers, critics or even studio creators. Like with Dune's director how then you were pouncing on anything negative to post in that thread because you were going to teach him a lesson.

Now to see you are going to post discrediting references to ensure Slate gets a taste of your vengeance as well. That's not a fan: that's a cult fanatic.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

I think you take the MCU rare negative comments extra personal. Whether it is reviewers, critics or even studio creators. Like with Dune's director how then you were pouncing on anything negative to post in that thread because you were going to teach him a lesson.

Now to see you are going to post discrediting references to ensure Slate gets a taste of your vengeance as well. That's not a fan: that's a cult fanatic.

I don’t even know what Slate is, I could have cherry picked a dozen different negative articles but that wasn’t the point. Now I have a rabid MCU dog clamped to my leg.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, Oddball said:

I don’t even know what Slate is, I could have cherry picked a dozen different negative articles but that wasn’t the point. Now I have a rabid MCU dog clamped to my leg.

Just imagine if you had said 'the words'.

captain_marvel.gif.6ef46e1817448da943b22118cacfbf39.gif

:fear:

On 10/28/2021 at 9:21 AM, Bosco685 said:

Ah, I see. Your previous comments about MCU cult fanatics was pointed at me. Such positivity in the face of rare negative comments. Anyway...

First of all, I just like balance.

Second, yes, I have tired of these countless "cinema" directors taking pot shots at the MCU. I happen to be a Marvel Comics fan (it's why I'm here) and it's a lot like my parents and teachers and peers from my youth calling my comic book collection and comic book interest as nothing better than garbage. Screw them. But I did see Dune and I actually liked it and posted my positive thought on the movie over in the Dune thread.

Third, Oddball posted a not so positive Eternals review with a really really negative headline that turns out to be a misleading headline, which I've now pointed out happens to be a common practice at Slate.com. Pointing out that shady practice by that website now makes me a cult fanatic? Okay, maybe I didn't point it out with DC movies or other flicks here but that's because I'm here mostly for the MCU thread discussions. I get it, because I support the MCU Captain Marvel and defend it from haters here that makes me some kind of fanatical Don Quixote. Ever consider that that itself might be a reach? I do believe I've been critical of MCU films in these forums, whether it's IH, Thor 2, or even Dr Strange. I've pointed out here how I thought the Russo Bros MCU films are riddled with plot holes IMO. I didn't think Black Widow was that great and I posted my thoughts. If I don't think Eternals is that great or if I love it I'll post my honest thoughts about it. So I'm a MCU cult fanatic because I love the Captain Marvel movie? I might be a fanatic for Carol Danvers, probably because she has so many troll haters in the world (again, I like balance), but I don't believe I'm a MCU fanatic. Die hard fan? Yes. But I don't picket at the gates of the homes of studio heads or post death threats to their social media.

It does not take a lot of research to see we are not cherry picking articles.  I will sit down and read a dozen or so different ones, and see what the critic is saying not the headline.  Trying to see what the consensus really is does not take much effort, granted the general public puts in zero effort. Often when you actually read the reviews RT is basing its score on, the tomatoes do not seem like they were taken from the same article. But, I digress.....

The Etermal reviews are as a whole, seem midling to negative.  There seems to be a consensus that the film feels long, is overstuffed with too many characters, and is disappointing.  

Most of us here will see the film, and form our own opponion.  In a broader world, these reviews will have a negative impact on Eternals.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:32 AM, Oddball said:

I did enjoy peeing on your leg for a few posts...

giphy.gif

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 10/28/2021 at 9:48 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Ah, I see. Your previous comments about MCU cult fanatics was pointed at me. Such positivity in the face of rare negative comments. Anyway...

First of all, I just like balance.

Second, yes, I have tired of these countless "cinema" directors taking pot shots at the MCU. I happen to be a Marvel Comics fan (it's why I'm here) and it's a lot like my parents and teachers and peers from my youth calling my comic book collection and comic book interest as nothing better than garbage. Screw them. But I did see Dune and I actually liked it and posted my positive thought on the movie over in the Dune thread.

Third, Oddball posted a not so positive Eternals review with a really really negative headline that turns out to be a misleading headline, which I've now pointed out happens to be a common practice at Slate.com. Pointing out that shady practice by that website now makes me a cult fanatic? Okay, maybe I didn't point it out with DC movies or other flicks here but that's because I'm here mostly for the MCU thread discussions. I get it, because I support the MCU Captain Marvel and defend it from haters here that makes me some kind of fanatical Don Quixote. Ever consider that that itself might be a reach? I do believe I've been critical of MCU films in these forums, whether it's IH, Thor 2, or even Dr Strange. I've pointed out here how I thought the Russo Bros MCU films are riddled with plot holes IMO. I didn't think Black Widow was that great and I posted my thoughts. If I don't think Eternals is that great or if I love it I'll post my honest thoughts about it. So I'm a MCU cult fanatic because I love the Captain Marvel movie? I might be a fanatic for Carol Danvers, probably because she has so many troll haters in the world (again, I like balance), but I don't believe I'm a MCU fanatic. Die hard fan? Yes. But I don't picket at the gates of the homes of studio heads or post death threats to their social media.

I think you ignore your own behavior when you have purposely gone out of your way to mock and degrade the contributions of non-MCU films and TV shows. In a very blind way.

Being an 'die hard fan' doesn't mean you have to put your blinders on. Nor attack other films and TV shows as a sign of fealty. Even with Kevin Feige, on rare occasions because he doesn't want to lose box office he has called out such behavior. And even he takes the time to acknowledge other studio contributions in a positive way.

Just because others didn't care for Captain Marvel doesn't make them a default hater. They didn't like it.

On 10/28/2021 at 9:58 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think you ignore your own behavior when you have purposely gone out of your way to mock and degrade the contributions of non-MCU films and TV shows. In a very blind way.

Being an 'die hard fan' doesn't mean you have to put your blinders on. Nor attack other films and TV shows as a sign of fealty. Even with Kevin Feige, on rare occasions because he doesn't want to lose box office he has called out such behavior. And even he takes the time to acknowledge other studio contributions in a positive way.

Just because others didn't care for Captain Marvel doesn't make them a default hater. They didn't like it.

Please do not mention the C word, you know where the conversation will go after that.

Personal truth: Captain Marvel is mediocre.
Universal truth: Captain Marvel is generally considered mediocre.
Political truth: Captain Marvel is better than mediocre.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

Honestly, it seems that the way critics and media are responding to Marvel and the MCU may be changing in general.  I do not know if it means they are tired of the MCU, no longer feel the need to suck up to Disney, or there is a decline in quality, but the tone of the articles is changing.  

I saw this series of articles yesterday, and my primary though was not on the content, but more surprise  this was being said now.

https://www.cnet.com/news/marvel-producer-was-concerned-avengers-endgame-all-female-scene-would-be-pandering/

Edited by drotto

On 10/28/2021 at 10:09 AM, drotto said:

Honestly, it seems like how the critics and media are responding the Marvel and the MCU may be changing in general.  I do not know if it means they are tired of the MCU, no longer feel the need to suck up to Disney, or there is a decline in quality, but the tone of the articles is changing.

I wouldn't say that because the critical and media response to Shang Chi has been almost 100% glowing.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:09 AM, drotto said:

I do not know if it means they are tired of the MCU, no longer feel the need to suck up to Disney, or there is a decline in quality, but the tone of the articles is changing.

The bold were always going to happen after the Infinity Saga.

They had a franchise that kept building, and building, and building toward a single goal. The hype was insurmountable. Now, they have to soft reboot of sorts, when legacy characters are gone but the universe is the same. You can't recreate what they did with the original Avengers and Thanos.

The multiverse with Sony characters, etc, is a short loop solution to the problem but it doesn't solve the issue.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 10/28/2021 at 10:12 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

I wouldn't say that because the critical and media response to Shang Chi has been almost 100% glowing.

You just spent multiple long winded posts ripping critics, headlines, and RT, but now you use critics to defend Shang - Chi.  I will admit, I have not seen the movie, objectively the movie did OK, not great.  But considering it was a MCU film, it created very little buzz or word of mouth

It's almost a scientific and statistical fact at this point that a very large portion of the toxic hate directed at Brie Larson and Captain Marvel is for reasons other than the quality of her movie. If a movie's quality generated such hate, then there should be equal hate directed at Iron Man, Thor, Hulk (IM3, IH, and Thor 2 are the worst MCU films), and the Wasp (because Captain Marvel is a superior film to Ant-Man and the Wasp). But there isn't. That's because most of the CM hate is agenda driven. And frankly, that's gross. Being a clean freak, I like to try and clean up gross things. To say that some of that grossness doesn't somehow find its way into these threads is to put blinders on.

On 10/28/2021 at 4:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

A member of a movie forum I belong to that loves everything MCU got an early screening last week. His reaction:

eternals_fan01.PNG.8f3d41d83619db0fc06d3d224533bf4d.PNG

This was their most anticipated MCU film?
I guess the Spidey movie technically isn't MCU?
Because that is the movie I am looking forward to the most.

On 10/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The bold were always going to happen after the Infinity Saga.

They had a franchise that kept building, and building, and building toward a single goal. The hype was insurmountable. Now, they have to soft reboot of sorts, when legacy characters are gone but the universe is the same. You can't recreate what they did with the original Avengers and Thanos.

The multiverse with Sony characters, etc, is a short loop solution to the problem but it doesn't solve the issue.

There is no issue. The MCU is doing just fine without RDJ, Chris Evans, or ScarJo.

Edited by @therealsilvermane