• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU's THE ETERNALS (11/6/20)
8 8

3,079 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2021 at 10:54 AM, Bosco685 said:

There really was a simpler critic time where you knew who to at least hear their opinion, and then made a decision.

Now you have all these industry feeders that were potential directors and producers doing all they can to be part of the industry.

On 11/9/2021 at 10:01 AM, Muno42 said:

I miss when Siskel & Ebert, and only a handful of other movie critics existed. The critically acclaimed bombs (and critically hated successes!) were not common. Usually the critics were right (e.g., Princess Bride). Now, every goober with a failed writer/director stick up their bum has a review.

Dagnabbit, now I sound old.

(Feeling my age also) Agree, I rarely listen to critics to determine or provide pre-judgment prior to my seeing a movie. But dang, anyone with an internet connection can now weigh in. 

On 11/9/2021 at 3:27 PM, paperheart said:

nope, stank WOM; #26 of 26 ^^

Not even close to being as bad as Iron Man 3 or Thor 2.  It's a top 10 to 15 movie for me out of the 26 so far.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:37 PM, piper said:

Not even close to being as bad as Iron Man 3 or Thor 2.  It's a top 10 to 15 movie for me out of the 26 so far.

I loved Eternals, and the weekend high had it as my favorite MCU as it does what no other MCU film has done prior and, for me, does it masterfully. However, I ultimately can't put it above my personal fav Captain Marvel, and the execution of Endgame was just kinda flawless. So Eternals is #3 on my MCU favorite list.

On 11/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, piper said:

I'll also add the first Thor film is in my top 5.  I know many will disagree.

Even with Iron Man's success, if Thor doesn't work, it's possible the MCU doesn't work. But Thor worked and the rest is history. In this context, Thor is underrated as one of the most important comic book movies ever.

The public seems to have enjoyed it, the boardies in this thread have positive opinions, and so I have every confidence that I’ll like it when it appears on Blu-Ray.  I feel on this one I’ll ignore the film critics, as it’s one of my favourite Kirby creations and I’m likely to get what’s going on better than a lot of them, anyway.  Forty years of reading stories about the group can generate a very different insight and perspective.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/9/2021 at 6:14 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The public seems to have enjoyed it, the boardies in this thread have positive opinions, and so I have every confidence that I’ll like it when it appears on Blu-Ray.  I feel on this one I’ll ignore the film critics, as it’s one of my favourite Kirby creations and I’m likely to get what’s going on better than a lot of them, anyway.  Forty years of reading stories about the group can generate a very different insight and perspective.

4-6 board members have noted seeing the movie, one additional had planned to see it and cancelled his tickets for now, and the rest has been "Will It Fail" and "No It Won't Fail" and how RT and CinemaScore indicators that send mixed signals between a 'B' and an ever-decreasing RT audience rating. But I agree, I am confident this film will make it to bluray too and I will see it.

:tink:

On 11/9/2021 at 6:32 PM, Bosco685 said:

4-6 board members have noted seeing the movie, one additional had planned to see it and cancelled his tickets for now, and the rest has been "Will It Fail" and "No It Won't Fail" and how RT and CinemaScore indicators that send mixed signals between a 'B' and an ever-decreasing RT audience rating. But I agree, I am confident this film will make it to bluray too and I will see it.

:tink:

And I believe of the 4-6 board members here who posted that they saw it, all at least generally liked the movie. So that's like a 100% CGC Boards French Tomahto Cinemascare so far.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 11/9/2021 at 6:39 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

And I believe of the 4-6 board members here who saw it, all at least generally liked the movie. So that's like a 100% CGC French Tomahto Cinemascare so far.

:roflmao:

"From my unbiased opinion I'd like to state..."

:kidaround:

On 11/9/2021 at 6:14 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Ken, forgive me.

I forgot to note all the positive posts from a Marvel Entertainment video that naturally was unbiased. And of course random sites. My bad.

Disney4ever.thumb.PNG.d53ae3bc3892d215bf66c233cf33555d.PNG

I saw it on Thursday night, and wasn't impressed. It had some good action, a cool story, but a lot of backstory. They were introducing the characters, so it was understood that this would happen, but they dragged out certain components longer than needed. My main critique was that it lacked a "main" supervillain. I know that it's not a requirement to have a big baddie, but it would have been cool to introduce someone new.  There was a twist, but I won't go into detail about it. This was a different type of superhero movie. The Eternals themselves were well played, and had some cool powers. It did have some nice visuals as well, done the Marvel way. My brother's enjoyed it, but felt it was lacking some "meat" as well.