• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

What were the hardest newstand Atom Age books to find?

That's 1950s isn't it ??

Apart from the last couple on my Wanted Poster, probably the entire set of It's Game Time. They're really scarce. And Sugar And Spike number one and two.

What were the hardest newstand Silver Age books to find?

There are no really really hard Silver Age books.

Probably the hardest are Teen Beat and Teen Beam

That bit of info is one of the hardest it seems for collectors early in their gathering stages to grasp and retain. Thanks often to dealers who over hype scarcity of silver age books. Especially the ones they happen to currently have, oddly enough.

There is a small dealer who I used to deal with, no more, that was one of the worst in that regard.

What were the hardest newstand Silver Age books to find?

There are no really really hard Silver Age books.

Probably the hardest are Teen Beat and Teen Beam

That bit of info is one of the hardest it seems for collectors early in their gathering stages to grasp and retain. Thanks often to dealers who over hype scarcity of silver age books. Especially the ones they happen to currently have, oddly enough.

There is a small dealer who I used to deal with, no more, that was one of the worst in that regard.

Well dealers aren't wrong when speaking of grade issues. There are still alot of issues incredibly difficult to get in grade, but Ian was never chasing HG copies. With the task before him, he would needed a few more 00's in the bank account, and probably 30 more years to complete.

Edited by brasseye

If you're collecting Silver Age, they're all easily available unless you're only interested in the grade.

I merely collect the comics.

No Silver Age comic is tough if you have the money to purchase it. NONE.

Whereas no matter how much money you have, there are loads of Golden Age that will take years to find, or maybe never. I'd hate to have to find another New Adventures 26 and 27, and The Big Book Of Fun Comics, and Double Action 2, not to mention Buzzy 70 and Girls Love 5.

If you're collecting Silver Age, they're all easily available unless you're only interested in the grade.

Whereas no matter how much money you have, there are loads of Golden Age that will take years to find, or maybe never. I'd hate to have to find another New Adventures 26 and 27, and The Big Book Of Fun Comics, and Double Action 2, not to mention Buzzy 70 and Girls Love 5.

(thumbs u

How did it feel when you took possession of that last New Adventure? I'm a birder, and there's a famous story in birding circles of a man who spent a lifetime trying to see the rare Connecticut warbler, which constantly eluded him no matter how hard he tried to track it down. When he finally found one, he described the experience as the saddest day of his life. The quest that had defined his life for so long was suddenly gone. Did you feel something like that? Or did you just jump up and down in giddy celebration?

Because the promos are so hard to find, and the list is incomplete and ever evolving, there was no point when it ever felt TOTALLY complete and still doesn't.

Here's what I think I still need...

ADVERTISE IN DC AND JOIN THE STARS

CARTOON NETWORK PRESENTS Platinum Edition - 1

COMIC CAVALCADE GIVEAWAY - 3 ("The Twain Shall Meet")

FLASH TV BROCHURE GIVEAWAY - 1

GOOD TRIUMPHS OVER EVIL (M.C. Gaines)

LOONEY TUNES TYSON MINI-COMICS "The Great Scavenger Hunt" - 7

LOONEY TUNES TYSON FIRST SERIES - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 except for the Daffy Duck, and the Yosemite Sam

OVERSEAS EDITIONS for US Armed Forces - Superman 27, 28, 72

QUEST FOR CAMELOT Mini Comic

SPECIAL NAVY EDITION (1944) - 1, 5, 6

SUPERGEAR COMICS - 1

SUPERMAN CHRISTMAS ADVENTURE 1944 (Second Of Two That Year) - 2

SUPERMAN GOLDEN PRESS - 1

SUPERMAN TIM - August 42, September 42, November 42, December 42, January 43, February 43, April 43, November 43, January 44, December 45, August 46

Wow.

I logged onto this thread absent-mindedly while the kids scroll through anime on the TV. I was certain it would be some guy saying he'd completed a run of some limited era, or worse, something like an infinite crisis run of die-cut covers, or something.

But every single DC ever published?

Please don't break that up.

I know people will say collections should be broken up. But that is something special. If you or some heir decide ever to sell it I hope it is sold as a whole.

'course it may take the GDP of a small nation to buy it.

More knowledgeable boardies can correct me, but I believe we've identified at least 5:

1. RHG's (the MH copy)

2. Ian's (found by FFB)

3. Christine's

4. copy sold on Heritage in Sep 2006 for $5337 (I don't know why, but I want to call it the Simon Powell copy even though it's not listed as such in the Heritage description, can anyone jog my memory why I'm making that association, or am I just in the early stages of Alzheimers?)

5. the DTA copy

you can make it 6, as I know of a restored copy not mentioned above :whistle:

A couple of years ago, Steve Fishler had a very nice copy too. I don't know if it was restored, nor do I know whether he still has it.

Wow.

I logged onto this thread absent-mindedly while the kids scroll through anime on the TV. I was certain it would be some guy saying he'd completed a run of some limited era, or worse, something like an infinite crisis run of die-cut covers, or something.

I know people will say collections should be broken up. But that is something special. If you or some heir decide ever to sell it I hope it is sold as a whole.

'course it may take the GDP of a small nation to buy it.

he said he wouldnt' sell it. i bet it would go for more than a fortune.

I was certain it would be some guy saying he'd completed a run of some limited era, or worse, something like an infinite crisis run of die-cut covers, or something.

I hope that never happens.

I have resisted all temptation.

And it's hard to constantly keep it up. But it is right up to date.

My question Ian is who took advantage of you the most in your search for these books?

It wouldn't be fair to say, as there are two sides to every story.

But the truest test is if you ever have a double and try to sell a comic back to the dealer who you bought it off.

I can think of two whose practices are shameful, but I won't name them.

But I will say that David T. Alexander tried to overcharge me the most of anyone.

And most importantly, I will say that Harley Yee is the best and most honest and reputable dealer in the whole business, and if there has ever been anything wrong with any book he ever sold me, he has always but always but always made it right. He is the best.

it must be a pain having to buy all those variants.

I hate them and I think they're an obscene rip-offs.

It really ticks me off that DC can cancel major super hero titles like Aquaman, Hawkman, Catwoman, Atom, Martian Manhunter, etc etc, titles that should be the mainstay of DC, and yet waste so much time and effort printing these stupid variants.

If I ever had a reason to want to stop, these would be the core reason behind it.

Ian two questions (one might be touchy as I asked it before and did not get an answer).

Do you have plans for the collection when it is time to let it go?

What do you think of the Timely/Marvel/Atlas universe?

Roy.

...and when you say 'let it go" do you mean if and when he chooses to sell the collection,...or his sphincter muscles shortly after he expires,...cause he should have a plan for either,... hm

...and when you say 'let it go" do you mean if and when he chooses to sell the collection,...or his sphincter muscles shortly after he expires,...cause he should have a plan for either,... hm

Well, I didn't want to be morbid but if he should pass away, or choose to get rid of it before hand....I figured "when it is time" covered all that rather politely.

(shrug)

You and your sphincter obsession.

Now that is interesting and useful information. Of course, back before Ebay it was easy to feel that many SA comics were scarce, but yes, I suppose virtually everything is available from multiple sources these days. Although I don't see romance and humor books all over the place...

Now that is interesting and useful information. Of course, back before Ebay it was easy to feel that many SA comics were scarce, but yes, I suppose virtually everything is available from multiple sources these days. Although I don't see romance and humor books all over the place...

...you can find any Romance/Humor/War DC without any problem,...unless you are looking for Fine or better,...then it's gets scarce ,..esecially with the humor books,...