• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DC Collection Is COMPLETE.
9 9

1,517 posts in this topic

Pretty wild site you have their Jack. Elementary fun, I'd say. Welcome to the boards.

Red

Thanks. I wish we had more time to work on it lately.

Suggestions of elements in comic books are gratefully accepted. Platinum to modern, although I prefer Gold and Silver Age sightings. Best of all -- provide a page or cover scan!

They'll go on a list to be added --- some day.

Back to the real topic, does Ian's collection include books (everything from Archives to DC Comics: Sixty Years of the World's Favorite Comic Book Heroes) or just "pamphlet" format?

That's probably been discussed long ago -- a link would be jes' fine.

Jack

Back to the real topic, does Ian's collection include books (everything from Archives to DC Comics: Sixty Years of the World's Favorite Comic Book Heroes) or just "pamphlet" format?

That's probably been discussed long ago -- a link would be jes' fine.

Jack

Pretty much, yeah. And UK annuals, and loads of foreign editions, and an attempt to track down every promo, premium, giveaway, or custom comic ever made by DC as well. It even includes the awful horrible vile cruddy CMX manga rubbish as well.

Could some knowledgeable collector fill us new viewers in on the obscure promo books? I've never heard of Bradman and have no idea why Twisted Metal or the Tooth book are so hard to come by.

Thanks,

Jack

In a nutshell, the Bradman family had a custom pressed comic drawn by Curt Swan with their son Daniel, his friend Andrew, and Superman on the cover. There were supposedly only 25 of these and most got lost or damaged when they moved house. There are only three copies in private hands.

I have no idea why the Twisted Metal or the Happy Tooth comics are so rare, but neither have ever cropped up on e-Bay, not even once in the last four years. But the Aquateers Meet The Super Friends comic has also never cropped up either, and I still don't have that one. It was a giveaway with snorkels and flippers.

Twisted Metal has a fan site, and forum, and the comic is so rare that they all think it's an urban myth.

In a nutshell, the Bradman family had a custom pressed comic drawn by Curt Swan with their son Daniel, his friend Andrew, and Superman on the cover. ....

I have no idea why the Twisted Metal or the Happy Tooth comics are so rare, but neither have ever cropped up on e-Bay, not even once in the last four years. But the Aquateers Meet The Super Friends comic has also never cropped up either, and I still don't have that one. It was a giveaway with snorkels and flippers.

Twisted Metal has a fan site, and forum, and the comic is so rare that they all think it's an urban myth.

Thanks!

The thought must have crossed your mind to have one copy of "Bat-Levine" created and printed -- cruelly creating your own urban myth and guaranteeing the only complete DC collection in one fell swoop!

Jack

Thanks!

The thought must have crossed your mind to have one copy of "Bat-Levine" created and printed -- cruelly creating your own urban myth and guaranteeing the only complete DC collection in one fell swoop!

Jack

A complete DC collection has to be the ones made for sale.

Basically, they did so many promos, premiums, and custom comics (Silly Putty, Lightning Racers, Superman/Bradman, Flash Force 2000, Looney Tunes for Tyson chicken, McDonalds Commandrons, Captain Action, Loaded, Reloaded, Pryzm, Swordquest, Centipede, Happy Tooth, Twisted Metal, K-Mart Tasmanian Devil giveaway, Iron Giant, etc etc etc), that no-one, least of all DC themselves, can ever know them all. Basically any toy can produce a legitimate mini-comic giveaway with that toy if DC granted them a licence. So the list of promos is eternal and infinite, and every month, Metarog discovers yet another obscurity that we never previously knew existed. There are literally hundreds of them not listed in Overstreet. So there are two collections - the proper DC collection, and then all these weird giveaways, some of which are comic sized, but many of which are tiny mini-comic sized.

One fact is indisputable - I may not have them all (no-one could ever be sure they did anyway), but I most absolutely certainly have the best collection of them in the world.

A complete DC collection has to be the ones made for sale.

Basically, they did so many promos, premiums, and custom comics (Silly Putty, Lightning Racers, Superman/Bradman, Flash Force 2000, Looney Tunes for Tyson chicken, McDonalds Commandrons, Captain Action, Loaded, Reloaded, Pryzm, Swordquest, Centipede, Happy Tooth, Twisted Metal, K-Mart Tasmanian Devil giveaway, Iron Giant, etc etc etc), that no-one, least of all DC themselves, can ever know them all. ...

One fact is indisputable - I may not have them all (no-one could ever be sure they did anyway), but I most absolutely certainly have the best collection of them in the world.

Sure -- I hope it was clear that I was kidding.

I'm also curious what you did about Cancelled Comics Cavalcade 1-2. Did you get first-generation copies?

Jack

congratulations Ian on your amazing achievment. I got back from vacation on Sunday, and have just had time to finish going through this thread.

I very much enjoyed seeing the image of the 90 DC books. I probably have over 15,000 different DC books including 18 that I spotted in that picture. I can barely imagine the effort as well as the $$,$$$,$$$ of obtaining them all. This is to say nothing of the effort to organize and store them all, as well integrate all the new material into the storage system.

Ian, I recently posted a couple photos of my 1990's time capsule.

Why is everybody making such a fuss over your photos.

I see no difference between our collections.

OK.. so you have a couple more comics.

Big deal.

J/K bro.. those photos are amazing. flowerred.gif

I have stared at them for quite awhile.

A real treat.

Share more anytime you feel like it.. Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? what ol gumpypants thinks.

Ze-

the list of promos is eternal and infinite, and every month, Metarog discovers yet another obscurity that we never previously knew existed. There are literally hundreds of them not listed in Overstreet.

Thats absolutely right. Every year I find comics that are either unknown and not listed in OS. Or have just been overlooked. Unknown or forgotten books are a big thing I have in my collection. Its amazing were some of these unknown comics come from. I've found a lot of um in the strangest places. I think I enjoy finding the LOST BOOKS most in this hobby. Love buying, reading, and collecting comics, but finding a book that's not listed in OS and probably not known by many of the comic collectors out there is really a nice feeling. Almost like finding the HOLY GRAIL. The biggest problem with trying to collect unknown comics is... no one knows. There's nobody to ask. Its not like ya can go up to someone and ask if they have a unknown comic. Every time I find one it by chance. Shear luck. I would guess its probably easier if your a dealer but I'm not and I've had pretty good luck at finding them.

Thats absolutely right. Every year I find comics that are either unknown and not listed in OS. Or have just been overlooked. Unknown or forgotten books are a big thing I have in my collection. ...The biggest problem with trying to collect unknown comics is... no one knows. There's nobody to ask. Its not like ya can go up to someone and ask if they have a unknown comic. Every time I find one it by chance. Shear luck. I would guess its probably easier if your a dealer but I'm not and I've had pretty good luck at finding them.

I got very interested in the General Electric Adventure Series/ Adventures in Science series promos, and I still have no idea whether I have them all. Have they shown up in Overstreet or any other guide yet? (I don't have the latest editions.) Are there any experts here with a list of known issues? Maybe we could compare notes. Which is the best forum for this topic?

Jack

Every year I find comics that are either unknown and not listed in OS. Or have just been overlooked. Unknown or forgotten books are a big thing I have in my collection.

Have you told Arnold about them ???

He'll happily just take your word about their existence and rush them into the next Overstreet.

Every year I find comics that are either unknown and not listed in OS. Or have just been overlooked. Unknown or forgotten books are a big thing I have in my collection.

He'll happily just take your word about their existence and rush them into the next Overstreet.

smirk.gif

Actually I have sort of. I usually send in info on some of these unknown comics on a semi-regular basis (when ever I feel the desire). Last year I sent in another batch that was included in this years GUIDE. But had problems with the ACKNOLEDGEMENT (they forgot to enter my name). I talked to Arnold and he hooked me up with a new contact (Kudos to Arnold, big THANKS). Hopefully with better results next year. I'll see if they enter my name along with the submitted unknown books. I have a awesome color copier so I'm able to send in excellent copies to OS of the books. With some of these comics I've sent in almost complete copies of the whole books so there would be no question regarding the book. I've been doing this a long time. Back when the OS GUIDE started my contact was Overstreet and he'd get all kinds of info from me and he'd acknowledged me pretty regularly. If you ever decide to send in any info on comics to OS I suggest either nice clear color copies or photos. Show as much information as you can. And any thing you may know about the comics history. Like where it originated at. I have always felt seeing books entered in the GUIDE by my help, gives me a good feeling. Like I'm doing something good for the hobby. You should really consider submitting. I'm sure you have many that are not known. Like you said there are hundreds out there not listed. And I agree.

Christo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Jesus H! How many times do we have to go thru this? Just send them the info they require. It's really that simple.

I just sent them info on a book and Tom told me he rec'd it and everything looked up to snuff.

I've been trying (really hard) to be nice (especially in light of your great accomplishment) but, dammit, you sure do make it tough. Don't make me join Deathlok. Pretty please? With sugar on top??? flowerred.gif

thumbsup2.gif)

All you have to do is say "Arnold" three times, and he appears.

Or, you can just start a thread titled "The Trouble with the Overstreet Guide is,.."!!!

poke2.gif

I love you like a half-brother, twice removed,....Arnold. flowerred.gif

Jesus H! How many times do we have to go thru this? Just send them the info they require. It's really that simple.

I just sent them info on a book and Tom told me he rec'd it and everything looked up to snuff.

I've been trying (really hard) to be nice (especially in light of your great accomplishment) but, dammit, you sure do make it tough. Don't make me join Deathlok. Pretty please? With sugar on top??? flowerred.gif

It's really amazing how Ian's child-like petulance is quickly causing any goodwill to dissipate, isn't it? I keep telling myself to separate the achievement from the person.

It's really amazing how Ian's child-like petulance is quickly causing any goodwill to dissipate, isn't it? I keep telling myself to separate the achievement from the person.

Well, it would help if the "person" could seperate himself from the achievement!

confused-smiley-013.gif

Or not,..... sorry.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

I feel your pain! sumo.gif