• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Man Whose Comic Shop Was Burglarized Gets $1,400 Spider-Man Issue Back
1 1

10 posts in this topic

WOW!!  301!!  OMG OMG OMG 

RARE

Edited by kav

5 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

"ERMAGERD, I HAVE THAT BOOK, AND IT'S DEFINITELY WORTH $1400!!!" -- everyone who watched that on the news that has an 80's/90's comic collection and has a $10-$20 copy of that book. 

POW! ZAM! SWISH! ZOINK! 

Yes it is. It has volatility though. Wonder if the UPC edition 9.8s carry a premium for 301? GPA doesn't distinguish far as I know

7 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yes it is. It has volatility though. Wonder if the UPC edition 9.8s carry a premium for 301? GPA doesn't distinguish far as I know

I meant the people who saw it on the news that have no idea that 9.8 is tough on that book, or even realize it's CGC'd  that think that their VF copy is worth $1400. 

I'm aware of how tough that one is in 9.8. I've probably gotten about a dozen 9.6's over the years. I always try if they're close. 

24 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:
36 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I meant the people who saw it on the news that have no idea that 9.8 is tough on that book, or even realize it's CGC'd  that think that their VF copy is worth $1400. 

I'm aware of how tough that one is in 9.8. I've probably gotten about a dozen 9.6's over the years. I always try if they're close. 

Nah I think non comic people probably get that it's a mint condition copy just by seeing the holder and the grade but who knows with some? 

It's strange that it's sort of lowish census for 9.8 considering how many have been graded hm ? I mean it's a white cover. They're much darker covers with higher 9.8s in copper age

Edit: forgot about the dark back cover. That could explain it

Edited by MGsimba77

4 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Nah I think non comic people probably get that it's a mint condition copy just by seeing the holder and the grade but who knows with some? 

It's strange that it's sort of lowish census for 9.8 considering how many have been graded hm ? I mean it's a white cover. They're much darker covers with higher 9.8s in copper age

Edit: forgot about the dark back cover. That could explain it

It's a tough book because:

- Black back

- Wrap (very hard to find a perfect straight wrap with no black showing)

I've seen collectors pay $1300 for a perfect wrap.  This was as close as I could get.  The wrap is vertically straight but a little bit of black is showing.

***Happy to see that he got his book back and they got the license plate of the thieves.

20190301_230614.jpg.e98b07fafa4fb44b90087a72dd506f24.jpg

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/150868 top 6.8% is pretty impressive for a modern book.  most 9.8's are in the 20-30% range.  but then again, the #300 in 9.8 is top 6.2% so maybe not. 
There are just fewer people grading them by a factor of nearly 10. (133 vs 1127).  The more a book is considered a key the more people are comfortable subbing lower grades.

The #298 & #299 in 9.8 is 12.9% and 17.5% respectively. 

Edited by 90sChild