• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicSupply Grading Contest Round 8

189 posts in this topic

It's not just you. There is WAY too much analysis going on in general. I like these contests a lot. They allow me a chance to compete with people who have decades more experience than me, as well as giving me an opportunity to brush up on my own grading skills in a fun way. Unfortunately, when people dissect every single nuance, the enjoyment dies slowly from a thousand little cuts. I am guilty of nitpicking too, but the overanalysis is seriously getting annoying. I know I am not the only one who feel this way. Maybe everyone should just step back (including myself) and just have fun instead of bittching about the rules or making flowcharts. 27_laughing.gif

All these statistics, constant analyses, and incessant complaining are ruining the contest.

Who's complaining? I am simply posting the base statistical facts. Nothing more and nothing less.

I think we all knew what a huge advantange being given a Bye is, but even so, these numbers are shocking to say the least. So rather than berating the current grading contest, I would instead like people to think long and hard before using Byes in any future contests.

P.S. I think all the Byes did more to ruin the contest than anything I ever posted.

sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif

It's not just you. There is WAY too much analysis going on in general.

You're preaching to the choir. I posted the EXACT same thing when various miscreants (*cough*HobGoblin and Fan4Fan*cough*) started posting their own "leader boards" with "adjusted points", "average grades", "grades off" and various other stats. At that point, the cat was literally out of the bag and it kind of spiralled out of control.

I know I shouldn't join in with the unruly "statistics" mob, but when in Rome.. shy.gif

All these statistics, constant analyses, and incessant complaining are ruining the contest.

Who's complaining? I am simply posting the base statistical facts. Nothing more and nothing less.

I think we all knew what a huge advantange being given a Bye is, but even so, these numbers are shocking to say the least. So rather than berating the current grading contest, I would instead like people to think long and hard before using Byes in any future contests.

P.S. I think all the Byes did more to ruin the contest than anything I ever posted.

JC, byes are a commonality in competitions. The top two seeds in the NFL playoffs receive byes. Teams in the college world series and women's college world series, in essence, don't have to play as many games as other teams do to win the championship. Teams in the NIT basketball tournament receive first round byes.

Yes, it may have aided in keeping certain players in the winner's bracket, but the real fact about this contest is that people have moved down into the lower brackets NOT because they didn't receive a bye, but because they LOST A ROUND. makepoint.gif

JC, byes are a commonality in competitions. The top two seeds in the NFL playoffs receive byes. Teams in the college world series and women's college world series, in essence, don't have to play as many games as other teams do to win the championship. Teams in the NIT basketball tournament receive first round byes.

Yes, it may have aided in keeping certain players in the winner's bracket, but the real fact about this contest is that people have moved down into the lower brackets NOT because they didn't receive a bye, but because they LOST A ROUND. makepoint.gif

I see your point, only one that hasn't had a bye. But I feel whatever comicsupply chooses we should live with. Off topic for a moment

For what it's worth I run a lot of bowling brackets in tournaments. I always do my best to avoid byes but some times they are necessary, nobody complains but they all relize the advantage the person has with a bye. It's luck of the draw as I use commercial software that generates random byes. It's just a fact of life with these types of tournaments. NOW with all that said I feel your right if FD hasn't had a bye he should have one this round. Then if the other two tied again then he could have gone to the options he set for this round. Then all three contestants in the winners would have had a bye. But then to continue with byes then would be too much of an advantage. But it's not my choice.

NOW with all that said I feel your right if FD hasn't had a bye he should have one this round.

That's all I'm really saying here.

If Byes are part of the contest, then so be it. But it's strange to pick and choose when and where to apply them. Both october_fire and Zipper were lucky enough to receive Byes when an uneven number of opponents were in Winners, and the EXACT same scenario exists right now.

So why is Donut being unfairly targeted, when according to the rules, only those who have NOT received a Bye are eligible, and he just happens to be the only one in Winners without a Bye? If there were 5 or 7 competitors, he'd get a Bye, but at 3, the rules change?

Sure, I feel Byes suck and allow a HUGE advantage to those who receive them, but if they must be part of the contest, then one should logically go to Donut.

End of Sermon.

...the real fact about this contest is that people have moved down into the lower brackets NOT because they didn't receive a bye, but because they LOST A ROUND. makepoint.gif

I seriously doubt whether you have even the mathematical acumen of a half-eaten turnip. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

...the real fact about this contest is that people have moved down into the lower brackets NOT because they didn't receive a bye, but because they LOST A ROUND. makepoint.gif

Actually, the real fact about this contest is that you're never going to move down into a lower bracket if you don't have to play. The byes are ridiculous, especially in a contest that might only go 8 rounds (meaning if you get a bye, you don't even have to play the game 12.5% of the time). makepoint.gif

I seriously doubt whether you have even the mathematical acumen of a half-eaten turnip. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yeahok.gif Riiiiiiight.

You're preaching to the choir. I posted the EXACT same thing when various miscreants (*cough*HobGoblin and Fan4Fan*cough*) started posting their own "leader boards" with "adjusted points", "average grades", "grades off" and various other stats. At that point, the cat was literally out of the bag and it kind of spiralled out of control.

I know I shouldn't join in with the unruly "statistics" mob, but when in Rome.. shy.gif

Excuse me, I *suggested* posting something (actually, I suggested compiling the data)... then refrained... especially after I found out Nefaria had done a lot of hard work already.

And I think it ads to the fun... to see the order in the obvious chaos that is here.

Stats are just another talking point, so what's the big deal? confused-smiley-013.gif

Excuse me, I *suggested* posting something (actually, I suggested compiling the data)... then refrained... especially after I found out Nefaria had done a lot of hard work already.

And I think it ads to the fun... to see the order in the obvious chaos that is here.

Stats are just another talking point, so what's the big deal? confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm just doing it as a comparison. I'm fine with the way this current contest is being run, byes and all. My analysis is basically just to show that people in the Losers and Mega Losers brackets have still actually faired very well in terms of grading accuracy. makepoint.gif

yeahok.gif Riiiiiiight.

Well, in terms of pure math, the numbers speak for themselves.

If 3 random test subjects are given X, while the remaining 20 subjects are not, and then we find 2 out of 3 (66.6%) of the original X test subjects place in the Top 3, while only 1 out of the 20 others (5%) who did not receive X do ....

Wouldn't a "number cruncher" conclude that the stats show X offers a significant advantage?

Actually, the real fact about this contest is that you're never going to move down into a lower bracket if you don't have to play. The byes are ridiculous, especially in a contest that might only go 8 rounds (meaning if you get a bye, you don't even have to play the game 12.5% of the time). makepoint.gif

Please note that I must be right for drbanner to agree with me. 893whatthe.gif

Please note that I must be right for drbanner to agree with me. 893whatthe.gif

drbanner's word may not mean squat to some of us, so you could still be wrong. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Listen, JC, I know you're right. The chances of 3 people getting by 6 rounds is much greater than 20 people getting through 7 rounds. That's common sense.

All I'm saying is: Some of us don't give a flying flip that some received byes and some didn't. It's all just the luck of the draw, and life is not 100% fair, so shut the 893censored-thumb.gif up about the damn byes already. Christo_pull_hair.gif

All I'm saying is: Some of us don't give a flying flip that some received byes and some didn't. It's all just the luck of the draw, and life is not 100% fair, so shut the 893censored-thumb.gif up about the damn byes already. Christo_pull_hair.gif

In typical Joe C fashion, he's doing his best to be sure that if October or I win, the win will be as tainted as possible.

The man is a natural born killjoy. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I wonder if he'd be whining so loud about the byes if HE was still in the winner's bracket? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In typical Joe C fashion, he's doing his best to be sure that if October or I win, the win will be as tainted as possible.

I wonder if he'd be whining so loud about the byes if HE was still in the winner's bracket? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep. The contest is basically ruined for me now anyway. I know if either of us ends up winning all we will hear is whining about how we got a bye and had a 23.56275% better chance because of it. 893blahblah.gif Pretty lame. mad.gif

Yep. The contest is basically ruined for me now anyway. I know if either of us ends up winning all we will hear is whining about how we got a bye and had a 23.56275% better chance because of it. 893blahblah.gif Pretty lame. mad.gif

If I run a single bracket style tournament, I'll give JC the only bye in the tournament and see how much it really helps him. I'm willing to bet he wouldn't finish on top. poke2.gif

If I run a single bracket style tournament, I'll give JC the only bye in the tournament and see how much it really helps him. I'm willing to bet he wouldn't finish on top. poke2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Are you going to run the next contest?