• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"The Romance of Money" by Jack Kirby- First Pro work?

26 posts in this topic

I know I've read an article which described "The Romance of Money" as Jack Kirby's first pro work,....but I can't remember were the information came from.

Any of you know where I would find information? popcorn.gifhi.gif

I know I've read an article which described "The Romance of Money" as Jack Kirby's first pro work,....but I can't remember were the information came from.

Any of you know where I would find information? popcorn.gifhi.gif

Look up Red Raven #1 from Overstreet Priceguide. I think that is the first Kirby work.

Elvis

Some googling turns up this entry in the msu library's collection:

Elmo, H. T.--Misellanea.

"Jack Kirby's First Comic Book" p. 4-6 in Ron Goulart's

Comics History Magazine, no. 1 (Fall 1996). -- Describes

Kirby's working for the Lincoln News Syndicate of H.T.

Elmo, and a 1937 booklet collecting his "Romance of Money"

panels from that time. -- Call no.: PN6700.R6no.1

http://www.lib.msu.edu/comics/rri/erri/elmer.htm

There is also a decent chronological checklist of kirby work here:

http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/resources/kirby_chronology.html

(includes golden age and all publishers)

http://www.mutoworld.com/Kirby.htm

Jacob Kurtzburg was born in New York city on August 28, 1917 in one of the toughest neighborhoods of the city. Dubbed "Hell's Kitchen" it was home to many of the roughest hoodlums on the east coast.

His artistic career began in 1935 when he secured a job with the Max Fleisher Studios doing "in-betweens" for the Popeye cartoon series. In 1936 he joined the Lincoln Newspaper Syndicate where he simultaneously drew several different comic strips under different pseudonyms. Drawing "Socko the Sea Dog", "Abdul Jones" and "Black Buccaneer" among others, he remained there until 1938 when the syndicate folded.

Damn you Norinn Radd! You're supposed to SUPPORT my theories, not DE-BUNK them!!! makepoint.gif

Let's see Elvis; While Red Raven is the first signed work by Kirby, he actually worked just before that in Blue Bolt Vol. 1 # 2. (first Simon & Kirby).

Blue Bolt Vol. 1 # 3 has the same cover date as Red Raven # 1.

While Kirby did bits and pieces here and there, I believe The Romance of Money was his first complete pro work. I'll try to find what I had read, just can't remember where I read it. Christo_pull_hair.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Some googling turns up this entry in the msu library's collection:

Elmo, H. T.--Misellanea.

"Jack Kirby's First Comic Book" p. 4-6 in Ron Goulart's

Comics History Magazine, no. 1 (Fall 1996). -- Describes

Kirby's working for the Lincoln News Syndicate of H.T.

Elmo, and a 1937 booklet collecting his "Romance of Money"

panels from that time. -- Call no.: PN6700.R6no.1

http://www.lib.msu.edu/comics/rri/erri/elmer.htm

There is also a decent chronological checklist of kirby work here:

http://www.marvelmasterworks.com/resources/kirby_chronology.html

(includes golden age and all publishers)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Good stuff, markav! thumbsup2.gif

I do know that this particular book is not listed in the Kirby Check List. The Romance of Money is early Jack Kirby-possibly 1st work, so now the Detective work begins. cool.gif

Here's some additional info: Copyright 1937, Natamsa Publishing Compaby, Inc, New York.

Back cover reads:

"There is Romance in every Mutual Savings Bank Passbook.

Now that you have read "The Romance of Money" and enjoyed the cartoons, consult with us about the romance of saving. There s just as much romance in one as the other.

No reading in the world compares to a growing column of deposits in your mutual savings account. Let us show you why savings is not a dull job but one of life's greatest satisfactions. All of the things that you want can be had by saving- a home, education, travel, anything. The way is not long nor the road hard. We will help you find the romance in your money.

Emigrant Industrial Savings Bank

51 Chambers Street & 5 East 42nd Street

New York, N.Y.

Assets over $494,000,000-more than 294,000 depositors. Member of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation"

Yes, that ""Jack Kirby's First Comic Book" p. 4-6 in Ron Goulart's Comics History Magazine, no. 1 (Fall 1996). -- Describes Kirby's working for the Lincoln News Syndicate of H.T. Elmo, and a 1937 booklet collecting his "Romance of Money" panels from that time. -- Call no.: PN6700.R6no.1" certainly sounds like this may well be the first Kirby complete book!

I saw the book and the scan does not do it justice.

(PS - now you have to support my Iron Man Prototype theory! Man I hate you!)

Yes, that ""Jack Kirby's First Comic Book" p. 4-6 in Ron Goulart's Comics History Magazine, no. 1 (Fall 1996). -- Describes Kirby's working for the Lincoln News Syndicate of H.T. Elmo, and a 1937 booklet collecting his "Romance of Money" panels from that time. -- Call no.: PN6700.R6no.1" certainly sounds like this may well be the first Kirby complete book!

I saw the book and the scan does not do it justice.

(PS - now you have to support my Iron Man Prototype theory! Man I hate you!)

893scratchchin-thumb.gif The theory that goes something like,....

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a dang!" poke2.gif

I hate you, come visit. hi.gifflowerred.gif

Hey Fuelman - nice work tracking down the cover pic of this book. Very interesting stuff. Let us know if you ever run across any more info.

Actually, The scan IS from the book. I found it at Basment Comic's booth at SD CON. yay.gif

Hey Fuelman - nice work tracking down the cover pic of this book. Very interesting stuff. Let us know if you ever run across any more info.

Actually, The scan IS from the book. I found it at Basment Comic's booth at SD CON. yay.gif

Oh, wow. Nice score.

Is it more or less comic sized? How many pages?

I can personally attest to the veracity of the statement.

LEGAL TRANSLATION: He showed me the book in SD so I knows he gots it!!! stooges.gif

Nice pick-up! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Oh, wow. Nice score.

Is it more or less comic sized? How many pages?

Thank you! It was the high-light of the Con for me! acclaim.gif

It's 5" X 6 1/2", B&W with blue color in the title. I understand, from the seller (Basement Comics) that there were two versions of this book (wonder what the other version looks like?). Twelve pages total (including front & back cover). Or, six sheets,then folded & stapled, to make twelve.

Anyone else ever see one? I have no idea how rare/scarce it might be, just totally shocked me to find one. I was asked when I held it if I knew what it was; I said it was supposedly the first professional work done by Kirby. Ted (?) from Basement said he & I were probably the only two people in the building who knew what it was. confused-smiley-013.gif

All I can tell you is, after I bought it and took it back to Socal Comics, they didn't know what it was,...and they are knowledgable(sp?) fellows!

He may well have been right. yay.gif

I never in my life thought I'd come across a copy, so I never even attempted looking for one; if it had been a snake, it would've bit me! 893whatthe.gif

I just wish I could remember where-the-Hades I read about !!! Christo_pull_hair.gif I don't own a copy of The Comic History magazine so,...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fuelman,

out of curiosity, how come Al showed it to you in particular. Did you ask to see any esoteric stuff or did he volunteer to show the item to you? See, I think I would always miss neat stuff like that at shows for my lack of asking questions and simply looking through long boxes.

I did not know about the book either and it is not listed in the Jack Kirby Checklist put out by Twomorrows either (but probably because it's not considered comic book work). Congrats on a cool find.

Fuelman,

out of curiosity, how come Al showed it to you in particular. Did you ask to see any esoteric stuff or did he volunteer to show the item to you? See, I think I would always miss neat stuff like that at shows for my lack of asking questions and simply looking through long boxes.

I did not know about the book either and it is not listed in the Jack Kirby Checklist put out by Twomorrows either (but probably because it's not considered comic book work). Congrats on a cool find.

Thanks, Scrooge!

Yeah, and it's "Al",.....not "Ted"! foreheadslap.gif Stupid Fuelman!!! makepoint.gif

Actually, I was just checking out his wall-books and completley stummbled upon it. I was looking for Centaur books at the time. Just checking what he had and,....BAM !!! confused.gif893whatthe.gif

yay.giftakeit.gif893applaud-thumb.gif