• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone seen this before?

14 posts in this topic

DC did several books which were distributed to the military in the 1940s. The text is not the standard text found in the regular issues. These books have a simplified text for the military.

DC did several books which were distributed to the military in the 1940s. The text is not the standard text found in the regular issues. These books have a simplified text for the military.

They are called "Special Edition"

I have a copy of #2, which is a simplified reprint of Action Comics #81.

This book is a 1944 reprint of Detective Comics #97 It has regular comic format, with wording simplified. Sprang C art. Published by National Periodical Publications.

Yea I believe they did various issues of different titles. Tough to get. I wonder if Ian has it 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DC PROMOTIONAL, PREVIEW, AND GIVEAWAY COMICS

THE AQUATEERS MEET THE SUPER FRIENDS - 1

BATMAN RAIN-BLO GUM COMIC - 1

BUGS BUNNY 64 Page STAMPERS POSTAL EDITION Mini-Comic - 1 (I don't believe this exists)

CARTOON NETWORK PRESENTS Platinum Edition - 1 (I don't believe this exists)

COMIC CAVALCADE GIVEAWAY - 3 ("The Twain Shall Meet")

FLASH TV BROCHURE GIVEAWAY- 1990 - 1

JOAN AND GINGER'S MAGAZINE - Any issues containing Superman-Tim cartoon strips except for May, July, and August 1947)

LOONEY TUNES TYSON MINI-COMICS "The Great Scavenger Hunt" - 7

LOONEY TUNES TYSON FIRST SERIES - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

OVERSEAS EDITIONS for US Armed Forces - Superman 27, 28, 72

SCOOBY DOO mini-comic with DVD - "Werewolf Are You" - 1

SPECIAL NAVY EDITION (1944) - 1, 4, 5, 6

SUPERGEAR COMICS - 1

SUPERMAN CHRISTMAS ADVENTURE 1944 (Second Of Two That Year- Candy Cane Cover)

SUPERMAN GOLDEN PRESS - 1 (I don't believe this exists as a promo. The Golden Press were kiddie books)

SUPERMAN TIM - August 42, September 42, November 42, December 42, January 43, February 43, April 43, November 43, January 44, February 44, March 44, October 44, April 45, May 45, September 45, December 45, August 46

WORLDS FINEST 1949 GIVEAWAY - 1 ("Make Way For Youth")

He didn't list any overseas editions Detectives... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"These books have a simplified text for the military."

HUH? An issue of Detective Comics had to be simplified for the military?

In 1940 approximately 50% of adults in the USA had not finished high school - I imagine a good share of those could barely read at best.

Still, it is surprising that comics written originally for 10 year olds to understand would have to be "dumbed down".

In 1940 approximately 50% of adults in the USA had not finished high school - I imagine a good share of those could barely read at best.

Still, it is surprising that comics written originally for 10 year olds to understand would have to be "dumbed down".

893whatthe.gif Moreso when you consider that these men were given weapons and trained to kill.

Can anyone who has them give us a page scan, or at least type out an example? I'd heard of these editions but had no idea that the stories were changed in any way. I'm scratching my head trying to think what words might have been in a Golden Age DC that were too advanced for a non-high school graduate...