• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC TO AUTHENTICATE PRINTS FOR SIGNATURE SERIES Yellow Label :) by CGC
1 1

31 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

I have a bunch of prints all signed, framed on my wall.

They look about 1000x better framed than hanging in a baggie

If I remember the baggie did come with a 3 whole punch for a binder fit for the prints, but that would also be an awkward binder size....

While a neat idea that may be fun,  like magazines,  it may make for awkward storage and etc

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If I remember the baggie did come with a 3 whole punch for a binder fit for the prints, but that would also be an awkward binder size....

While a neat idea that may be fun,  like magazines,  it may make for awkward storage and etc

Always, each their own. Personally I would never want this service

33 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

Always, each their own. Personally I would never want this service

Even the 3-hole punched bag seems weird.  They make binders specifically for art prints, but it's generally for specific sized prints.  So if you have a binder for 11x17's and then get a print certified, well the entire CGC "case" is going to exceed the normal 11x17 dimension.  You could go up a size, but then your print is smaller than everything else in the binder.  Ultimately, your 3 holes or the print itself, will never align with the binders.

It would be fun if I inherited posters or prints or the like, but I dont think that I'd seek them out. There may be more available now, but the few times that I looked them up, they were few and far between...

Still sounds like fun, and I know no one here is faulting the service per se, people collect them. Me I have them in hard top loaders with tacs holding the top loader up. I would be curious how others display them too, as hanging was suggested it makes the most sense.

Comics have the grading and then the slabbing to preserve condition, my initial thought would be the only reason to have prints and the like done as well.

I like the idea of signature series, but I'm sure that is thrown in for good measure, I havent heard of facilitators offering signings but maybe once or twice.

All in all or in short, I think that it's still establishing its market etc

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Here is the quickest example I could find

I too dont think they're too appealing 

No whole punch either though

How would you display?

Screenshot_20210615-185521_eBay.jpg

If you're framing, you can use a mat on the edges that would effectively hide the CGC label.  All in all, it's a decent service and I'm sure people out there utilize it (otherwise they would have shut down that aspect of the business).

Here's how I have my main prints displayed.  I also have some framed without mats, but those are $30 prints so I'm less concerned about the artwork touching the glass.  All are museum glass to limit glare.

IMG_2022.thumb.JPG.4e17bc3679b03c22b721f89526e71281.JPG

3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

If you're framing, you can use a mat on the edges that would effectively hide the CGC label.  All in all, it's a decent service and I'm sure people out there utilize it (otherwise they would have shut down that aspect of the business).

Here's how I have my main prints displayed.  I also have some framed without mats, but those are $30 prints so I'm less concerned about the artwork touching the glass.  All are museum glass to limit glare.

IMG_2022.thumb.JPG.4e17bc3679b03c22b721f89526e71281.JPG

That looks nice!

I'd show the cgc label if I had them, yet I havent been as passionate about this as I'd like 

I've seen some nice stuff, that is just worth it to have, let alone have it signed, but I'm learning :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That looks nice!

I'd show the cgc label if I had them, yet I havent been as passionate about this as I'd like 

I've seen some nice stuff, that is just worth it to have, let alone have it signed, but I'm learning :)

Everyone is going to have a different perspective on it, but for me, the point of CGC's certification on comics is to preserve value.  I view comics as more of a commodity than I do artwork.  The pool of interested buyers in comics, is greater than that of printed art.  Even if there are only 100 printed copies of a piece in the world, people aren't as interested because there's no historical significance behind it.  It's just something that looks nice on a wall or themed (comic) room.  Because I don't view it as a commodity, I don't really consider its value as much.  And since I don't think about its value, then I have little concern for spending more money and certifying the signature.

Now, where I would consider CGC's certification would be original art because that does very much have value.  That's part of the reason why I only have sketch covers certified by CGC.  If I bought a Jim Lee original cover from AlbertMoy and had the option to send it to CGC first, there's a chance I might do it if I was confident that the materials they use are good for long term preservation (ie limits yellowing of the page).

Edited by ExNihilo

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Here is the quickest example I could find

I too dont think they're too appealing 

No whole punch either though

How would you display?

Frame, once I get the wall space I will be framing a few paper sketches that are that sized. Personally, I love the fact that CGC is doing prints for signature series because it opens up for larger paper sketches. 20200924_195738.thumb.jpg.f28726a9149372d4e1e2dc64c3a043f6.jpg