• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective 359 9.6

33 posts in this topic

I'm coming up your way in September. My wife and I have a week in Whistler starting 9/18. yay.gif

Should be fun! I have to take my wife up there sometime too.

i was only kidding

Oy I fell for that like a first-class sucker. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif I guess Im just hoping i can scare people away so I win the auction with my $5,000 snipe bid insane.gif

Regardless of what the market is pushing the price to, I wouldn't have bid more than $600 or $700. If I'm gonna plop down $3400, it's gonna be on something like an early Showcase or Brave and Bold.

yeah. Thats my point, too. Its a huuge price based solely on its .2 (or, one less spine nick!!) than a 9.4, only what, 3 times the price? Does that make sense except in this crazy CGC multiple minsdet we are still in??

I have maybe a raw 9.0 or 9.2 on a good day copy, and do I wish it was a 9.6??? Sure thing. But Im not going to pay thru the nose for one.

All I am saying guys is that those prices are the market reality and to keep saying that you wouldn't pay the price doesn't change the reality. makepoint.gif

"Reality" with a book like this is a very fluid and fluctuating concept indeed. I'd be stunned to find out that somebody was able to flip this book in two years time for an additional 1k. I'm guessing there's nowhere to go but down on this one. Not knocking the purchase, I just hope the buyer bought with the intention of holding for at least a couple decades.

thats what Im saying too. Lots of stocks were intelligent buys that make no sense now.. Im not predicting a crash or anything, just saying that the common accepted wisdom like these prices right now can change. You can be right right now, and still be wrong at some later point.

actually batfiend, I was surprised when it didn't hit that sooner. Tec 359 has always been considered very difficult to track down in 9.6, I really originally thought it might go higher. Then when there weren't any bids... I was thought maybe those numbers were wrong, and this wasn't going to hit $3k...

but... I think this is a great book, with one of my all time fave covers.

I agree. It definitely could have gone a lot higher. I still think there is room to move on this book and I don't agree with whoever said that the winning bidder would have to hold it for 10 years or more to get a return.

Just look at who bid on the book and it is obvious that the auction created a huge deal of interest.

I'm not all for hyping books, and generally I agree with a lot of the comments made here... but I will say that I'm totally with Batfiend here... DC keys are always in demand... and I know that for a long time, even pre CGC I sought this book out in HG and found one that was a 9.2 raw. That was the best one I saw... I'm sure I missed a bunch, but if you look at the census, this book doesn't have a ton in high grade.

Personally, I feel DC HG keys are better long term bets, but I could be wrong. I feel longevity wise and the fact that I haven't seen the big run up on them yet leads me to think there is actually growth room in this area. I know there are fewer DC guys out there... but I'm still a believer in them.