• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planting a seed for a contest

50 posts in this topic

I have an idea for a contest in the future, and I just want to run it bye (pun intended) you to get your ideas.

It would be run like the NCAA 64 man tournament with 32 contestants on each side dwindling down to a final four in only 4 rounds. The complete contest will only have 6 rounds to completion with absolutely NO BYES. If a bye was needed it would only be in the first round if there were less than 64 contestants. So if there were 64 players there'd be no byes. I have my own software I wrote years ago in application VB to run 64 man brackets in bowling tournaments. So everybody would be randomly placed in the first round and then the bracket would unfold just like the NCAA's would. Only way this could work with no byes is all ties will be broken prior to the next round irregardless as to how many tie breaker rounds necessary,. All tie breaker rounds will be on a speed basis to keep the contest moving along. So if rounds were scheduled on Monday's and Thursday's that wouldn't change. What would happen if there was a tie there would be a tie breaker round posted and all ties square off against the opponent they just tied with and submit a grade within one day. If you tie again there would be another tie breaker round posted again. etc. etc. The tie breakers need to be finished within three days even if we need to go to speed rounds to accomplish this. So if you’re in a tie don’t go anywhere you’ll be needed to face off with your opponent until only one is left standing. Don’t know what to do about prizes as a fixed income limits that. But I could donate some comics. I have 85 CGC'd comics, none purchased on eBay so nobody could track my history, they've all been submitted by me. Some of those aren't back yet as they're eco's that they received 4/12 that I should have soon.

Your thoughts or ideas please elaborate.

Clare

I have an idea for a contest in the future, and I just want to run it bye (pun intended) you to get your ideas.

It would be run like the NCAA 64 man tournament with 32 contestants on each side dwindling down to a final four in only 4 rounds. The complete contest will only have 6 rounds to completion with absolutely NO BYES. If a bye was needed it would only be in the first round if there were less than 64 contestants. So if there were 64 players there'd be no byes. I have my own software I wrote years ago in application VB to run 64 man brackets in bowling tournaments. So everybody would be randomly placed in the first round and then the bracket would unfold just like the NCAA's would. Only way this could work with no byes is all ties will be broken prior to the next round irregardless as to how many tie breaker rounds necessary,. All tie breaker rounds will be on a speed basis to keep the contest moving along. So if rounds were scheduled on Monday's and Thursday's that wouldn't change. What would happen if there was a tie there would be a tie breaker round posted and all ties square off against the opponent they just tied with and submit a grade within one day. If you tie again there would be another tie breaker round posted again. etc. etc. The tie breakers need to be finished within three days even if we need to go to speed rounds to accomplish this. So if you’re in a tie don’t go anywhere you’ll be needed to face off with your opponent until only one is left standing. Don’t know what to do about prizes as a fixed income limits that. But I could donate some comics. I have 85 CGC'd comics, none purchased on eBay so nobody could track my history, they've all been submitted by me. Some of those aren't back yet as they're eco's that they received 4/12 that I should have soon.

Clare

Fabulous, but you could seed it - use the big fat chart from Comic Supply's contest. THis would be great. No ties.

That's exactly what I had in mind, Nefaria. And I definitely think that the contestants should be seeded based on either the current contest.

I feel that (CS's) contest stands on it's own. This one starts out completely random. No alphabetical matching.. But on the other hand I see your reasoning. If any bye's were needed due to the lack of 64 contestants, use the winners from CS contest. But it would then favor some contestants from CS's contest that received byes in that contest. So I think a freash start randomly is needed. Why keep people down while their down.

Didn't Nikos do one like this? It was fun, but after the first round, which I whiffed on, all I got to do was watch. frown.gif

Yeah, and the "Niko's Format" is the proven winner, as not only do ties/byes not enter into it, you can have an off-day and still win the darn thing.

I think a cool alternate method would be to set up a Nikos contest, and then after say... 5 rounds, you do it like golf, and set a cut-off. Those missing the cut (15 points or whatever) would drop to a Loser bracket (starting at 0), and so on, through the Megalosers Bracket and then onto Elimination.

No "Final Winner" deal, just a winner in each bracket after X rounds.

That would give us all of the benefits of both the Nikos and ComicSupply formats (no ties/byes, consistency pays off, you can play for a long time, etc.), with none of the negatives. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sounds like I see a JC contest on the horizon.

BTW these were just thoughts as I'm not going to run a contest and field a bunch of complaints. It's either accepted or it's not. Just as Nikos and CS's contest should be.

OH ya that's why you liked the Nikos contest you won it. 27_laughing.gif

JC, I gotta say that's not a bad idea to run a PGA Golf-type contest. The problem with head-to-head matchups is the fact that you can lose while being closer to the grade than other players who move on. I do have to agree with you that the only TRUE way to determine a "scan grading" champion is to do it on a points-based system.

Maybe, since we are talking about grades, the grading can be done this way:

- The number of grades that you are off becomes your total score, for example, if in the first round someone gives an 8.0 book a 7.0 grade, they're score for that round is +2.

- If someone nails the grade, they earn no points.

This way, the lowest score wins after so many rounds, much like golf. And I do like the idea of a cut off after so many rounds. We would simply, say after 6 rounds for example, determine which score would allow for half of the contestants to move on. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd be willing to run it if I were provided with scans. Of course, would people who provide scans be able to participate? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure, if I provide scans I'd nail it every round. insane.gif Obviously who ever provided scans wouldn't be participating. But some clarification would be necessary . You must mean the score closest to zero would be best. Because if it was lowest I’d submit 0.5 or a zero if it was legal. Then you’d have the lowest score. I could provide scans and stay out. Or run it. But I’ve got to admit having a charlatan or mediator would be nice to take the heat.

Sure, if I provide scans I'd nail it every round. insane.gif Obviously who ever provided scans wouldn't be participating. But some clarification would be necessary . You must mean the score closest to zero would be best. Because if it was lowest I’d submit 0.5 or a zero if it was legal. Then you’d have the lowest score. I could provide scans and stay out. Or run it. But I’ve got to admit having a charlatan or mediator would be nice to take the heat.

No, Nefaria. I don't think you understood completely. The lowest score has nothing to do with the lowest grade. If the grade was 9.4, and you submitted 9.6, your score for that round would be 1. Each round would be totalled, and at the end of it all, basically the person who missed by the fewest total grades wins; hence, the lowest score wins, in the end.

And when I say "should scan providers participate?;" I'm referring to people who maybe sumbit only 1 scan to be used; not all of them.

Actually, to be closer to golf, you'd have to allow negatives if you score close or nail the grade.

Each comic should be ranked according to difficulty, with hard ones being Par 5, and easy ones Par 3. The higher the hole rating, the lower the potential score if you nail it, as you might be -2 or -3 for a Par 5, but only 0 or Even for a Par 3. Being one grade level away would also pay off more with a Par 5 than a 3.

That would bring the same kind of hole variation as you get in golf, and allow a higher point total for tougher books, while keeping the scores pretty basic for the easier ones. 18 holes later, we have a winner.

Now all I need is 18 CGC books of varying grades. The first part is done, but they're mostly HG. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, to be closer to golf, you'd have to allow negatives if you score close or nail the grade.

Each comic should be ranked according to difficulty, with hard ones being Par 5, and easy ones Par 3. The higher the hole rating, the lower the potential score if you nail it, as you might be -2 or -3 for a Par 5, but only 0 or Even for a Par 3. Being one grade level away would also pay off more with a Par 5 than a 3.

That would bring the same kind of hole variation as you get in golf, and allow a higher point total for tougher books, while keeping the scores pretty basic for the easier ones. 18 holes later, we have a winner.

Now all I need is 18 CGC books of varying grades. The first part is done, but they're mostly HG. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I didn't want to get that deep into it. I think it would only confuse the situation. Besides, in NCAA golf, golfers do not get into negative scores very often. A good NCAA championship score for an individual would be about +3.

Clare

unless i missed the boat somewhere this is precisely the same as Nikos March Madness Contest, isn't it??? Valiantman beat me in the finals in the 6th round.

BUT, there were MANY tie break rounds required after every round of the contest in order to keep the number of players correct. there were no byes. while there was the usual amount of trash-talking, the contest went quite smoothly and without the constant whining and bickering that has plagued this latest contest from the beginning.

i still don't know why folks can't just abide by the rules that were laid out initially and STFU.......... sign-rantpost.gif

i still don't know why folks can't just abide by the rules that were laid out initially and STFU.......... sign-rantpost.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

well said, people always know the rules laid out beforehand, yet they STILL manage to complain. If you don't like the rules as they are laid out, don't play. People aren't forcing you to play.

Only two par levels:

High grade (par 2) and Mid/Low grade (par 3):

For a High grade (9.0-up):

Nail it = -1

Off by one = 0

Off by 2 = +1

etc...

Others:

Nail it = -2

Off by one = -1

Off by two = 0

etc...

It's easy to be close on those 9.0-9.8 books.

Look at the last rounds results, then go look at a rounds results for a 6.0.

smirk.gif

But you couln't annouce until after the round which level it was as that would be a give away.

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

well said, people always know the rules laid out beforehand, yet they STILL manage to complain. If you don't like the rules as they are laid out, don't play. People aren't forcing you to play.

We are abiding by ComicSupply's rules. This thread is intended to discuss a new possible contest. makepoint.gif

Hey, I know it's degenerated past that, but it was actually all those "Stat Hounds" that brought this on themselves. I warned them all that taking an alternative view of the results (and showing different winners than are actually winning) as well as posting all those anal stats, and basically getting the whole ball rolling, is not a good idea and demeans the contest and the participants.

It looks like I was right.

And sure, I played along and posted the Bye Stats, but that was not whining, but PURE MATH. Numbers don't lie.

Besides, in NCAA golf, golfers do not get into negative scores very often. A good NCAA championship score for an individual would be about +3.

Why would I care what NCAA golfers score? Have you been drinking again?