• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 129 newbie blunder
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hi everybody!

So I am new to the hobby and just started collecting last month.  I bought this locally from a guy for $600 on Craigslist and was intending on pressing it.  However, there was a stain on Punisher's chest and a little bit to the left of it.  Being a Type A person (a clean place for everything and everything in its clean place), I looked up how to clean comic book covers and several sites said to never wet clean and to only dry clean.  As suggested I started with a used fabric softener sheet which did absolutely nothing, and then a dry cellulose sponge which took off some of it, then I moved onto a pencil eraser.  Apparently, I scrubbed way too hard with the eraser and it took off some of the yellow color.  Obviously a huge blunder made, now I'm kicking myself in the butt. 

I was thinking of sending it into joeypost for press and onto CGC. (Didin't know joeypost cleans it when I started collecting last month)

But, should I even send it into press and grade at this point?  How does CGC grade color loss?  Did I already lose money on the deal?

Pics are after my blunder.  

IMG_3606.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

interesting grading challenge with the color loss spot.  Numerous moderate sized spine creases, some color breaking, some non-color breaking, and one 1/2" non-color breaking crease under Franks arm.  If CGC believes you are trying to improve the grade of a book by erasing or removing a stain or writing (there is residual embossing / denting where the writing / mark was erased), then you will get hit with a PLOD (would be very harsh in your case).  Otherwise, this would count as a spot of cover wear with color loss.  I'm going to be optimistic and favor the latter case. 

CGC 7.0 as is.  with a skilled press (and if this the eraser spot is not considered resto) this could hit 7.5 - 8.0

1 minute ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

And I sent this to joeypost for a press as well (thumbsu

that does look better than a 7.5, although the image is blurry and we don't see the back cover.  would be interested to see the grader notes.

1 minute ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Mine was light spine stress, all adds up, back cover is as clear as the front

Grading is super tight

Man, I would be tempted to break open that slab and sell it raw.  Must have had a grader that hates Punisher or something. 

3 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Man, I would be tempted to break open that slab and sell it raw.  Must have had a grader that hates Punisher or something. 

I was expecting 8.5 at the very least, 9 at best

Oh well 

I have learnt very fast that if you expect certain grades you will be dissapointed most of the time.

You should send a message to joeypost and ask for his advice on your nice book (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

I was expecting 8.5 at the very least, 9 at best

Oh well 

I have learnt very fast that if you expect certain grades you will be dissapointed most of the time.

You should send a message to joeypost and ask for his advice on your nice book (thumbsu

Ok, so I'm looked around but couldn't find how to search for users.  How do I contact joeypost?  Thanks so much Punisherx3

14 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Ok, so I'm looked around but couldn't find how to search for users.  How do I contact joeypost?  Thanks so much Punisherx3

Here is his profile page. Click the message icon and write him a message.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/profile/6308-joeypost/

On 3/21/2019 at 11:58 PM, davet75 said:

interesting grading challenge with the color loss spot.  Numerous moderate sized spine creases, some color breaking, some non-color breaking, and one 1/2" non-color breaking crease under Franks arm.  If CGC believes you are trying to improve the grade of a book by erasing or removing a stain or writing (there is residual embossing / denting where the writing / mark was erased), then you will get hit with a PLOD (would be very harsh in your case).  Otherwise, this would count as a spot of cover wear with color loss.  I'm going to be optimistic and favor the latter case. 

CGC 7.0 as is.  with a skilled press (and if this the eraser spot is not considered resto) this could hit 7.5 - 8.0

Update. It came back after press from Joey a 7.0 Universal.  

On 3/26/2019 at 4:46 PM, Bluemedgroup said:

I'd be tempted as well, but what else is going on with that book? Anything inside?