• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will we ever see another true key comic?
3 3

147 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

That may be an explanation, but it's definitely not a qualification.

I agree it is not a qualification but it still happens anyway, regardless of the fact it is NOT a qualification and people still get hired and paid. its not just peoples family that get hired. people's friends get hired too.

10 hours ago, talesof... said:

I could of mentioned that stan Lee's brother....you know stan Lee right?. He was the face of marvel comics.... his brother was hired at marvel too. I wonder how he got the job? HMM..... how's that for a finisher? now PROVE to ME it doesn't happen.

The burden of proof is on you.

Give me factual evidence. Not conjecture.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

The burden of proof is on you.

Give me factual evidence. Not conjecture.

you make me laugh. the old "give me proof", then when proof is given.."give me more proof im not convinced" routine, I give you irrefutable,factual,evidence, and you want more. TOO BAD. its out there go find it. Its on you now to prove it doesn't happen. ill go further in stan Lee's comic themed autobiography he tells the story about his brother getting a job at marvel and how it came to be. it was because...you guessed it...he knew stan and there was some tension because of it but he fell into his own after he worked there according to Stan. My former boss before he retired would not hire anyone unless they knew someone that worked at my company but that wasn't a "formal' job requirement. it was an unspoken one that people knew about...because they worked there and knew it wasn't right. that changed a LITTLE when he finally retired to it "helped" if you knew someone.  far as im concerned you need to give me proof backing up your opinion, as I have given proof backing what I said. otherwise you can move along and we can agree to disagree.

4 minutes ago, talesof... said:

you make me laugh. the old "give me proof", then when proof is given.."give me more proof im not convinced" routine, I give you irrefutable,factual,evidence, and you want more. TOO BAD. its out there go find it. Its on you now to prove it doesn't happen. ill go further in stan Lee's comic themed autobiography he tells the story about his brother getting a job at marvel and how it came to be. it was because...you guessed it...he knew stan and there was some tension because of it but he fell into his own after he worked there according to Stan. My former boss before he retired would not hire anyone unless they knew someone that worked at my company but that wasn't a "formal' job requirement. it was an unspoken one that people knew about...because they worked there and knew it wasn't right. that changed a LITTLE when he finally retired to it "helped" if you knew someone.  far as im concerned you need to give me proof backing up your opinion, as I have given proof backing what I said. otherwise you can move along and we can agree to disagree.

You gave us nothing but conjecture. Zero factual evidence has been provided.

"You make me laugh" isn't the proper retort to a request for proof. Please try again. I didn't read anything after those 4 words.

There's a reason that employers request "references". Obviously that has completely flown over your head.

The real world understands. References are not necessarily an "in". Personal merits earn careers. People won't put their name on the line for someone who isn't qualified. And that's where your burden lies. You've yet to expose anything.

40 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

There's a reason that employers request "references". Obviously that has completely flown over your head.

The real world understands. References are not necessarily an "in". Personal merits earn careers. People won't put their name on the line for someone who isn't qualified. And that's where your burden lies. You've yet to expose anything.

the FACT you didn't bother to read shows where your mind set is at. FACT: stan Lee's brother Larry did not walk into the company and want to get a job. He got the job because he KNEW stan.

At one point the local sheriff where I live hired people because they were from the same town as he was or because they went to church with him. If you think that there is never a case where someone who generally is not qualified is not given a job you are in fact delusional and no one can help you. You just backed yourself in a corner not expecting me to give you facts. Under your own admittance according to your own words, you didn't even read past the first sentence. So why don't you just move along? you cant be bothered with facts. uhg you remind me of someone that when they see a yield sign in traffic, in their minds they think " oh that's a green light, I can go." or maybe youre one of THOSE people that has to have the last word even if theyre wrong. well have at it big man, have at it.

Just now, talesof... said:

the FACT you didn't bother to read shows where your mind set is at. FACT: stan Lee's brother Larry did not walk into the company and want to get a job. He got the job because he KNEW stan.

At one point the local sheriff where I live hired people because they were from the same town as he was or because they went to church with him. If you think that there is never a case where someone who generally is not qualified is not given a job you are in fact delusional and no one can help you. You just backed yourself in a corner not expecting me to give you facts. Under your own admittance according to your own words, you didn't even read past the first sentence. So why don't you just move along? you cant be bothered with facts. uhg you remind me of someone that when they see a yield sign in traffic, in their minds they think " oh that's a green light, I can go." or maybe youre one of THOSE people that has to have the last word even if theyre wrong. well have at it big man, have at it.

You don't "get" jobs you don't want. You've still failed the burden of proof. Personal experience does not equal global/market factual evidence. Case dismissed.

15 hours ago, talesof... said:

I could of mentioned that stan Lee's brother....you know stan Lee right?. He was the face of marvel comics.... his brother was hired at marvel too. I wonder how he got the job? HMM..... how's that for a finisher? now PROVE to ME it doesn't happen.

and didnt Stan get his job cause of his uncle at Atlas?

17 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

and didnt Stan get his job cause of his uncle at Atlas?

Well you would have to ask two piece if that qualifies. I was going to bring that up but he's delusional and would come up with jargon rather than accept facts. 

Give me 1 example of someone in the comic book business that is not qualified to be there, why s/he "isn't qualified", and who s/he knew to "get in".

Rob Liefeld didn't have any connections. That one's out of the way...

Edit: Stan Lee would be one of the worst examples of "unqualified". lol

Edited by TwoPiece

2 hours ago, talesof... said:

My former boss before he retired would not hire anyone unless they knew someone that worked at my company but that wasn't a "formal' job requirement. it was an unspoken one that people knew about...because they worked there and knew it wasn't right. that changed a LITTLE when he finally retired to it "helped" if you knew someone.  far as im concerned you need to give me proof backing up your opinion, as I have given proof backing what I said. otherwise you can move along and we can agree to disagree.

You seem to have an awful lot of rage for people that get jobs at a place because they know someone, for someone who has benefitted from that very thing.

On 3/25/2019 at 1:31 AM, talesof... said:

NO. I;m going to tell you why. Under FULL influence of a HOT TODDY.

I didn't even read this thread but only the title and I can attest that those days are gone. The reason is partly the lack of creativity. The characters are riding the coattails of already existing characters and claiming the terms 'diversity' the politics is really what is oversaturating the medium and dragging it down. You HAVE to have a female, you HAVE to have a minority, you HAVE to hire a female writer for the book, you HAVE to hire a gay/lesbian for the art.

I was in a movie theater and saw those commercials before the movie previews and it was some girl for marvel and she said something about she was a lesbian female latina. The last time I checked being those 3 things wasn't a qualification for doing art or writing. The qualification is talent OR knowing someone. or asking the question what are you good at and going from there.

Now MAYBE there is merit for a non Marvel or DC book. look at the walking dead and image. BUT is it mainstream? its got a Tv show. is that the measure of success. I got into collecting comic books because I enjoy the art and story when I first walked into a comic book store my imagination ran wild looking at all the wall books and colors and awesome art in the late 80's early 90's. well the books don't hardly have words anymore. and most of the time the art is abysmal at best. This is the generation of kids that were on medication growing up because their parents didn't want to deal with them and the creativity is gone. Look back at the comic books from the 70's 80's and even some 90's the stuff they tackled would not even be touched today because everybody gets too offended and the fans aren't being listened to. The biggest thing is creativity. im not seeing it. it will be gone by the wayside when the 90s kids grow up. until people dig through some relatives "old" stuff and say ' This is awesome" and the natural imagination of a kid will take over and then and only then will something come from it but we wont be here when that happens. characters that stand the test of time are gone. the original creators are gone. its the generation of piggy backing now. look at miles morales. " hey, lets take spiderman and make him into another race." or spidergwen. "hey lets take spiderman and a iconic popular character and change the universe and so on, and so on. lets take the hulk and turn him Chinese. because why not? my point is, until the creative juices flow by some next comic book star the days of a key book of iconic status are done. IF there is such a thing it will be something technological and something only kids will get. YOU GOT TO HAVE CREATIVITY. a key book will NOT exist without it. There will be attempts, but it will feel bland and not have that wow factor. for crying out loud Detective comics 1000 is being advertised as the first appearance of the arkham night in dc universe. he was a video game character that was a lie from the studio. it was really Jason todd. when they could of easily kept him as red hood. but... marketing and expense associated with the entertainment industry. whattayagonnado?

I fully expect HOT TODDY to become a meme on these boards.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

You seem to have an awful lot of rage for people that get jobs at a place because they know someone, for someone who has benefitted from that very thing.

That's an assumption on your part. I don't but I'm not delusional that it does happen. 

4 minutes ago, talesof... said:

That's an assumption on your part. I don't but I'm not delusional that it does happen. 

The assumption is that you were truthful when you said:

• "My former boss"

• "would not hire someone unless they knew someone at the company"

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Give me 1 example of someone in the comic book business that is not qualified to be there, why s/he "isn't qualified", and who s/he knew to "get in".

Rob Liefeld didn't have any connections. That one's out of the way...

Edit: Stan Lee would be one of the worst examples of "unqualified". lol

Stan lee was an example of people being in the business because they know someone. Now you want examples of people being unqualified. Pick up the majority of books by marvel. Numbers don't lie. Talking to people like you is exhausting. I say the sky is blue you say, I'm not convinced, it depends on your definition of blue and technically in the afternoon it's a gold color on a sunny day. Tell me, are you a lawyer or some one in the human resources department? You remind me of those types. Blameless and legalistic. End of discussion 

5 minutes ago, talesof... said:

Stan lee was an example of people being in the business because they know someone. Now you want examples of people being unqualified. Pick up the majority of books by marvel. Numbers don't lie. Talking to people like you is exhausting. I say the sky is blue you say, I'm not convinced, it depends on your definition of blue and technically in the afternoon it's a gold color on a sunny day. Tell me, are you a lawyer or some one in the human resources department? You remind me of those types. Blameless and legalistic. End of discussion 

No. As history will show you - he was one of the people with the most impact in the industry. He didn't accomplish this "by knowing someone in the business". He accomplished this by his own merit. With creative ideas, as an editor, and as a great person. He's a world-recognized idol, legend, and hero himself.

You have failed to cite a single piece of evidence to support your wild claim. "Pick up the majority" blah blah blah is not evidence. It doesn't even suggest evidence. It's throwing crumpled up pieces of paper at a wall - there's no chance of sticking.

"Numbers don't lie" literally means nothing to this discussion. Everything after that quote is entirely meaningless to anything and everything related to existence.

The ad hominems detract from any point you could even attempt to make. You're adding to the baseless nature of your wild accusations.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The assumption is that you were truthful when you said:

• "My former boss"

• "would not hire someone unless they knew someone at the company"

Stan Lee did pioneer the industry for sure. But how did he get his foot in the door? He knew someone. "Uncle" all the other stuff was just filler without merit given to the fact Stan lee got the job in part because he knew someone. That's it. The comics industry wasnt what it is now back then. I explained that as clearly as I could giving fact. Not filler compliments for Stan. The discussion is over. You can talk about it if you want. It's detailed the entire point of the thread as already pointed out.