• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My SD con report

97 posts in this topic

It was great to see you, POV. How many GA dealers did you you think would be at the con? I certainly don't expect to see every single major back issue dealer at the show, but I thought there was a quite good representation of heavy hitters as well as the smaller west coast dealers. The economics and logistics of time, money and travel prohibit this. Also, I think I've come to realize that the back issue market of collectors and dealers who are willing/able to travel to buy and sell is just smaller than a lot of us might realize.

Well, Jim, I honestly had no idea. But you have to remember, even though I started collecting late in life I have been at it for 25 years now. And "San Diego Con" - well, you know the reputation it has and can probably intuit the reputation it built up in my brain reading about it year after year.

Now don;t get me wrong. I had a blast and am really glad I went. And I went through my budget and got some really sweet books, several of them with true classic covers. The trip was a true success (any trip with that many forumites can;t be a bust). I was just surprised by the mass of non-comic stuff. So stop ragging on me, ok? Huh? Man! Some people. BTW - that's a bad outFIT!!!!!!!!!!

grin.gif

Dell'Otto does some amazing work. The first thing i noticed when he did a sketch for me was that he doesn't use any blue pencil to rough out the form - the man gets straight to work.

Had no idea he was appearing either, just happened to walk buy the Marvel/Activision booth and saw his name on the whiteboard. Well worth the ~1 hr wait

he did a Phoenix for me cloud9.gif

phoenix.jpg

I aslo suggested he put Richard from Bedrock ON the panel because Richard, a good guy, turned into a panleist from the audience. But he DID bring up some very good points from the real dealer's point of view.

pov, excellent post! I'm curious to hear what was said once the panel discussion turned to restoration, and in particular what Rich Evans articulated as "the real dealer's point of view". I hope Mark was able to arrange for the panel to be taped or videotaped so us non-attendees will be able to hear/see for ourselves.

the panel was audio recorded

Yes, by two mini-audio recorders one of which was Mark's. If he or somebody is willing to listen to it and transcribe it then that would be cool. I can't imagine that the quality of the sound would be that good though.

Joseph,

Larger Scan of the sketch please ( Do not worry, I cannot drool on it online)

And I like this Dell'Otto chap already.. he is a lefty!

Always nice to be able to meet those whose work you admire, and appreciate.

Great story.

Ze-

And I wanted to add.. that website is wicked slick.

He is bent to the dark side just a wee bit..ehh?

thumbsup2.gif

Here you go Kenny:

876530-dellotto_sketch.jpg

876530-dellotto_sketch.jpg.43646bf3b00d1407e9211fe01cc30bcd.jpg

Dell'Otto does some amazing work. The first thing i noticed when he did a sketch for me was that he doesn't use any blue pencil to rough out the form - the man gets straight to work.

Had no idea he was appearing either, just happened to walk buy the Marvel/Activision booth and saw his name on the whiteboard. Well worth the ~1 hr wait

he did a Phoenix for me cloud9.gif

phoenix.jpg

WICKED!! headbang.gif