• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rick and Morty???

28 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Okay, then how about asking $5,000? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rick-And-Morty-1-CGC-9-8-White-Pages-First-Printing-HTF-1A/292726054796?hash=item4427d51f8c:g:DMYAAOSwX6dbmpIU

Makes that $3,000 book seem quite a bargain now doesn't it? :grin:

They're both worth $50 to me.

29 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

I got the Image dates wrong - my bad a explained above.

Well the book was only in English and only distributed in North America so let's start there.  Are you saying this number is not accurate?   Even Kirkman once said the circulation was about 7,000 copies and that he wished he had kept more (I'm sure!).  

https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/Issue_1

You can argue maybe there are a few more issues but is still ~7,500ish.

1. The book almost certainly wasn't distributed only in North America. Diamond has English language accounts all over the world, many of whom order American comics on a regular basis. None of those numbers is reported by Diamond.

2.  Kirkman is more involved in production, distribution, and sales more than most creators, but circulation is not the same thing as print run. 

3. Both Kirkman and Moore had their own supply of #1, completely unrepresented in Diamond's numbers, that they sold at conventions throughout 2003 and 2004, and perhaps even into 2005.

4. The wiki you link properly reports estimated sales, not print run.

5. As Lazyboy pointed out above, estimated distribution to North Am shops in the first month is not analogous to print run. It's an estimate; it doesn't account for sales outside North Am, and it doesn't account for reorders (which is not zero.)

As to the relevant question, Rick & Morty was an unexpected hit, and the first issues weren't produced in very high numbers. The first issue isn't worth $3,000..the highest it's ever sold for is $1,000...but the Roiland variant has sold for as high as $5,000.

31 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

1. The book almost certainly wasn't distributed only in North America. Diamond has English language accounts all over the world, many of whom order American comics on a regular basis. None of those numbers is reported by Diamond.

2.  Kirkman is more involved in production, distribution, and sales more than most creators, but circulation is not the same thing as print run. 

3. Both Kirkman and Moore had their own supply of #1, completely unrepresented in Diamond's numbers, that they sold at conventions throughout 2003 and 2004, and perhaps even into 2005.

5. As Lazyboy pointed out above, estimated distribution to North Am shops in the first month is not analogous to print run. It's an estimate; it doesn't account for sales outside North Am, and it doesn't account for reorders (which is not zero.)

As to the relevant question, Rick & Morty was an unexpected hit, and the first issues weren't produced in very high numbers. The first issue isn't worth $3,000..the highest it's ever sold for is $1,000...but the Roiland variant has sold for as high as $5,000.

Supposedly 3,304 copies is the print run.  Supposedly.  

14 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

OK I am sort of new to this stuff.  Yes Tony and Robert had a few boxes each of 100.  Tony “found” one after 10 years.   

So how many are out there? Limited enough to still command a strong $2,000 in 9.8.

So who knows exactly how many are out there?

Edited by BladeTX
Content

On 3/28/2019 at 1:27 PM, TwoPiece said:

It's not a $3k book until someone buys it for that much.

And then the speculation of the book being purchased by a friend begins. Market manipulation in all the modern books can be scary. I just saw a book posted on FB yesterday and couldn't believe my eyes. Lets see if I can find it.

On 3/27/2019 at 9:20 AM, BladeTX said:

What the heck is Rick and Morty and how can people be asking $3,000 for CGC 9.8 for a book just launched in 2015?   What am I missing?  Super low print run?

People can ask whatever they want. And eBay is where everybody asks very optimistic prices.  The book actually sells for less than $1000 in 9.8.  Raw copies that look NM sell for 1/2 or less of that. 

Like any other hot key issue, the trick in buying them is wait until what you want turns up in an unreserved, low starting bid auction.  That way you pay the market price, not some dreamer's imaginary one.