• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine bend

5 posts in this topic

Hey all,

So, I tried to do everything right with this one. Washed my hands, laid the book on the table (with a clean towel beneath it), didn’t flatten it out, lifted each page gently and let it fall naturally. And yet, the spine looks bent.

What did I screw up guys? Not going to lie, feel disheartened. I don’t really care much about the particular book, but I wanted to read it without damaging it. There’s a ton of other stuff I want to read in my collection, but now I’m scared of damaging it, and I ain’t got the cash to buy replacements of everything.

More generally, guys, I think worrying about condition is killing my love for actually reading. I’ve become so worried about stuff like this happening that I think I’m more concerned about it then the actual story I’m reading. I don’t want to stop collecting physical books, but certainly don’t want to be so worried about it.

A5A03710-1DF6-492D-A9EB-6A4F304492DD.jpeg

BA75835B-325D-4536-9046-EA18F29537AC.jpeg

5630BF75-3312-4921-90A8-03C6E3C71069.jpeg

Edited by Hewitt

1 hour ago, Hewitt said:

Not going to lie, feel disheartened. I don’t really care much about the particular book, but I wanted to read it without damaging it. There’s a ton of other stuff I want to read in my collection, but now I’m scared of damaging it,

You are worrying about nothing. This is paper, not glass. What's worse is that it is garbage paper, printed as cheaply as they can possibly make it.

You are massively overthinking it. You have done no damage to your book. A day in a bag and board, in the short box, and your book will be "good as new."

Why are people treating comics that were printed last week like they're from the Golden Age?

No, I don't want to damage my single issues, but I'm not going to limit enjoying my reading experience by "over-caring" for its condition...

A modern comic should be interesting enough that I want to flip the page and see/read what's next.

Wow you read your physical copies! thats too dangerous man. If you must read them you should use padded tweezers to turn the pages, and make sure to use a silk towel, cotton is too abrasive.

Maybe digital comics are what you want to read?

:jokealert:

Alright, seems I’m a bit ridiculous. Guess I gotta chill out a bit. 

On 4/1/2019 at 7:05 PM, Avi said:

Wow you read your physical copies! thats too dangerous man. If you must read them you should use padded tweezers to turn the pages, and make sure to use a silk towel, cotton is too abrasive.

Maybe digital comics are what you want to read?

:jokealert:

I like my physical copies. I tried reading stuff on ComiXology and Kindle, but E-readers just don’t do it for me; I still pack about 5-10 physical books when I go on holiday.

When I first started out, I didn’t really care much. I just read them without worrying. Then I started listening to all this advice on what to do and what not to do, and it just made me feel like I was doing it all wrong.