• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Aparo... RIP

52 posts in this topic

Are you talking about The Eye Opener comic store in Newington?

Aparo lived in Southington and there's an issue of Brave and the Bold where Batman is driving on Queen St. past The Bookery.

I had Aparo sign a copy of that comic for me years ago. He didn't like fans calling him Mr. Aparo.

Aparo was one of my all time favorites and it wasn't until about 4 months ago when I found out that he also lived in Connecticut (as I do)..My LCS was sponsering a local con and had mentioned that he was going to try and get some local talent to appear, of which Aparo was one of them...

Was that the show in Plainville? That's where I first met him years ago, when the show was at the Sphinx Temple

Are you talking about The Eye Opener comic store in Newington?

Yup...that's the one...Art is one heck of a nice dude...

Aparo lived in Southington and there's an issue of Brave and the Bold where Batman is driving on Queen St. past The Bookery.

Howzabout finding out what issue that is for me...

I had Aparo sign a copy of that comic for me years ago. He didn't like fans calling him Mr. Aparo.
thumbsup2.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm a fan but I say Mr. Aparo out of respect...however...perhaps I will now refer to him as JA... hail.gif

Was that the show in Plainville? That's where I first met him years ago, when the show was at the Sphinx Temple

Nope..the show was in Hartford at some elementary school...that's where I got to meet Jim Garney and had him do a nice full page of The Hulk...

There is a show in Plainville at the VFW run by Cliff that runs every month or 2 but as of yet I I don't think he has had any guests...

Is there another show at the Sphinx Temple???...if so howzabout lettin' me know when and where the Sphinx Temple is... thumbsup2.gif

It was (if I remember correctly) Brave and the Bold 105. Here's a link http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.asp?whichpage=&comicTableID=82058

Sorry to say, I sold it a few years ago.

I think I have the Death In The Family tpb signed by Aparo, I hope! Or maybe he signed the individual issues...which I sold last year.

Oh well.

Nope..the show was in Hartford at some elementary school...that's where I got to meet Jim Garney and had him do a nice full page of The Hulk...

There is a show in Plainville at the VFW run by Cliff that runs every month or 2 but as of yet I I don't think he has had any guests...

Is there another show at the Sphinx Temple???...if so howzabout lettin' me know when and where the Sphinx Temple is... thumbsup2.gif

I haven't been to the latest show in Plainville since it started back up - sometimes it's the same day as Hal's! I was just guessing if it was the Sphinx Temple (I think Art was the one who ran those). The Temple is on the Berlin Turnpike. I met Jim there - must've been 1996? 97? Sorry to get your hopes up that there was another comic show around there. sorry.gif

sorry.gif

Us horror heads will miss him, too. He did the art for this one from HoM 201, which I rank in my personal "Top 3" horror stories that warped my mind as a kid...

This is surreal. Most definitely I loved his DC work. I loved his art for Phantom Stranger as well... (Zonker beat me to it) We'll miss you JA. frown.gif

One of my favorite artists. His Brave and the Bold stories meant a lot to me when I was growing up.

Rest in Peace, Jim. frown.gif

sorry.gif

Us horror heads will miss him, too. He did the art for this one from HoM 201, which I rank in my personal "Top 3" horror stories that warped my mind as a kid...

876733-HoM201.jpg

This story is my HOM favorite. A great "thinking" story... I may post the entire story in the IBAHT when I get a chance.

...This one hits hard,.... frown.gif.....Thank you Jim,...you were a huge part of my childhood ,....you and tour talent will be missed,....God Bless,....