• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you trade an ASM 129 9.0 white pages for a 6 or 6.5 FF 48?

29 posts in this topic

On 4/2/2019 at 10:47 AM, Flamesfan1982 said:

You mean delete the picture because it is in a CBCS slap? How come?

I'm kinda new around here, and I had posted a picture of a book of mine with the competitor's slab on the forum. CGC removed the picture for me and hit me with a warning. You ought to repost the picture with the top info cut off.

21 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

NO.

Short term FF #48 will get a bump,but after Hulk #181 we will find ASM #129 is one of the best bronze age keys around.

Think of the top bronze ages keys like the top golden age keys.

Action 1 = Incredible Hulk #181

Detective Comics #27 = ASM #129.

Yeah, but what book has more long term value?  A Silver Age key or a Bronze Age key?

14 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Yeah, but what book has more long term value?  A Silver Age key or a Bronze Age key?

I think it goes by character`s demand.

Examples are AF#15 a silver age comic book has more demand than 90 percent of golden age comics.

Hulk #181 is now starting to gain traction on a lot of silver age keys. Most people rather have Wolverine`s first appearance than Fantastic Four now.

Also ask some people what would they rather have ASM #300(first Venom) or Tales to Astonish #27(first Ant-Man)? Hands down ASM#300 will be the winner over Tales to Astonish #27.

So we really can't go by if it`s silver age vs bronze age.

ASM #129 is a long-term winner. More can be done with stories with The Punisher than Galactus/Silver Surfer. They will get their big Galactus to earth movie story and that will be it.

The Punisher is much more flexible with making stories about.

Galactus will most likely be a one and done trying to conquer Earth movie story.

They are both good picks I just see The Punisher outlasting Galactus as a mainstream character long-term.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

7 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I think it goes by character`s demand.

Examples are AF#15 a silver age comic book has more demand than 90 percent of golden age comics.

Hulk #181 is now starting to gain traction on a lot of silver age keys. Most people rather have Wolverine`s first appearance than Fantastic Four now.

Also ask some people what would they rather have ASM #300(first Venom) or Tales to Astonish #27(first Ant-Man)? Hands down ASM#300 will be the winner over Tales to Astonish #27.

So we really can't go by if it`s silver age vs bronze age.

ASM #129 is a long-term winner. More can be done with stories with The Punisher than Galactus/Silver Surfer. They will get their big Galactus to earth movie story and that will be it.

The Punisher is much more flexible with making stories about.

Galactus will most likely be a one and done trying to conquer Earth movie story.

They are both good picks I just see The Punisher outlasting Galactus as a mainstream character long-term.

I'm confused why Galactus is the focus point.  I feel like the value is based on Silver Surfer more so than Galactus.  Villains don't get big bumps in general (look at Iron Man #55).

That said, I wholeheartedly agree that the top books of each era will transcend and have more value than other keys from earlier eras.  Incredible Hulk 181 is easily the top Bronze Age book (as far as I'm aware) and its value surpasses many a number of Silver Age keys.  I admit I've always been biased since Silver Surfer is my favorite character.  But I feel like it was a wildly popular character in the late 60's and 70s.  Conversely, I've always been a bit tepid on the Punisher.  He (and his logo) are certainly pop culture icons which add value.  It's just as a kid, I knew the importance of FF48 long before I knew the importance of ASM129.  As far as flexibility, Punisher titles have never been popular.  I suppose it's difficult when your protagonist is known to outright kill his enemies.  We've had 2?  3?  movies and a TV show so how much more of a bump can be expected from movies/TV?  To me it comes down to long term story telling and neither have had a consistent title which is why I allow my bias to impact my opinion.

23 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I'd rather have TTA #27