• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really high grade comics up for auction *DELETED*

31 posts in this topic

Actually, the guy selling those books is me. Just because somebody has low feedback does not mean he is a criminal who is going to rip you off. I pride myself on being very honest and nothing pleases me more than to recieve an e-mail from somebody who bought a comic book from me and have them say "thank you for the great book." I think it's sad when a seller gets labeled a "scam artist" just because he is new to eBay. As for posting a link to my auctions, I would if I knew how. But this I promise. Every single person who wins one of my auctions will be overjoyed when they recieve their book. These books have been hiding safely in a closet for a very long time and all I am trying to do is start an honest business.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQrdZ0QQsassZcomicseller109

Here's the link. One thing I note is that it's extremely diffcult for anyone to assess a book's grade at 9.6 and above, yet you have many books listed at 9.8 condition.

As a raw comic seller on ebay, I wouldn't feel comfortable calling a raw book as higher than 9.6 under any circumstance. If I truly believed it was a 9.8 book, I would just send it in to CGC and get the correspondingly higher price.

Also, I only looked at the Wolverine 1 auction, but I note that your scan is not overly large, and it appears to be too closely cropped to the edges of the book for proper viewing of the book. There is no possible way for anyone seeing this scan to discern whether it is 9.8, 9.6 or lower for that matter. Expect a lower price because of that.

Good luck on your auctions, but don't expect full price when you have no selling experience to speak of, when you claim books are 9.8 condition in a raw state, when you don't offer scans which would reveal the presence of defects. At least until you've proven yourself to be a good grader and reliable shipper, that is. Which may come in time, no judgments here. Just some observations.

When I graded all of these raw books I have on eBay, I simply compared them to my CGC graded books and then gave the raw book the grade that best fit that book. I may be new here as well as on eBay, but I have been into comics since I was about 12 or 13 years old and I'm 31 years old now. I do know a little about comics as well as grading. All of these books I have up for auction have been safely tucked away for a very long time. Even as a child I always demanded that my books be extremely high grade. Most of the books I have up for auction have never been read and have been stored away ever since I bought them. I have been bitten by the CGC bug ever since I sent in my first book for grading last month, so I picked about 50 of the best books out of my collection with the intention of getting them graded by CGC, and the rest of my books, 500 or so are all going up for auction. I also have lots of doubles and triples of certain issues as well, so I am only going to keep one copy to get graded and sell the rest on eBay. As for a return policy, I suppose if the buyer was extremely unhappy with the book, I would refund his money, but because of the condition of the books I'm selling, I just don't see that happening. Also, I don't have a digital camera to take really detailed photo's of the books I'm selling. All I have is an old scanner hooked to my computer. I simply scanned the covers of each book and used those pictures to post with my auctions.

well I took a chance and bid on a few and will bid on more... but if there's wildly inaccurate grading or fraud... I'm sure everyone here will know about. If it's accurate grading (at least 9.4s on 9.6s) well, then I'll be the first to praise.

Actually, the guy selling those books is me. Just because somebody has low feedback does not mean he is a criminal who is going to rip you off. I pride myself on being very honest and nothing pleases me more than to recieve an e-mail from somebody who bought a comic book from me and have them say "thank you for the great book." I think it's sad when a seller gets labeled a "scam artist" just because he is new to eBay. As for posting a link to my auctions, I would if I knew how. But this I promise. Every single person who wins one of my auctions will be overjoyed when they recieve their book. These books have been hiding safely in a closet for a very long time and all I am trying to do is start an honest business.

Did I say "scam artist?" Don't think I did. But unless you actually INTRODUCE yourself as the seller, you should understand that runs of high-grade books by sellers with 1 feedback and a few day's history on eBay are mostly scams. So instead of faulting US for reasonable vigilance, you might give us a bit more info so we'll know it's you.

Having said that now, there are some good books in that list!

Also would be nice if you dropped a coupla' "thank yous" to the board members who helped you out in this thread by posting links and info for you.

Larger scans would have been nice. I'm not trying to pile on here but in your post a week or so ago you were talking about how you were sure you had a 9.4 Hulk 181 & were shocked when it came back an 8.0. Moderns are graded even tighter than Bronze so it casts some doubt on your ability to grade tightly. As a previous poster mentioned, it is damn hard to look at a book & predict a 9.8, untrained eyes are going to have problems with 9.4 to 9.6 also. Hope all goes well.

that's why I've placed some bids and will be reporting back to the rest of you on the grading. To be quite honest, I have low expectations. If I am pleasantly surprised, that'll be just fine and it'll be another solid source to pick up books... let's see what happens.

well, now I started looking again at your auctions and bells are just starting to go off about your grading. You advertise 9.4 to 9.6 -- and then answer with six tiny stress lines. Um, no 9.4 or 9.6s are having that many stress lines. Of course you have to get up close! Hey I've got a nice 5.0 in a mylar that looks 9.4 if you stand 100 feet away.

I'm sure you are honest, so that's not the issue, but people are NOT (most likely )going to get deals and expect these books to be about 8.5s and 9.0s not 9.4s and 9.6s... which again jives with your assessment of the hulk 181 you were "surprised" to get an 8.0 on.