• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to get boxes for shipping slabs.

22 posts in this topic

I've been flying all around town looking for someone that sells a good box for shipping slabs. Most places have a box too small or way too large. Scotch has a box that's pretty good but a little pricey. So where you all get your boxes?

48 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I’ve started double boxing 2 PM boxes... a 1095 inside a Regional B or 1097, depending on distance.

Edit: the number may be wrong.

Thief!

jkjk, I do this too. Just had a flashback to the boardie who had a buyer make that accusation after receiving their book boxed in this manner. :screwy:

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Thief!

jkjk, I do this too. Just had a flashback to the boardie who had a buyer make that accusation after receiving their book boxed in this manner. :screwy:

Well, I stole it from someone here. Might as well be you! :)

I have actually had good luck... except for one time... shipping a slab in a PM legal size envelope, inside 2 PM padded envelopes, and double surrounded by cardboard. But those were books mostly under 200. 

Edited by oldrover

2 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I have actually had good luck... except for one time... shipping a slab in a PM legal size envelope, inside 2 PM padded envelopes, and double surrounded by cardboard. But those were books mostly under 200. 

Never had any problems with double boxing. 1095 is the minimum for single box.  1097 and 1092 are almost the length of a slab and do not give good protection if single boxed. I’ve had 1 slab cracked when I shipped 1097 and have received cracked with 1092 and 1097.

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Thief!

:acclaim:

That nutjob did end up apologizing by the way :)

16 hours ago, comicquant said:

Some may think these are overkill but I've had many people thank me for using them.  U-line's double-walled 18 x 12 x 6 box.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-19772/Corrugated-Boxes-Heavy-Duty/18-x-12-x-6-275-lb-Double-Wall-Corrugated-Boxes?keywords=S-19772

You know I think that would be perfect for sending 3 or 4 slabs. Maybe a bit big for 1.

9 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

You know I think that would be perfect for sending 3 or 4 slabs. Maybe a bit big for 1.

Its great for multiples but if its a single slab over $1k I'll still ship in one of these.  Just need to have a lot of filler laying around.

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Its great for multiples but if its a single slab over $1k I'll still ship in one of these.  Just need to have a lot of filler laying around.

For 1-2 slabs I go with the 1092 in a 1095 USPS box route. However, for 3 or more slabs or if I'm out of the USPS boxes, I'll use ComicLinks method.  They will ship up to 4 (expensive) slabs inside a single large white bubble envelope with the flap folded and taped down and then place that into a sturdy 14 x 18 x 6" box filled with packing peanuts.  I'm amazed at how effective that is and have never received a damaged comic from them no matter how much abuse the box has suffered.  I tend to buy a lot from them so I always have a bunch of these lying around that I re-use.  You can usually do either the USPS doublebox or ComicLink style for a single slab at a min weight of 2lb.