• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Entire Hawkeye (2012) Run: Worth It?

4 posts in this topic

I heard Disney+ was making a Hawkeye series, supposedly based on Matt Fraction and David Aja's 2012-2015.  That reminded me that had the complete run in storage, issue #1-22 plus the Annual.  

All issue are first edition, have been bagged and boarded, safely stored for years.  I would estimate they are in 9.2 NM- to 9.8 NM+ condition.  Would it be worth it to get the entire collection CGC graded?  Are there buyers interested in purchasing a collection like that?  I might even keep it for myself since there are great covers art.  

If I did want to this, what would be the best way to submit 23 comics all at once?  Is there a bulk or value service?  Or is "modern" grading the only option?  

If you are looking to sell them, I wouldn’t bother. Only three sales in the past week of graded Fraction Hawkeye books. Issue 1 at 9.8 pulling $60, another issue got less than the cost to get it graded. Even with this new Disney animated show in the works the only issue I see possibly gaining is issue 1. 

If you are doing it for yourself and want them protected forever sure. But in terms of upping the value I don’t think that will be the case and if you did sell the lot you would likely lose money. 

generally, you can do a bit of research on ebay to look for completed sales to get a ballpark on the going prices of books.  Additionally, there's a thing called GPA analysis that tracks sales of graded comics.   From there you can go to the CGC website and calculate your grading and shipping costs.  After that, you can compare to your own preferences and financial factors and make your own reasonably informed decision.