• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay Seller cornfieldcomics-and-bricks BEWARE
3 3

427 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Go back and quote what I edited in.  His “strong” case is weak and dependent on words on a message board. 

Buzz who is for some reason stuck in Jamaica even though this train doesn’t stop in Jamaica. 

You on the LIRR?

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Grading...the opinion as to the general condition of the item in question...the "number on the label"...is subjective, and cannot be guaranteed, by anyone.

The presence or absence of restoration is not subjective. It is either there or it is not; whether and by whom it is, or is not, detected, or even if someone makes an error, doesn't change the absolute truth of whether it exists or not. 

I should have said that they have been known to make mistakes.  I’ve tested the grading services between both companies and while CGC has been more consistent they both missed things. CBCS missed way more. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I should have said that they have been known to make mistakes.  I’ve tested the grading services between both companies and while CGC has been more consistent they both missed things. CBCS missed way more. 

There's some argument about 'it's either there or it's not'.  Sometimes, no one can say.  Remember that couple that was restoring/building covers so imperceptably they just stopped grading their stuff because they couldnt detect reliably.  There was also that JIM 83 untrimmed/trimmed/untrimmed/trimmed deal.

A3FA3279-9D27-40E7-9193-E2AB9BDDB349.jpeg

at least there's no squat cobblers.

Are there?

I cannot imagine living in a culture which relies on public transit. It's just completely foreign to me. If I need to do anything, I walk outside, get in my truck, and drive myself there.

No comment on whether that's good or bad...there are benefits and disadvantages to both...just mentioning how foreign the idea is to me, a native Californian.

1 minute ago, kav said:

There's some argument about 'it's either there or it's not'.  Sometimes, no one can say.  Remember that couple that was restoring/building covers so imperceptably they just stopped grading their stuff because they couldnt detect reliably.  There was also that JIM 83 untrimmed/trimmed/untrimmed/trimmed deal.

I had something occur that was similar to the JIM 83 with CGC and another book where I had a raw book slabbed by CGC... something was missed that the other guys found but missed something CGC found and then when it went back to CGC they found what the others guys did but missed something that the other guys found. 

Different grading standards I guess. 

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I cannot imagine living in a culture which relies on public transit. It's just completely foreign to me. If I need to do anything, I walk outside, get in my truck, and drive myself there.

No comment on whether that's good or bad...there are benefits and disadvantages to both...just mentioning how foreign the idea is to me, a native Californian.

I used to drive to work. Then hipsters moved into Brooklyn and the infrastructure could not handle the traffic. I have a dedicated parking space and still I take mass transit. 

Hey, it means the Jeep I bought last year will last 17 years like the Mustang did. 

I had something occur that was similar to the JIM 83 with CGC and another book where I had a raw book slabbed by CGC... something was missed that the other guys found but missed something CGC found and then when it went back to CGC they found what the others guys did but missed something that the other guys found. 

Different grading standards I guess. 

It's basically a forensic analysis and there's always some variability in skill, luck and chance.

Just now, Buzzetta said:

What’s a squat cobbler ?

deuce droppers I think you call them

5 minutes ago, kav said:

deuce droppers I think you call them

People pulling down their pants and taking a mess in front of me?  No that’s the downtown A or C subway at 720am

the “s” word converts to “mess” fwiw 

Edited by Buzzetta

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Sure, but missing it doesn't change the absolute truth about whether it's there or not. It can be so subtle that it's difficult to detect...and that's the case with most (proper) pressing...but that doesn't change the objective truth of whether it's there or not. And in 9,999 out of 10,000 cases, it's detectable and demonstrable. 

In this particular case, I'm 99% willing to affirm that CGC got it correct, and it would be easily demonstrated. 

I shudder to think what is being successfully gotten by CBCS, on purpose. :eek:

I just worked on a major mid Silver Age key in fairly high grade. I spent several minutes examining it to see how I could get the pressable defects out...and only after looking at it for a long time, did I notice a couple of tiny, pinhole color touches. They were barely visible, and could be easily missed. They were literal dots on the apex of the spine. Even under magnification, they were hard to see. And the bleed through was so minimal, you could easily miss them, even if you saw them...they looked like they could be stray printer ink dots. 

The seller missed them, the buyer missed them...I would have missed them, had I not spent 5-10 minutes going over every square inch of this book...but they were still there, whether they were detected or not. 

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Sure, but missing it doesn't change the absolute truth about whether it's there or not. It can be so subtle that it's difficult to detect...and that's the case with most (proper) pressing...but that doesn't change the objective truth of whether it's there or not. And in 9,999 out of 10,000 cases, it's detectable and demonstrable. 

In this particular case, I'm 99% willing to affirm that CGC got it correct, and it would be easily demonstrated. 

I shudder to think what is being successfully gotten by CBCS, on purpose. :eek:

I just worked on a major mid Silver Age key in fairly high grade. I spent several minutes examining it to see how I could get the pressable defects out...and only after looking at it for a long time, did I notice a couple of tiny, pinhole color touches. They were barely visible, and could be easily missed. They were literal dots on the apex of the spine. Even under magnification, they were hard to see. And the bleed through was so minimal, you could easily miss them, even if you saw them...they looked like they could be stray printer ink dots. 

The seller missed them, the buyer missed them...I would have missed them, had I not spent 5-10 minutes going over every square inch of this book...but they were still there, whether they were detected or not. 

Very fair statement 

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I used to drive to work. Then hipsters moved into Brooklyn and the infrastructure could not handle the traffic. I have a dedicated parking space and still I take mass transit. 

Hey, it means the Jeep I bought last year will last 17 years like the Mustang did. 

I would go insane. I don't see the appeal of living in a place so densely packed, I can touch both my neighbors just by putting my arms out. I've lived in houses since 1999. I cannot imagine going back to an apartment, with loud, screaming, yelling people on all sides. I am verrrrry thankful to be living in the wide open West, where I can get on a road and not encounter more than a handful of others for hours.

:eek:

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Oh this is why I live on Long Island... I don’t want to hear people on other side of walls. I like my yard and like I did yesterday, I like taking my bike down to the beach. 

5407570B-6773-4704-BD71-3CEE70F183A3.jpeg

I hate you.