• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Contest Poll

What Format Should the Next Grading Contest Follow?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What Format Should the Next Grading Contest Follow?

35 posts in this topic

The format of Nikos' last contest is unbeatable.

Nevertheless, here's my pitch for a fun team contest:

Even number of three-man teams, randomly selected. Each team selects their own captain. (If players can't decide in a civilized fashion, then the whole team forfeits.)

Captain submits one grade each round, representing the entire team. (Allowing equal input from all members during grade deliberation is strongly encouraged. Any team that breaks down into petty infighting will be ejected.)

12 rounds exactly, no playoffs (unless sudden death is required to determine sole winner). All teams participate in all 12 rounds. All pairings are random.

Win-Loss-Tie records will be kept for each team. For the purposes of determining the best record: Wins are worth 2 points; Ties are worth 1; Losses, 0.

Additionally, the 4-point accuracy scoring system from the last contest will be used. This will serve as a tie-breaker for teams with the same record.

The team with the best record at the end of 12 rounds wins the prize. A bonus prize will be awarded to the team with the most points on the accuracy scale (could be the same team, but not necessarily).

The host/moderator has absolute final say in all matters pertaining to gameplay.

How's that sound?

Sounds good to me.

its such a good plan, I think you oughtta edit it and take out those references to bickering etc. Sure we've had some malcontents every time, but it reads as an attack on thiose few, while they should be ignored while we go about th ebusiness of a fun Grading Conbtest in spite of him, I mean them.

The format of Nikos' last contest is unbeatable.

Nevertheless, here's my pitch for a fun team contest:

Even number of three-man teams, randomly selected. Each team selects their own captain. (If players can't decide in a civilized fashion, then the whole team forfeits.)

Captain submits one grade each round, representing the entire team. (Allowing equal input from all members during grade deliberation is strongly encouraged. Any team that breaks down into petty infighting will be ejected.)

12 rounds exactly, no playoffs (unless sudden death is required to determine sole winner). All teams participate in all 12 rounds. All pairings are random.

Win-Loss-Tie records will be kept for each team. For the purposes of determining the best record: Wins are worth 2 points; Ties are worth 1; Losses, 0.

Additionally, the 4-point accuracy scoring system from the last contest will be used. This will serve as a tie-breaker for teams with the same record.

The team with the best record at the end of 12 rounds wins the prize. A bonus prize will be awarded to the team with the most points on the accuracy scale (could be the same team, but not necessarily).

The host/moderator has absolute final say in all matters pertaining to gameplay.

How's that sound?

If you have the time and the resources to run a grading contest you should do so with that format thumbsup2.gif

its such a good plan, I think you oughtta edit it and take out those references to bickering etc. Sure we've had some malcontents every time, but it reads as an attack on thiose few, while they should be ignored while we go about th ebusiness of a fun Grading Conbtest in spite of him, I mean them.

Aman, thanks for the feedback. I see what you're saying.

However, virtually every organized sport has some rules regarding player misconduct. Believe me, I'm not trying to single anyone out. It's just best to set some ground rules for behavior. Since the teaming will be random, there may be some personality conflicts that arise, but that's just part of the game. It will be up to each team to conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner.

However, virtually every organized sport has some rules regarding player misconduct. Believe me, I'm not trying to single anyone out. It's just best to set some ground rules for behavior. Since the teaming will be random, there may be some personality conflicts that arise, but that's just part of the game. It will be up to each team to conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner.

These are the kinds of things that have caused some of the problems in the past. Anything interpreted as subjective in judgement is a guaranteed post-war flame-war starter. Sure it will begin with some quesitons calrifying this or that rule (usually after the rule has been applied) or judgement, but then the nits start picking and before you know it you have a 25 page TOM (Thread Of Madness crazy.gif)

At times I think almost any comment on these boards has the potential to launch a 25-page flame war. I'm not sure what we can do about that. We can't live in fear of it, that's for sure.

But since the board itself is moderated in a fairly laissez-faire manner, I suppose contests must follow suit. The best we can do, it seems, is to nicely ask for everyone's best behavior, and let the chips fall where they may.

So I suggest these as 'guidelines', not 'rules':

Good-natured trash-talking aside, please treat all other players with respect.

Teammates, please base the selection of your captain not only on grading experience and skill, but also on maturity.

Captains, please give equal weight to your teammates' opinions, and engourage open discussion and debate amongst yourselves.

If a problem arises, please defer to the judgement of the host/moderator.

At times I think almost any comment on these boards has the potential to launch a 25-page flame war. I'm not sure what we can do about that. We can't live in fear of it, that's for sure.

But since the board itself is moderated in a fairly laissez-faire manner, I suppose contests must follow suit. The best we can do, it seems, is to nicely ask for everyone's best behavior, and let the chips fall where they may.

So I suggest these as 'guidelines', not 'rules':

Good-natured trash-talking aside, please treat all other players with respect.

Teammates, please base the selection of your captain not only on grading experience and skill, but also on maturity.

Captains, please give equal weight to your teammates' opinions, and engourage open discussion and debate amongst yourselves.

If a problem arises, please defer to the judgement of the host/moderator.

VG-plus - - I only suggested the editying because I liked your plan so much I wanted it to fly, and to make it as palatable as possible its better to just propose w/o the negativity. But I see where you are coming from. If the Contest chooses your format there will plenty of time to set the rules then....

VG-plus - - I only suggested the editying because I liked your plan so much I wanted it to fly, and to make it as palatable as possible its better to just propose w/o the negativity.

Aman, I appreciate it, and I totally understand where you're coming from. Your comments (and Pov's) made me realize that any thought of trying to referee or moderate the players' behavior in one of these contests is hopelessly idealistic.

Basically, you just have to get the basic game mechanics locked down tight, and hope for the best on everything else. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I will be voting for something completely different. So that certain posters can really excercise their big baby crying muscles, I think we should just have a big person_without_enough_empathyathalon. No grading, just non-stop whining like a little baby. The last one to stop whining wins!

sign-funnypost.gif27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif I wonder who would win (JC) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm going to wait for a contest that gives away free stuff to the winners for doing nothing but guessing the grade of a CGC comic. Oh, wait.....

thumbsup2.gif I think people (you know who you are) that forget that!

I'm all for a team contest. yay.gif

If anyone will have me. frown.gif

Norinn if you were the last guy unpicked, I would pick you. thumbsup2.gif

Wait a minute, that didn't sound as nice as I wanted it to. blush.gif

I'm all for a team contest. yay.gif

If anyone will have me. frown.gif

Norinn if you were the last guy unpicked, I would pick you. thumbsup2.gif

Wait a minute, that didn't sound as nice as I wanted it to. blush.gif

I was always the last guy picked. I can tell you were guy that went

"Oh come on! How come we always get stuck with the fat kid?" tongue.gifstooges.gif

I myself still prefer the Nikos everyman for themselves, even near the end most everyone is still playing because:

1) you are trying to learn and figure out how CGC grades

2) you truely don't want to be near the bottom

3) it's just plain fun

If teams were used I think you might want to try doing it the CGC way. Like CGC,, have 1 jr. grader and 2 senior graders. The jr. grader gives their grade to the seniors (with or without explanation) the 2 senior graders come up with the final grade. The next book the jr. grader becomes one of the sr. graders ,,,and you alternate through out the contest. (just a thought)