• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Contest Poll

What Format Should the Next Grading Contest Follow?  

126 members have voted

1. 1. What Format Should the Next Grading Contest Follow?

35 posts in this topic

Now that we have competed in two recent grading contests and all had a lot of fun, hopefully there will be intrepid board members who will continually step up to keep em coming. And now that we have experienced two widely different contest styles with their own rules and pitfalls, let's take a poll on what format the next one will (or should) have.... the final determination of course wil be up to the brave soul who volunteers to conduct it!!

I will be voting for something completely different. So that certain posters can really excercise their big baby crying muscles, I think we should just have a big person_without_enough_empathyathalon. No grading, just non-stop whining like a little baby. The last one to stop whining wins!

you know, when I set this thing up there was a default starting time.. so I foolishly assumed it was defaulting to that moment in time... not adelayed poll!! why would I delay it? sorry .. any ideas on how to fix that?

You should play too. You would fit right in, person_without_enough_empathying about the person_without_enough_empathying.

I'm not person_without_enough_empathying, I'm just commentating (in a snarky way) on the reality of those grading contests... Since I'm not taking part, whether or not people are person_without_enough_empathying doesn't really concern me, so there's no reason for me to b itch about it. Argue all day about byes or whatever for all I care. I pop in every once in a while and it seems like EVERY time there's some sort of running controversy. To be perfectly honest, it's sort of funny, so as an outsider I want wouldn't even mind more person_without_enough_empathying.

I will be voting for something completely different. So that certain posters can really excercise their big baby crying muscles, I think we should just have a big person_without_enough_empathyathalon. No grading, just non-stop whining like a little baby. The last one to stop whining wins!

Then JC could finally win a contest and not have to quit.

To be perfectly honest, it's sort of funny, so as an outsider I want wouldn't even mind more person_without_enough_empathying.

It might be funny for someone not participating, but it sucked a lot of the fun out of the last contest. I just wish people could b itch in moderation. 27_laughing.gif

Of course giving in to the whining ones only increases the continued high-pitched sounds. Sometimes if you let the wheel squeak long enough it will eventually break....fall off... and get left behind as the wagon is repaired with a better wheel. stooges.gif

I skipped comic_supply's contest(no special reason..just wanted a break) but checked in occasionally and saw the continued confusion with rules changes as the contest continued. I'll be voting for most any variation of the nikos "point system" + a contest that doesn't change the rules in mid-stream(but we're human, so should we just accept errors or changes are just part of it?)

You should play too. You would fit right in, person_without_enough_empathying about the person_without_enough_empathying.

There will always be some type of person_without_enough_empathying, I've tried to contain myself by going to the screaming room. My, and everyone elses person_without_enough_empathying if they are going to do that should be directed at the grade of the book or CGC for having given some of the ridiculous grades. Any person_without_enough_empathying about the rules after the fact, person_without_enough_empathying about the people who are running the contest, or directed at another person in the contest (maliciously) should be grounds for a 1 time warning, and if it happens again, they should be thrown out of the contest. That is just my 2 cents.

Then JC could finally win a contest and not have to quit.

What is that supposed to mean? I was playing right up until I was given a Bye. At that point, what choice did I have, as I had certainly made a statistical and personal statement that Byes are totally unfair. To accept one and continue in the contest would have been pretty bad form, especially given the negative response from the forum when I got the Bye.

And I couldn't care less who wins or loses a forum contest, but I certainly do not need any more Bye-induced hassle from the CGC peanut gallery.

Any person_without_enough_empathying about the rules after the fact....

A lot of people seem to have short-term memory problems, but I'll state it once again for the record:

The Bye format and how they'd be distributed, was NOT outlined prior to the contest starting. If they were, I probably would have saved us all a ton of arguing by not taking part in a contest like that.

Once the Byes were fully explained, should I have bit the bullet and just played anyway? Maybe, but the stats were just too damning for me, personally.

I would like to see a very simple grading contest. Cannot do it myself because I have a lack of slabbed books. But it would be very simple.

1) Everyong grades independently

2) If the grade is exactly on they advance to the next round. If the grade is not exactly on they are eliminated. No partial credit for anything.

3) Lather rinse and repeat until one remains.

There can be only one.

thats too harsh POV cause getting th egrades wxactly right is as much luck as skill since we are only grading scans.... P personally think the nikos format works out th ebest so far. Over time, the best graders come out on top as the partial points parallel the graders overall average grades.= by rewarding in increments. Im sure there are a few wrinkles to make it better, but I cant think of any...... The Belladonna match play was interesting, but the bye situation needs to be finessed better, as well as the problem with the ties

Wait - - I got a new wrinkle: Create smaller leagues like in pro sports.... like 12 or 15 in each bracket. Have a 'regular season' of 20 rounds. Then take the top two point scorers in each bracket and have these 8 winners compete in the playoffs for 5 books in the first round, then 5 rounds Semis, and 3 rounds for the title. This might be fun to compete in a smaller pool, then move on against other winners. The only problem I can foresee is only a few will be playing in the playoffs which will take weeks to finish, and thats really too long to be interesting for anyone BUT those still in the game......

thats too harsh POV cause getting th egrades wxactly right is as much luck as skill since we are only grading scans.... P personally think the nikos format works out th ebest so far.

I agree it is quite harsh but I bet there would be no bickering and tantrums and such!

wink.gif

I think any contest that keeps the most people involved grading right till the end is ultimately the best format. For instance......Niko's last contest was really good because everyone had a chance of some sort right up until the playoffs. I thought that Niko's March Madness wasn't as good because people got elimintated right from the start....no fun for them.

The recent CS/Bella contest actually is pretty good......I just think it needs some tweaking which should be expected from a new format.

NIkos' contest with Teams was also a lot fun.

Red

I would like to see a very simple grading contest. Cannot do it myself because I have a lack of slabbed books. But it would be very simple.

1) Everyong grades independently

2) If the grade is exactly on they advance to the next round. If the grade is not exactly on they are eliminated. No partial credit for anything.

3) Lather rinse and repeat until one remains.

There can be only one.

That contest would be over in a few rounds crazy.gif

But i see your point, a simple contest is needed next time, especially with the amount of pernickity people participating tonofbricks.gif

The format of Nikos' last contest is unbeatable.

Nevertheless, here's my pitch for a fun team contest:

Even number of three-man teams, randomly selected. Each team selects their own captain. (If players can't decide in a civilized fashion, then the whole team forfeits.)

Captain submits one grade each round, representing the entire team. (Allowing equal input from all members during grade deliberation is strongly encouraged. Any team that breaks down into petty infighting will be ejected.)

12 rounds exactly, no playoffs (unless sudden death is required to determine sole winner). All teams participate in all 12 rounds. All pairings are random.

Win-Loss-Tie records will be kept for each team. For the purposes of determining the best record: Wins are worth 2 points; Ties are worth 1; Losses, 0.

Additionally, the 4-point accuracy scoring system from the last contest will be used. This will serve as a tie-breaker for teams with the same record.

The team with the best record at the end of 12 rounds wins the prize. A bonus prize will be awarded to the team with the most points on the accuracy scale (could be the same team, but not necessarily).

The host/moderator has absolute final say in all matters pertaining to gameplay.

How's that sound?