• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman movie poster 1943

6 posts in this topic

Hello !!!!

I have this poster I had purchased many years back for my husbands batman collection . I bought it fromsome elder lady on  craigslist trying to raise money.

But I cant seem to find anything online about it or any information other than 1 auction site that sold one years ago . Maybe 1 other picture of this online??? 

I wanted to see if you have anyone can give me ANY  information on this or could possibly direct me in the right way. Here are pictures of it out of the frame and the back of the poster. This has been framed since i purchased it years ago.  They sold it to me in a frame so I just kept it in there . Its not the cleanest and has some creases,  Please if you have time and could get back to me at Johnston89@yahoo.com or on here. Here is what I found on the auction site this is the only information I can find on it I just find it weird how I cant find any other websites that have this poster. 

Hakes.com auction site has picture of this poster with this description 

11x14 stiff paper printed on front has wonderful image of Batman. In 1943 Columbia released both Batman & Phantom serials. Text at bottom reads “Keep Your Eyes Open For The Phantom. A Master Of Disguise, The Phantom May Be Eluding You Every Day. The Reward For The Phantom’s Capture Is Great”. Scattered lt. handling wear with a few lt. creases. Overall bright and clean. Fine. Rare. First we have seen in our 45 years. From the Saul Ferris Collection.

56A67DBE-9BF3-4D9F-B177-77648D689DF0.jpeg

B259A7B7-8CF3-4EDC-B975-604FF5B6D470.jpeg

What an interesting poster!

Does it say on the poster 1943? I know the Hakes auction link states this but how does one know unless it says it somewhere. Brief research shows that Columbia ran serials of both Batman and The Phantom in 1943. From what I can see, neither character met in each other's serials. Was this an error poster, with the wrong image on it? Not sure but if it is that old, it is definitely cool. Hopefully someone else sheds more light on this.

It dose not say the year on it at all I had just read it on that website . But they had a Batman movie serial named the phantom and that’s were I believe this is from but I honestly could not say iv been searching for some kind of information and what not but come up empty handed 

They did? I know they had a serial called "The Batman" in 1943. Cannot find any reference to it being called "The Phantom". The Phantom is an actual superhero character, and I was trying to find out if at any point, the two characters crossed over in their serials. That poster just seems bizarre saying "the Phantom" on it but showing a picture of Batman.

I did find this still image showing Batman and Phantom, presumably together in some episode. However, upon looking at the episode lists for both serials from this era, I cannot see any indication that a crossover happened. I had thought maybe this poster was advertising one of the serial episodes because, as I understand it, they were released weekly in theatres back in the 40's. So while the serial was 15 episodes or parts, together it told all one story.

Again, this is based on my limited googling skills.

b0dd343b71fe1ab729afcb9c8f9617ab.jpg

I found a comic book business that dose comic con and this is what he was able to tell me about it .....Hi Amanda, It seems like it is a rare promo poster for the Batman/Phantom serials they use to make in the early 1940's. They did a lot of live action short movies (serials) back then and showed them before a feature film in theaters I believe. This was probably used for promotion of the upcoming serials in the lobby where it would be shown. Very cool poster and probably only a handful survived over time!