• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isn't this a bit misleading?

29 posts in this topic

marvel feature 1 auction

O.K. I know this guy is a reputable seller but I don't understand why he doesn't have pics of his books? How many people do you think will assume that this is the Marvel Feature #1 that has the Defenders' first appearance as opposed to the Red Sonjia version that is worth far less? I think some already have, I can't see an $8 book even in CGC 9.8 being bid up so fast. I know it says 1975 in the title but without the picture there will be people that either overlook that or don't know the difference.

Anyone who dosen't know the difference shouldn't be bidding on the book.

And what rickdogg said. He's one of, if not the BEST on ebay, as a buyer and seller.

It's not necessarily not knowing the difference since as you can see Bonds bid on it and we know he knows the difference. Not everyone pays attention to every little thing written in the title. Also there are new people in this hobby that wouldn't know the difference, why should they not be bidding in your opinion. You were new to this hobby at one point too and I'm sure you didn't always know the difference. That's a very arrogant attitude IMO. What, the unwashed masses aren't good enough to bid because they don't know what year(difference of only 4) each copy came out in? I'm not slamming the guy, just wondering why there were no pictures. My question was answered, I'm sure he's not INTENTIONALLY trying to mislead people however it IS misleading.

Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't even pay attention, and I am high bidder. I just emailed him and asked him to retract my bid!

Lucky for you....since I was going to hit you up with some "punishment bids"... blush.gif

You actually don't have to contact the seller to retract your bid...just go HERE and you can do it yourself... wink.gif

I agree with you there FD....I have bought a couple of books from him and found him to be a great dealer in quality stuff...He has been metioned a few times in the forums....always with glowing praise...

He even visits the boards from time to time.....

I have asked him for scan requests multiple times (I guess before he puts them up) and NEVER got a response from him (even a little note telling me the scan is coming) so therefore, I won't be bidding on any of his books

His communication skills seem to be a little lacking but I think that is attributed to his being overworked as he sells under differant eBay accounts and I believe his volume of sales is quite astounding....

I suggest giving him the benifit of the doubt...especially if ti is a book that you really want...

I do the bulk of my business with this guy. He truly gets swamped with the amount that he does. Give him the benefit of the doubt. He really does get some outstanding books and really looks after his customers.

Also there are new people in this hobby that wouldn't know the difference, why should they not be bidding in your opinion

That's a very arrogant attitude IMO. What, the unwashed masses aren't good enough to bid because they don't know what year(difference of only 4) each copy came out in?

Buddy, relax. All I meant was that if you're not sure what you're bidding on, you should probably check things out before buying a CGC 9.8(expensive or not, it dosen't matter) copy. Also, I would think a new comer SHOULD read "every little thing in the title", and so should ANYONE buying on ebay, esperienced or not.It's just foolish to do otherwise. And if a person is a little unclear, there's an "ask seller a question" link which has been placed there just for that.

Keep in mind that speech tones cannot be expressed in writing, so try clarifying next time before you blow a gasket.

I understand what you guys are saying but how does that help me as the customer if he never responds to my e-mails? It sounds like he is in dire need of some hired help (which is a good thing!) Anyone suggest that to him?

Actually he "had" help until recently with posting and scanning... because, as a few mentioned, he does incredible volume and needs it if he would like to sleep. The man is always on the move and seldom rests and is understandably slower to answer emails sometimes. His help left a while back and his Wife (who has enough to do with the yungin') is now pitching in until a competent replacement can be hired... (not easy to find someone who cares enough to pay attention to a monotonous job like posting and scanning all day)

I called him directly yesterday about the scan myself... I knew it was not Volume 1... but still wanted one as I collect all the 9.8's of the 2nd, 3rd tier books. I wanted to get the "skinny" on how this book was centered, etc. I mentioned to him that I too thought the "scan posting lag" was taking longer than usual and that it was probably hurting him. That's when he mentioned the loss of his employee. I think he got the scans up soon after because it was there when I checked later.

I suggest giving him the benefit of the doubt also... of course you wouldn't know all this otherwise, and its more than understandable to be frustrated as it appears that you're getting a sub par performance and that he does not value your business enough to respond... but he does... he's just overwhelmed. I'd vouch for Steve any day... and there's a couple of threads here in which many give him props in case anyone on this thread is totally unfamiliar with him.

I'm not sure if he inputted that particular auction... but 1975 was put in for clarification. I agree it was STILL not clear enough without the addition of a scan. I suggested that the volume number would be far more useful than the date even prior to your post.. (we're on the same page) . I'm sure he'll make note for next time.

I'd give him another chance... he's the type of dealer that works with you and tries to give excellent service grin.gif

I'd give him another chance... he's the type of dealer that works with you and tries to give excellent service

I agree...I've bought from him on many occasions and I've always found him to be one of the straightest shooters out there. I'm sure any confusion regarding the MF #1 auction was purely due to his busy schedule and not any intent to mislead.

Gene

for clarification purposes, please note that I am NOT talking about Marvel Feature 1. I have no opinion about that book. I e-mailed a request on a totally different book (I think it was FF 116 CGC 8.5). I understand his situatuion a lot better now. Too bad you guys aren't around to vouch for everybody. It's just frustrating sometimes to ask for a (larger) scan and not get any response.

Peter

Hey Peter,

I've felt the same way more than once with dealers I didn't know. I know where you're coming from and again I think you have every right to question what you perceive is poor service... I don't like it myself, no one does. I went through something 10X worse recently with the The Vault if you reference that thread... talk about an exercise in frustration! Read that and you might feel a little better grin.gif

Anyway, the reality is... is some of these full-time dealers are in a constant state of motion. Some set aside certain time slots to do certain tasks to maximize efficiency.

I've noticed that they seem to be slow to respond (or lose track) when asked to do something additional. It sucks, I know... but hopefully they make up for it in other ways.

I usually try a few times before I get to the point you're at where you don't want to buy from them. That said, if you don't get a reply on an important matter... don't bid and let them know you won't if your question is not answered... they may get their attention.

WARNING WARNING WARNING THREAD HIJACK ALERT WARNING WARNING WARNING

Bruce - Mrs. Donut is rolling on the floor laughing at your avatar. She's all grumpy and , so you've put a smile on her face!

BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD.....