• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submission criteria

4 posts in this topic

I am a little confused. If I understand correctly the cost of grading a modern (1975+) book costs $16. Do I have that much correct?

So, if that is the case, I have no reason to submit any books that I think might possibly be worth less than the rate thats being charged to grade the book.

What criteria should I base my decision on submission of any given book?

I may be way off base but it seems a bit pricy and bit of a gamble for the average collector. Unless I have gravely mistaken my own status in the comic collecting world. Are the majority of submission silver age or better and of significant importance?

I have managed to accrue several runs of some 70's titles and Im thinking of having them graded but Im not sure of the value of having it done. Can anyone enlighten me some based on their own experience or expertise?

I am a little confused. If I understand correctly the cost of grading a modern (1975+) book costs $16. Do I have that much correct?

You can get a 20% discount. Check out Heritage Comics...

So, if that is the case, I have no reason to submit any books that I think might possibly be worth less than the rate thats being charged to grade the book.

One person's rationale for grading may be different. You are correct if you are in the selling/profit mode.

What criteria should I base my decision on submission of any given book?

High grade....learn to grade...watch the threads...and learn.

I may be way off base but it seems a bit pricy and bit of a gamble for the average collector. Unless I have gravely mistaken my own status in the comic collecting world. Are the majority of submission silver age or better and of significant importance?

I would try the waters with just a few books, to get a feel for your grading and how CGC judges your grading. Take it from there.

I have managed to accrue several runs of some 70's titles and Im thinking of having them graded but Im not sure of the value of having it done. Can anyone enlighten me some based on their own experience or expertise?

See above comment. Ascertain your comic's grade, and use Overstreet PG as a tool to determine if it can be cost justified to get certified.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS....

That pretty much sums it up. GRADE is everything. Try your hand at posting a few scans of your killer comics to get the boards opinion on your comic. If you don't have a scanner that'll only be a hindrance to selling those graded comics.

Welcome to the Boards

>> I would try the waters with just a few books, to get a feel for your

>> grading and how CGC judges your grading.

That's good advice. For example, you might try sending in your 5 or 6 "best"

books, and see what CGC grades them as. For moderns, there are a few

exceptions, but anything less than a 9.6 or 9.8 was a waste of money to have

graded.

Also use the ebay past auction records to see what books are selling for.

Of course, this is all assuming that you're doing this to sell your books -- if you're

slabbing books for other reasons (to preserve them, sentiment), then there are no

real quidelines -- slab what you like.

gozer

----------------------

May the best man win. The mating call of the loser!