• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overstreet #49 - All covers have been revealed
2 2

67 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2019 at 11:47 PM, TwoPiece said:

This was my reaction...

What is the point..?

to get people to buy more than one copy of the same thing lol just like modern variants. never really been into the variant thing I touched my toe in that but realized quickly what the heck am I doing paying 50$ for a different cover book.

Just now, Krishosein said:

to get people to buy more than one copy of the same thing lol just like modern variants. never really been into the variant thing I touched my toe in that but realized quickly what the heck am I doing paying 50$ for a different cover book.

But OSPG doesn't have artwork inside...

On 5/3/2019 at 4:08 PM, Ant-Man said:

The Hall of Fame edition

CBPG_49_Zorro.jpg

This sort of reminds me of John Carter from Mars Edgar Rice Burroughs/ Frank Frazetta covers just more cartoonish.

4 hours ago, mrc said:

My first OSPG,

ovpg1.jpg

3 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

That was my first too.  Still have it somewhere.....

I'm in that club as well. Still have it but many of the pages are no longer attached to the binding.

2 minutes ago, bc said:

I'm in that club as well. Still have it but many of the pages are no longer attached to the binding.

1982 copies were very badly bound. The glue was substantially subpar, and dried out, leaving many copies losing chunks of pages all over the place. None of the three I have are intact anymore.

7 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

1982 copies were very badly bound. The glue was substantially subpar, and dried out, leaving many copies losing chunks of pages all over the place. None of the three I have are intact anymore.

Thanks for the info. My OSPGs 13 thru 24 were as badly abused as that one and still have all the pages intact.

Well, now that we've voiced our negative opinions on the exterior covers of this year's edition of the guide, maybe we should take a stab at the interior contents.  

I still remember back in the day before the internet and the ease of information with social media, the first thing I would look at was his annual market report which he used to write.  Definitely not the case anymore as it was reduced down to only a few paragraphs over the years and then simply backfilled with excerpts from the various market reports from his advisors.  Noticed last year that he even cut this further down by going straight to the excerpts right off the bat from the second sentence in his report.  :p

Although both of these books have cooled off a bit recently, I imagine both AF 15 and Hulk 181 should rightfully be the top percentage gainers for 2018 for the SA and BA respectively.  Of course, since both of these books already have a relatively high absolute dollar value, you never really know with Overstreet.  Looks like the 2018 guide's biggest percentage gainers were Action 242 and TTA 13 for the Silver Age and HOS 92 and Scooby Doo 1 for the Bronze Age.

No idea which book(s) will or should come out on top from a GA percentage point of view.  Looks like the past couple of years it has been the Wonder Woman trio of books, but I believe these have probably run their course by now.  Maybe we'll go back to the pre-Robin 'Tec's like 'Tec 31 or early Action's like Action 13 which were the highest percentage gainers for quite a few years prior to the Wonder Woman trio.  Or maybe we'll finally see some belated, but much deserved movement in some of the classic cover books, with the percursor being the All-American 61 with the classic Solomon Grundy cover which took a jump of 26% to move into Overstreet's Top 100 List last year.  hm

I guess we'll find out in less than a week from now.  :taptaptap:

On 7/10/2019 at 8:11 AM, musicmeta said:

I've got OSPG #2-up and an abbreviated edition of the first one.   I buy it every year but may stop after #50 comes out. 

I’m complete from 3 up, and I’m thinking the same thing. My shelves will only accommodate a few more books. Gonna shut it down at 50.

29 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:
On 7/10/2019 at 6:11 AM, musicmeta said:

I've got OSPG #2-up and an abbreviated edition of the first one.   I buy it every year but may stop after #50 comes out. 

I’m complete from 3 up, and I’m thinking the same thing. My shelves will only accommodate a few more books. Gonna shut it down at 50.

:idea:  Or you could simply look at trying to buy a bigger bookcase to hold them all.  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:
3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

:idea:  Or you could simply look at trying to buy a bigger bookcase to hold them all.  (thumbsu

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

That’s just crazy talk.

well, I just got off the phone with Bob himself, and he said that what you are saying is not only crazy talk, but also sacrilege.  (tsk)

He suggested that you should not only get yourself a bigger bookcase so that you can continue to buy his price guides going forward, but that you should in fact get yourself a much much larger bookcase so that you can go back and buy up all of the variant copies also.  :bigsmile:

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

well, I just got off the phone with Bob himself, and he said that what you are saying is not only crazy talk, but also sacrilege.  (tsk)

He suggested that you should not only get yourself a bigger bookcase so that you can continue to buy his price guides going forward, but that you should in fact get yourself a much much larger bookcase so that you can go back and buy up all of the variant copies also.  :bigsmile:

:cry:

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, now that we've voiced our negative opinions on the exterior covers of this year's edition of the guide, maybe we should take a stab at the interior contents.  

I still remember back in the day before the internet and the ease of information with social media, the first thing I would look at was his annual market report which he used to write.  Definitely not the case anymore as it was reduced down to only a few paragraphs over the years and then simply backfilled with excerpts from the various market reports from his advisors.  Noticed last year that he even cut this further down by going straight to the excerpts right off the bat from the second sentence in his report.  :p

Although both of these books have cooled off a bit recently, I imagine both AF 15 and Hulk 181 should rightfully be the top percentage gainers for 2018 for the SA and BA respectively.  Of course, since both of these books already have a relatively high absolute dollar value, you never really know with Overstreet.  Looks like the 2018 guide's biggest percentage gainers were Action 242 and TTA 13 for the Silver Age and HOS 92 and Scooby Doo 1 for the Bronze Age.

No idea which book(s) will or should come out on top from a GA percentage point of view.  Looks like the past couple of years it has been the Wonder Woman trio of books, but I believe these have probably run their course by now.  Maybe we'll go back to the pre-Robin 'Tec's like 'Tec 31 or early Action's like Action 13 which were the highest percentage gainers for quite a few years prior to the Wonder Woman trio.  Or maybe we'll finally see some belated, but much deserved movement in some of the classic cover books, with the percursor being the All-American 61 with the classic Solomon Grundy cover which took a jump of 26% to move into Overstreet's Top 100 List last year.  hm

I guess we'll find out in less than a week from now.  :taptaptap:

I  didn't by last years, on account of the fact I buy one every 2 years. Fantastic Four made a huge run up in Silver Age, but I think (from what I can remember) it wasn't reflected in last year's book. I'm hoping it will show the increase this year and if so, may be the winner as far as percentages go. But like you said, you never know.

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, ok. If Bob says so.

12 hours ago, ninanina said:

I  didn't by last years, on account of the fact I buy one every 2 years. Fantastic Four made a huge run up in Silver Age, but I think (from what I can remember) it wasn't reflected in last year's book. I'm hoping it will show the increase this year and if so, may be the winner as far as percentages go. But like you said, you never know.

I believe you are giving Overstreet more credit than he actually deserves here in terms of his pricing updates. lol

Since he's at least a full year behind as this year's edition will be based upon a "smoothing average" incorporating last year's market results, I don't think you'll see the impact of the FF movement until next year's edition in 2020.  After all, I believe the run up on the FF books did not start until the latter part of 2018 and into 2019, whereas his guide is supposedly takes into account what happened in all of 2018.  hm

Take a look at the huge runup in the AF 15 prices over the past couple of years and he bumped up his top of guide valuation by only 7% for this book in his 2018 edition of the guide.  Interesting to note that he bumped up FF 1 by 14% or twice as much, so I guess you never really know with Overstreet.  (shrug)