• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the CGC grade: Fight Comics #52...

20 posts in this topic

This is a great looking book and I don't think the sticker should hurt the grade much, if at all. However, it scares me that CGC is getting lenient again. Nobody guessed higher than 4.5 and CGC gives it a 5.5. IMO, a 5.5 is simply too generous, mostly because of the severity of the foxing. I just hope non of that is mold. 

Yeah, the optics on this one are a bit rough. I would have gone 4.5 as well.

I’m not someone who routinely busts on CGC’s grading—I think 95%+ of the time it’s consistent, smart and I can see the logic even if I might disagree with it. With effort I can guess that this is an unusual combination of a super nice book to begin with and a couple of grading ‘loopholes’ rolled into one—a lot of foxing which seems to get a partial pass from them, and a sticker which apparently isn’t dinged as hard as a tape pull or whatever. It’s still surprising though.  (shrug)

IMHO it should be a qualified grade. I don't have much argument with the grade absent the sticker, though I'd lean towards 5.0, but the sticker itself is nearly as much an eyesore as the pull that would likely result in attempting to remove it.