• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
7 7

547 posts in this topic

Not great. Last episode was one of the worst. Poor writing. So many dumb things I can't keep track. But the fights were decent. The stranger is kind of cool. I don't think they should have this writer to continue to do Star Wars anymore.

Finished the series last night and it was not a good ending.  Personalities switching all over the place and the acting kept getting worse and worse.  I don't know if I should feel disappointed or just confused by how it couldn't get better rather than worse as it went on.  I'd give the whole thing a D+ and would not recommend it to anyone.

I wasn't overly disappointed with the show, but there were a lot of problems/concerns with this $180M production.

Jodie Turner-Smith played Osha and Mae's mother and did a phenomenal job for what she was given.  Her death was the most disappointing as I would have liked more backstory (limited time to do so, I get it).

Shocked at how limited Amandla Stenberg's acting was but that's absolutely a byproduct of script and direction as I've seen some of her previous work.  I'm a big fan of Stranger Comics and know that she co-wrote Niobe: She is Life #1.

Now that I'm typing this out, it hit me that there were so few moments that actually felt 'good' in this show.  Not in a jovial, humorous way, but in a satisfying a-ha! or wow! kind of way that most Star Wars shows/movies seem to have.  The scenery stayed the exact same monotonous tone (forest/ships/coven/water) through the entire 8-episode arc.

Sol and Qimir were good.  Rwoh, Indara, Torbin, Kelnacca, Jecki and everyone else were meh.  As stated above for Amandla, the script and direction were my biggest issues (which just happens to be the most important parts of a series/movie).  Because these were adequate, it showed in the acting. 

Also, why the he!! did the little otter sabotage Sol's ship?  That character served no purpose but to cause confusion for me.  Bah!

I'd watch a season 2 but only because I'm a Star Wars fan.  No more chanting or trying to change what the Force is - that was stupid (my harshest remarks).

On 7/18/2024 at 11:18 AM, Pittsburgh said:

I wasn't overly disappointed with the show, but there were a lot of problems/concerns with this $180M production.

Jodie Turner-Smith played Osha and Mae's mother and did a phenomenal job for what she was given.  Her death was the most disappointing as I would have liked more backstory (limited time to do so, I get it).

Shocked at how limited Amandla Stenberg's acting was but that's absolutely a byproduct of script and direction as I've seen some of her previous work.  I'm a big fan of Stranger Comics and know that she co-wrote Niobe: She is Life #1.

Now that I'm typing this out, it hit me that there were so few moments that actually felt 'good' in this show.  Not in a jovial, humorous way, but in a satisfying a-ha! or wow! kind of way that most Star Wars shows/movies seem to have.  The scenery stayed the exact same monotonous tone (forest/ships/coven/water) through the entire 8-episode arc.

Sol and Qimir were good.  Rwoh, Indara, Torbin, Kelnacca, Jecki and everyone else were meh.  As stated above for Amandla, the script and direction were my biggest issues (which just happens to be the most important parts of a series/movie).  Because these were adequate, it showed in the acting. 

Also, why the he!! did the little otter sabotage Sol's ship?  That character served no purpose but to cause confusion for me.  Bah!

I'd watch a season 2 but only because I'm a Star Wars fan.  No more chanting or trying to change what the Force is - that was stupid (my harshest remarks).

A big thing was the wrap up for the main plot, how Sol was handled, and how that led to the resolution on Osha's story. When Sol kills the mother, it does not come across as an advertly evil or malicious act. At that point they are fighting the coven, and she transforms into a mist creature.  In a fight, this could easily be seen as an aggressive act, it looked like she was attacking her daughter, and your opponent, Sol, will act accordingly.  Also, how does the lightsaber hurt mist? Why did she materialize around the lightsaber, and notnjust drift to the side? So, Sol killing her was accidental. Yes, he should have been more honest. There was literally nothing for the Jedi to cover up here. Therefor, Osha killing Sol is not justified, and is an evil act. Yet, the writers imply she did something good and justified. Not a good lesson or look for the story.

On 7/19/2024 at 8:00 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Screenshot_20240719_155338_Facebook.jpg

Crystal bleeding was made canon after the prequels came out. 2016/2017?

Pretty awesome addition to the lore.

"Vader got his red lightsaber immediately after Revenge of the Sith, and he took Master Kirak Infi'la's green Kyber crystal. Afterwards, he poured all of his rage and emotions into the crystal and caused it to bleed."

Edited by I like pie

On 7/19/2024 at 9:00 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Screenshot_20240719_155338_Facebook.jpg

So over the years they have done this before.   I remember saying WTF to this years ago when they did it.  It is called "bleeding" a Kyber crystal.   It was in Darth Vader 1.  (Really good comic book series btw)

After Mustafar, Anakin / Vader becomes Palpatine's apprentice so Vader was tasked to kill a jedi without a weapon since his lightsaber had been taken by Obi Wan.  (Sound familiar?). Vader hunts a Jedi down and kills him without using a weapon and then recovers that Jedi's lightsaber as his own.  Palpatine then shows Vader how to pour all of his hate and rage into the lightsaber as an extension of himself and Vader turns the blade to red.  

And that kids is how I met your mother how Vader got a red lightsaber.  It is called bleeding a Kyber crystal. 

On 7/19/2024 at 10:38 PM, I like pie said:

Crystal bleeding was made canon after the prequels came out. 2016/2017?

Pretty awesome addition to the lore.

"Vader got his red lightsaber immediately after Revenge of the Sith, and he took Master Kirak Infi'la's green Kyber crystal. Afterwards, he poured all of his rage and emotions into the crystal and caused it to bleed."

Yup, I responded the same and just read your comment now. 

Many complain about things that they have been doing for years.

I laughed when they complained about Leia using Jedi powers to get back into a spaceship in the middle of space.  Anyone who had watched Rebels knew that this had been done before with Kanan also almost dying in the process. 

Hey, shrug... overall I enjoyed the series and would watch a season 2.   A lot of the complaints I have seen about it are regurgitated of many of the same complaints that people have had with various areas of Star Wars since 1999. 

The rotten tomato score went up 4 percent in the past few days. It's good to see some people actually wait until a series is over to review it.

Not counting the bot reviews, I wonder what the score would look like if they released all episodes at once. Many of the things people were crying about early on, were explained by the end.