• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: THE ACOLYTE (2023?)
7 7

547 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2024 at 8:37 AM, Buzzetta said:

Yup, I responded the same and just read your comment now. 

Many complain about things that they have been doing for years.

I laughed when they complained about Leia using Jedi powers to get back into a spaceship in the middle of space.  Anyone who had watched Rebels knew that this had been done before with Kanan also almost dying in the process. 

Yeah, many of the YouTubers angry about this show don’t really know much about Star Wars TBH. Got to get those clicks and views, though. 

I binged this over the weekend and it was pretty much what I expected and what many have already voiced. Poor scripting, inconsistent acting, uneven narrative... but great fight choreography and force usage. Like most new star wars it suffers from obscure lore issues meant to reward those who know it but always has the opposite effect to the majority of "fans" that have not read every comic or cartoon series. For instance I don't read any of the SW comics and even when explained to me I thought "crystal bleeding" was dumb and a very overly abstruse way to just say corruption.

It isn't as bad as it was reviewed but I wouldn't give it more than 6/10; if a season 2 is made I would only watch once it is finished airing.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:04 AM, DougC said:

It isn't as bad as it was reviewed but I wouldn't give it more than 6/10; if a season 2 is made I would only watch once it is finished airing.

It's more likely to do a Willow at this point.   It will be pulled from the streaming platform soon enough.

$180 million down the craper

While they are abandoning it, I would still like to see them revisit the concept and the events leading to Palpatine becoming a Sith. 

I'm not going to dump on this show even though I don't think it was very good.  There are lots of bad shows.

HOWEVER, the SW fanbase can be pretty harsh.  It didn't help that there were a lot of YouTubers who (successfully) jumped on the pile to get clicks and views that exacerbated the situation.  Add on that the political spin of waken Culture, Cancel Culture, Culture Club, and whatever other Culture.

***I'm sad to see it not get a second season for the simple fact that it feels like one side won and one side loss

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Keeps changing my "waken" to "Waken"

On 8/19/2024 at 10:11 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

W + O + K + E...isn't an acceptable word on this forum?

***Strange

Many things are unacceptable in this new world. It hurts people's feelings. 

On 8/19/2024 at 10:11 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

W + O + K + E...isn't an acceptable word on this forum?

***Strange

People continued to use the word to associate it with their political agenda and online arguments arose extending into real life situations.  So... it was banned. 

Yet, regardless of permission of the forum I will continue to use it at the root to which it was intended.  Such as, "Last night I woke up to my alarms going off due to emergency alerts about area flooding and went downstairs to find water in my utility room."  (True story and after 24 hours all is supposedly dry.  For some reason I get water coming up through the concrete in the rains we had last night.). 

I got around 3.5" of rain over the course of an hour or two.   

Now imagine if you woke up to over 9" of rain like my friend did with water running through his area and his home like it was a river. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/long-island-storm-damage/

I'll make a thread in the water cooler.   There are a lot of us on the boards that live in around here.  

On 8/19/2024 at 10:10 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I'm not going to dump on this show even though I don't think it was very good.  There are lots of bad shows.

HOWEVER, the SW fanbase can be pretty harsh.  It didn't help that there were a lot of YouTubers who (successfully) jumped on the pile to get clicks and views that exacerbated the situation.  Add on that the political spin of waken Culture, Cancel Culture, Culture Club, and whatever other Culture.

***I'm sad to see it not get a second season for the simple fact that it feels like one side won and one side loss

Many of these Star Wars fans are the worst.   The issue is that that Star Wars, as Lucas says it, was originally made for kids.   It's a fairy tale adventure set in space.   These kids grew up and cling to their childhood memories and then they looked at everything differently as adults when the prequels came out.  "That's not Star Wars".   Now the kids that grew up with that as their first Star Wars stories have elevated it and poop all over the sequels because, "That's not Star Wars." and so on.

Here... here is the long answer with links to what Lucas said in a previous post I made here rather than write it all out again. 

On 8/20/2024 at 12:10 PM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

HOWEVER, the SW fanbase can be pretty harsh.

Thats a fiction propagate by the paid-for media writing about Disney.

If you go look on rebelscum.com they were very amongst the happily deluded.   The simplistic characterisations, and constantly self contradicting story line was of incidental consequence for them.

Then there were those fan's not happy with having Lucas's legacy destroyed by Harvey Weisteins assistant.    They were genuinely upset with the what had been produced.   And the the YouTube media had almost endless material to speak about as each episode turned into an ongoing train wreck.

On 8/20/2024 at 2:16 AM, Microchip said:

Thats a fiction propagate by the paid-for media writing about Disney.

If you go look on rebelscum.com they were very amongst the happily deluded.   The simplistic characterisations, and constantly self contradicting story line was of incidental consequence for them.

Then there were those fan's not happy with having Lucas's legacy destroyed by Harvey Weisteins assistant.    They were genuinely upset with the what had been produced.   And the the YouTube media had almost endless material to speak about as each episode turned into an ongoing train wreck.

Oh no.  Absolutely disagree.  The Star Wars fanbase has been toxic since 1999.   Many of them, not all, but many of them have this self imagined sense of what "Star Wars is" or "should be" as if they own the property.  Go back twenty five years and what they did do Ahmed Best, Jake Lloyd, and many others is still mortifying.   Meanwhile I know adults who were the target audience for Phantom Menace that look at characters like Jar Jar Binks with a nostalgic smile.   Hayden Christianson and Ahmed Best are being appreciated after being maligned for many years. 

On 8/20/2024 at 2:16 AM, Microchip said:

I will add one thing.  You are right that Rebelscum is happily deluded.  I rarely see any constructive criticism from them.  Everything is "great" to the point that it is nauseating.  However, the opposite to that is JediTempleArchives.  Excellent updates when it comes to news, but the guy that runs it along with a few others need a few hugs or something.  Too often are figure or merchandise reviews peppered with his political nonsense or based on whether or not he liked the source material.  It's like, "Buddy, keep your nonsense to yourself, I just want to know if Chopper's arms can be detached without breaking them on the 3.75" Vintage Collection figure."  

On 8/20/2024 at 4:20 PM, Buzzetta said:

Oh no.  Absolutely disagree.  The Star Wars fanbase has been toxic since 1999.   Many of them, not all, but many of them have this self imagined sense of what "Star Wars is" or "should be" as if they own the property.  Go back twenty five years and what they did do Ahmed Best, Jake Lloyd, and many others is still mortifying.   Meanwhile I know adults who were the target audience for Phantom Menace that look at characters like Jar Jar Binks with a nostalgic smile.   Hayden Christianson and Ahmed Best are being appreciated after being maligned for many years. 

There's other issues here as well.   Denying the existence of the Dark Horse books, and characters etc.  Then the studio writers have borrowed material from them, with no acknowledgement, and taken full credit for their 'creativity'.   The fan's that have followed things through have a lot to take umbrage with.

The Hollywood machine is working to an agenda that isn't aligned to the material.    This is a long established lineage of fan patronage.   We see it with Lord of the Rings as well.   These franchises come with well established IP, that self-aggrandising studio executives are happy to disregard.   

On 8/20/2024 at 4:20 PM, Buzzetta said:

Hayden Christianson and Ahmed Best are being appreciated after being maligned for many years. 

I personally thought the criticism of Hayden was harsh at the start.   Though the standards of the past have eroded downwards.   He looks positively Shakespearean by todays mark.