• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

August HA Auction
1 1

502 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

OMFG, who cares if Peanuts came first?!? Calvin and Hobbes IS the superior strip.

C&H was fantastic from it's first strip to its last.  Peanuts, not so much.  I think early Peanuts is BRILLIANT.  But put a gun to my head as to which strip I'd want to own an original of, and it's C&H all day long.

21 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

C&H was fantastic from it's first strip to its last.  Peanuts, not so much.  I think early Peanuts is BRILLIANT.  But put a gun to my head as to which strip I'd want to own an original of, and it's C&H all day long.

Well Watterson shut it down after 10 years.

Schulz lapped the decade mark 5 times. 

So I don't really judge Peanuts as a whole by its quality at the end given how long of a run it was. It had reached legendary status 30 years before the last original strip ran. 

Edited by comix4fun

42 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I’m a Peanut-nut and I would take a Calvin and Hobbs over a Peanuts (mostly because they are way rarer and very cool).

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

lol

This thread is a laugh-fest today! 

I am to please.  I actually dont know if people would consider those two pieces good or bad, I like them but I will acknowledge I have very odd taste 

31 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I’m a Peanut-nut and I would take a Calvin and Hobbs over a Peanuts (mostly because they are way rarer and very cool).

Ehh.  Sellout.    

If someone is offered a C+H with a market value of 100k vs a peanuts worth 20k, obviously absolutely everyone is going to pick the C+H because the value is so disparate.

But I'd take 100k in Peanuts art over 100k in C+H art any day.

23 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Quality for Quality, Sunday for Sunday....I'm taking this Peanuts Sunday over any other strip by any other artist from any other era. It's not even close.

239770966_PeanutsSundayComics.thumb.jpeg.a30b9160caeaddaa269db5ebcbc8225a.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Ehh.  Sellout.    

If someone is offered a C+H with a market value of 100k vs a peanuts worth 20k, obviously absolutely everyone is going to pick the C+H because the value is so disparate.

Let’s look at the flip side...

what if someone offered you a C&H with a market value of $20K vs a Peanuts worth $100K?

Just now, jjonahjameson11 said:

There are several Raymond pieces I would take over this Peanuts strip any day, every day, and twice on Sundays 

Lots of Raymond's are beautiful, but don't do anything for me on a personal level. 

40 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Lots of Raymond's are beautiful, but don't do anything for me on a personal level. 

40 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I don't know about Chris, but there are some Dale Arden in chains panels that do something to me on a personal level!

Just now, pinupcartooncollector said:

I don't know about Chris, but there are some Dale Arden in chains panels that do something to me on a personal level!

schwing.gif.45ab261f0dc169cb348a4dae993930e6.gif

53 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Quality for Quality, Sunday for Sunday....I'm taking this Peanuts Sunday over any other strip by any other artist from any other era. It's not even close.

239770966_PeanutsSundayComics.thumb.jpeg.a30b9160caeaddaa269db5ebcbc8225a.jpeg

You are 100% correct, content really matters and it would ultimately come down to which Calvin and Hobbs versus which Peanuts strip.  The one you posted I would say is in the top ten of Peanuts strips.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Ehh.  Sellout.    

lol  I love C&H almost as much as Peanuts but given how scares C&H is, I would love to have one.  A Peanuts could be purchased at a later date much easier.  

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

lol  I love C&H almost as much as Peanuts but given how scares C&H is, I would love to have one.  A Peanuts could be purchased at a later date much easier.  

P-Nutz has sold out to the establishment and will now be know as C-Nutz. 

Or maybe C-Deze-Nutz.

1 minute ago, batman_fan said:

There is NO WAY I am using that to refer to myself !

NO problem, no one is asking you to do that.

We will do it for you, C-Nutz! :insane:

4 hours ago, comix4fun said:

So I don't really judge Peanuts as a whole by its quality at the end given how long of a run it was. It had reached legendary status 30 years before the last original strip ran. 

Meanwhile, you can get Pogo originals cheap.

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

Ehh.  Sellout.    

I agree with this. I’ve had around 15 original Schulz strips and am thrilled paying 20-30k for a nice daily.  A 100k Schulz would be a legendary level Sunday and would be a legendary level daily Watterson. I’ll take the Peanuts top notch Sunday. 

The best I’ve been able to do with Watterson is a little signed Hobbes sketch. 

Peanuts has a ton of connection points for people 40 on a worldwide scale. It would be interesting to do a study worldwide on the recognizability of Mickey Mouse (the likely winner), Snoopy, Spider-Man, Batman and Superman.  I don’t think Snoopy would come in last. 

10 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Oh for sure.  I give Watterson a lot of credit for ending his strip before it got stale and bankrupt of new ideas.  Schulz had longevity, and truth be told he should have pulled the plug before he did.  I was basically comparing the first 10-15 years of Peanuts to the full run of C&H.  I give the nod to C&H by a nose.