• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Confirmed Glitch in the eBay System - Just a Heads Up

5 posts in this topic

After a back and forth between eBay and PayPal with PayPal intervening once again on my behalf eBay actually admitted that there was a problem with their system and that it had occurred to others... so... here are the basic facts and in the sequence of events. 

Was checking my email at work.

• I see an email that I sold a Funko Pop for $22.22 + shipping 
  • I see a second email that I sold the same Funko Pop for $22.22 + shipping. 
  • I check my iPhone alerts and note that there has been no notification of a sale. 
  • I check my eBay listing and notice that I still have both items for sale. (This was for a Funko Pop that I had two of) 
  • I call eBay to see what's what and they say that the problem is on my end. That doesn't make sense. 
  • I log into PayPal and note that both payments were received.  However one item was refunded. 
  • PayPal automatically says I have to ship out the item.
  • I call PayPal and they confirm that the listing is still present on eBay and the eBay has no confirmation of the sale. 
  • PayPal Rep guides me through what to ask and say.  eBay confirms that their system processed a sale but now has no record of it due to a glitch. So I am not being charged fees. 
  • eBay calls it basically a Phantom Sale... here is the kicker... I am not under any obligation to do anything because there is no record of the sale as they admit their is a glitch in their system. 
  • That's a BS move... I ship the item out anyway. 
  • Buyer contacts me the next day hoping I sent the item out and seemed worried from the tone of the message wondering if I would.  I guess eBay told him, "What sale?" as well. 
  • Buyer and seller seemingly happy.  If I was dishonest, I guess I could have dragged my rear end or tied up this guy's $30... which would be a crappy thing to do but I am sure that someone out there might use this to their advantage.   I figured I would let you know. 

And after writing this... I will tell say something before anyone else tell me the following, "Cool story bro."

@Buzzetta lol thanks for mentioning it though, made a purchase last night, showed as sold though, didn't "ship" until after you posted this, lol so My Heart Tremors were put to rest by the sound of the ebay app :roflmao: