• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Comic Book Grading Process

5 posts in this topic

I am brand new to the comic book grading process. I have roughly 140 comic books (mainly Batman) from the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s. From the research that I have done, there are probably 20-25 key comics that are worth over $100 each in the lot (depending on how they are graded). There may be one or two books in the $300-$500 range. At what value level is it worth it to get a comic book graded? Also, what is a good ballpark figure to get 20-25 books graded by CGC that are in the $100-$500 range each? I tried researching this as much as possible, but can't seem to find the answers. I want to sell the collection within the next six months if at all possible. Thank you for any help you can provide! I have attached pictures of some of the books that I am looking to possibly get graded.

DC Comics 359.jpg

Batman 148 Two.jpg

Batman 186 Two.jpg

Batman 190 Two.jpg

DC Comics 359 Two.jpg

Batman 184 Two.jpg

Batman 175 Two.jpg

Batman 194 Two.jpg

Batman 195 Two.jpg

Batman 197 Two.jpg

Batman 206 Two.jpg

I would probably get the ones worth $150+ (when in the CGC case) graded, but, you would have to be very close to the CGC grade to make it worth it. You can utilize the 'Please Grade My' sub-forum if you don't know how to grade comics by yourself.

if you want pricing you can visit this link to know how much it would cost to grade minus the shipping to and from CGC. If you drop the books off at a local convention that they are at you can save on the shipping cost to send the books to CGC. Also depending on your membership status where its paid or free determines how you can submit through the mail for paid members and free members you have to drop them off at a convention they are attending or submit through a authorized vendor. But if your looking at 20 books under $400 declared value your looking at the $38 economy tier per book over 400 - 1000 declared value 65$ per book. you can also do a pressing with a pre screen option as well. 

I would get some of the peoples opinions on the please grade my book section of the forum with much better pictures/scans and go from there on what to submit and how to submit and if pressing would help your situation out.  

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc/

Best of Luck

I'd say do the math of costs of shipping and grading (estimate your grades conservatively), and compare to GPA and Ebay sold prices to see your estimated realizable prices (make sure you factor in fees).  Then use your own time/investment/effort/collection preferences and make your own decisions, as many of these subjects are subjective.  Also, of course, factor the non-CGC price into your decision making.  Frankly, the more research and experience and time you put into ANY financial decisions, the better your decisions will be in general and FOR YOU specifically.  Good luck.