• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dodgy Paypal?

9 posts in this topic

I'm confused. Over the past couple of weeks I have been getting emails (supposedly) from Paypal saying this...

Dear Lewis Owen,

An electronic funds transfer from your PayPal account to your bank account was

declined for this reason:

This bank account has insufficient funds.

Thank you for using PayPal!

The PayPal Team

Then i go to check my paypal account and in my history section it says that £30 has tried to be withdrawn to a bank account. As i didn't currently have £30, it was cancelled. Even weirder £16 has suddenly been added to my account?

This has happened once before exept £50 was attempted to be taken out, cancelled and then suddenly i had an extra £50 in my account!?

I've changed my password about 7 times since the first time. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

or you have a split personality or someone else is using your account...

If you've changed the password numerous times like you mentioned and still "things happen" which you didn't do then someone you've told the new password is doing it or there is a trojan/virus/backdoor on your PC and every time you change the password the other person gets it as well

download 'Hitman Pro" it's free and is the best spyware remover bar none.

I'm using adaware spywear just now which seems to be doing the trick (or so i thought)

The weird thing is, they aren't getting any money from me, i'm getting money from somewhere else 0_o

I'll try hitman pro and see if that does the trick 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You really need to let PayPal know what's going on. They should be able to look at their logs and find the IP address that is doing this stuff. That might lend some clues as to where this activity is originating.

Then i go to check my paypal account and in my history section it says that £30 has tried to be withdrawn to a bank account. As i didn't currently have £30, it was cancelled.

Ah, yes. Poverty. The best defense against fraud. thumbsup2.gif

The only attempted fraud I've ever had was when I gave Heritage my credit card number and it was then used to try to buy $3000 in Heritage auction coins. 27_laughing.gif

Of course, I had insufficient funds and the card was replaced.

You really need to let PayPal know what's going on. They should be able to look at their logs and find the IP address that is doing this stuff. That might lend some clues as to where this activity is originating.

Yes, but take every penny out first or they may "freeze" your account with your funds inside.

mad.gif

I'm confused. Over the past couple of weeks I have been getting emails (supposedly) from Paypal saying this...

Dear Lewis Owen,

The PayPal Team

Then i go to check my paypal account and in my history section it says that £30 has tried to be withdrawn to a bank account. As i didn't currently have £30, it was cancelled. Even weirder £16 has suddenly been added to my account?

This has happened once before exept £50 was attempted to be taken out, cancelled and then suddenly i had an extra £50 in my account!?

I've changed my password about 7 times since the first time. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?

Easy to explain:

They tried to get some money out of your account and failed and then put some in to see if they got the right Paypal ID. You were smart/lucky and check your account often and got the money out before they could get it back.

You may ask why they would risk it...

They probably are gambling with stolen money anyways and it looks like your entire operation is compromised since changing your password didn't work.

I'd seriously consider re-formating your hard drive after saving all your important files to CD/DVD. If you have a XP Home system recovery system it's automatic and easy as pie. If I did it right (last winter) I'm sure 90% of you folks can too.

Dear Lewis Owen,

The PayPal Team

Easy to explain:

They tried to get some money out of your account and failed and then put some in to see if they got the right Paypal ID. You were smart/lucky and check your account often and got the money out before they could get it back.

You may ask why they would risk it...

They probably are gambling with stolen money anyways and it looks like your entire operation is compromised since changing your password didn't work.

I'd seriously consider re-formating your hard drive after saving all your important files to CD/DVD. If you have a XP Home system recovery system it's automatic and easy as pie. If I did it right (last winter) I'm sure 90% of you folks can too.

Cheers for the info Aces. I formatted my C drive a few months back after picking up a nasty virus. So thankfully i know what to do.

I've cleared the accoutn of all funds and emailed paypal. Just to be safe i'll probably set up a new account after formatting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Have a Firewall.....Spyware Blaster-Free,Lavasoft Ad-Aware Free,Avast Anti-Virus Free.....Also disable "allow paste options via -script" tools:internet options:security:custom level do on both Internet & Local Intranet levels. First thing though is make sure your Windows has all the security fixes. Windows Xp is ok,that is if your have the Service Pack 1 or 2 cd.....cause if you go to windows update you'll find that the download is around 170 mb to install SP 2 sign-rantpost.gif

Another thing don't respond to any Ebay or PayPal emails:especially ones that ask to change your password. Also always use a different password with both accounts.I had a friend of mine respond to an email & his account was hijacked.

Also disable netbios do a "google" search.It's always good to keep your comp hidden.

Now only if Microsoft would create a 32 bit Windows 98SE....I would be in love! cloud9.gif

If all are done above your not likely to get your comp hijacked...it will take a bit of work,but well worth it!