• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is CGC out of interest for most comic book stores?

134 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Nobody suggested that the person should hold out for the full $300k.  Assuming we're talking about a large collection (not just a single copy of Action #1), nobody is going to see a net $300k out of this... not the seller, not the dealer, nobody.  It costs money to make money.  Whether you sell them yourself or go through a dealer, somebody is going to have to pay overhead, eBay fees, PayPal fees, convention fees, travel expenses, advertising, and ultimately, the discounting of what's left after the hot stuff sells.  

True That!

Plus if it was only 1-2 books or even 10 and the seller was accepting to $30k rather than $300k, I'd be worried the books were stolen..... lol 

I think we're really all saying the same thing..... though.... 

Maybe the seller could have taken half the collection and sold it for $30k, and taken the other half of the collection to the original LCS for $10,000 or $5,000 (: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
apostrophe's are friends :) were we're

7 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Nobody suggested that the person should hold out for the full $300k.  Assuming we're talking about a large collection (not just a single copy of Action #1), nobody is going to see a net $300k out of this... not the seller, not the dealer, nobody.  It costs money to make money.  Whether you sell them yourself or go through a dealer, somebody is going to have to pay overhead, eBay fees, PayPal fees, convention fees, travel expenses, advertising, and ultimately, the discounting of what's left after the hot stuff sells.  

Okay

So if you buy a collection for 50k and its valued at that price say fair market value,when can you expect to turn profit on this?

19 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Okay

So if you buy a collection for 50k and its valued at that price say fair market value,when can you expect to turn profit on this?

If selling on eBay, when the collection is worth 14% more than you paid (shrug)

Because eBay and PayPal will take 13%....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Here in the SF Bay Area, most of the shops are pretty small. Never seen a slabbed comic in any of them. 

I also get the sense that most LCSs don't care too much about keeping their books in mint condition.  I think due the course due to the volume of books they need to move, and number of customers touching the merchandise. Also, I would think displaying a lot of high-priced items could increase the risk of shoplifters.

3 hours ago, Bookery said:

You are right... I was being a bit dramatic to emphasize I thought it was odd to use a 10% payout as being an example of the "noble" dealer.  But I should know better than to respond to extreme hypotheticals.  However, I did say that $30k might be reasonable, or more than reasonable,  if we're talking pure dollar-box bulk.  The example given gave us no clue as to the quality of the books.  However, if this was a quality collection worth every penny of its $300k, it shouldn't matter that the dealer has only $30k in his pocket, because he could make some calls and bring in some other dealers to help bundle together a fair offer.  AND... as long as we're dealing in silly hypotheticals, wouldn't someone offering to accept $30k AFTER you've informed them they are worth $300k seem a bit suspicious?  If their situation is truly desperate, couldn't the dealer pay them $30k up front with an agreement to pay a balance (of a fair offer) later after he'd had a chance to sell some of the books?  Wouldn't that be the "more honest" position?  Frankly... in this hypothetical situation, dealers who have been around know that there is about a 95% chance these books are stolen.  The "honest" dealer would get the license plate and any other data he could get, walk away from the collection, and contact the police afterward so that when the report of stolen goods comes in, they are already prepared.  How's that for a hypothetical response! :wink:

LCS owner explained what it would take to sell and the time involved.  Possible plane trip.  IRS notified etc.  All info was recorded ID license etc seller had no issues with that.  Guy wanted cash, the most he could get, now.  That turned out to be 30K.  Why the LCS owner should say hey let me try to get some more money and also make my job harder lemme call some other people to chip in thats fantasy land stuff.

42 minutes ago, kav said:

LCS owner explained what it would take to sell and the time involved.  Possible plane trip.  IRS notified etc.  All info was recorded ID license etc seller had no issues with that.  Guy wanted cash, the most he could get, now.  That turned out to be 30K.  Why the LCS owner should say hey let me try to get some more money and also make my job harder lemme call some other people to chip in thats fantasy land stuff.

Speaking of plane trips and collections what would be the mobile limit you would spend before it would be uncomfortable for you and you would want to do the deal in person?

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Speaking of plane trips and collections what would be the mobile limit you would spend before it would be uncomfortable for you and you would want to do the deal in person?

$10,000

1 minute ago, kav said:

$10,000

That seems reasonable 

Maybe someday I'd like to buy ASM 129 9.8 and I dont think I'd like to do unless it was "here is your money"

"Here is your comic" 

Maybe I have delusions of grandeur when it comes to what amount I will spend on comics,but it's always nice to dream(shrug)

1 hour ago, kav said:

Whatever.  Ultimately, this is a scenario with so many qualifiers that it will never ever ever happen... so I guess it doesn't matter.  Again... we're given all this, but no idea of what is in the collection.  As a vintage dealer, you say a $300,000 collection my mind leaps to big runs of silver-age or golden-age... and so I'm thinking a 10% offer is ludicrous.  But if you're talking lots of smaller value books more modern books... even with some keys... say 10,000 comics... then that's a different story too.  However, I find it amusing that there is such inconsistency on the boards.  I remember reading a thread about a month or ago where LCS dealers were being slammed if they didn't offer at least 90% market value on a major key (a ridiculous concept on so many levels), and now a dealer is slammed if he suggests 10% on something as enriching as $300,000 is too low (we're not talking offering $30 on a maybe-$100 book here... we're discussing life-changing money).  So which is it?  Oh, I think I know.  The dealer is always slammed all of the time... no matter what.  

Just now, Bookery said:

Whatever.  Ultimately, this is a scenario with so many qualifiers that it will never ever ever happen... so I guess it doesn't matter.  Again... we're given all this, but no idea of what is in the collection.  As a vintage dealer, you say a $300,000 collection my mind leaps to big runs of silver-age or golden-age... and so I'm thinking a 10% offer is ludicrous.  But if you're talking lots of smaller value books more modern books... even with some keys... say 10,000 comics... then that's a different story too.  However, I find it amusing that there is such inconsistency on the boards.  I remember reading a thread about a month or ago where LCS dealers were being slammed if they didn't offer at least 90% market value on a major key (a ridiculous concept on so many levels), and now a dealer is slammed if he suggests 10% on something as enriching as $300,000 is too low (we're not talking offering $30 on a maybe-$100 book here... we're discussing life-changing money).  So which is it?  Oh, I think I know.  The dealer is always slammed all of the time... no matter what.  

these are high value golden and silver books

Actually, when you're wrong, you're wrong.  And it's time I manupped and faced the music.  I have erred.  Most folks on these boards, when shown to be in error, just slink off without a word and move on to the next thread.  I hope to start a new trend... so let the apology tour begin...

I have besmirched the reputation of hypothetical dealer, and I apologize.  I called him a crook, before all of the hypothetical facts were in.  I think I was just jealous of the incredible deal he pulled off.  But that's no excuse.  I have known hypothetical dealer for years.  He's actually a pretty good guy.  I have even met his hypothetical wife and hypothetical kids.  They are truly the epitome of the all-American hypothetical family.  In fact, hypothetical dealer has spent bucketloads of money with me in the past, and hypothetically vice-versa.  I hope I have not destroyed any hypothetical deals we may have in the future.  I was in a hypothetical bad mood, and one should never be posting when that happens.  Again, I wish hypothetical dealer all the best... he's pretty swell.  And in fact, I urge everyone here to check out his hypothetical eBay store... there are some amazing deals there if you act quickly!

* Of course there are some amazing deals there... the bloody bastahd ripped off that poor little old lady and enriched himself by hundreds of thousands of dollars... so yeah, he can offer some great deals!  Yay for him, the scurrilous scum!....

No... ahem.. sorry, sorry... I apologize again... just a spurt of jealousy once again rearing its ugly head.  Bottom line: hypothetical dealer... great guy... buy his stuff.  End.

Edited by Bookery

4 hours ago, Bookery said:

Actually, when you're wrong, you're wrong.  And it's time I manupped and faced the music.  I have erred.  Most folks on these boards, when shown to be in error, just slink off without a word and move on to the next thread.  I hope to start a new trend... so let the apology tour begin...

I have besmirched the reputation of hypothetical dealer, and I apologize.  I called him a crook, before all of the hypothetical facts were in.  I think I was just jealous of the incredible deal he pulled off.  But that's no excuse.  I have known hypothetical dealer for years.  He's actually a pretty good guy.  I have even met his hypothetical wife and hypothetical kids.  They are truly the epitome of the all-American hypothetical family.  In fact, hypothetical dealer has spent bucketloads of money with me in the past, and hypothetically vice-versa.  I hope I have not destroyed any hypothetical deals we may have in the future.  I was in a hypothetical bad mood, and one should never be posting when that happens.  Again, I wish hypothetical dealer all the best... he's pretty swell.  And in fact, I urge everyone here to check out his hypothetical eBay store... there are some amazing deals there if you act quickly!

* Of course there are some amazing deals there... the bloody bastahd ripped off that poor little old lady and enriched himself by hundreds of thousands of dollars... so yeah, he can offer some great deals!  Yay for him, the scurrilous scum!....

No... ahem.. sorry, sorry... I apologize again... just a spurt of jealousy once again rearing its ugly head.  Bottom line: hypothetical dealer... great guy... buy his stuff.  End.

Dont fret you were only hypothetically wrong.