• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replaced staples

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys forgive me as I am rather new to collecting but I recently got a silver age book that I believe has been restapled as the staples look perfect and the book is probably only a 1.0 so it doesn't line up. That and the fact that the cover is only hanging on by the staples leads me to believe the cover was detached and someone down the line restapled it back on.. Any way if a book has been restapled with new staples not vintage staples what is the max grade it can receive? As far as I have heard it doesn't count as restoration. Thanks. 

Hi Chris, it would help to upload some pictures if the original staples have been removed and it has been re-stapled I believe that is restoration at the very least it would be noted on the label replaced staples after manufacturing or something to the sort. As for the grade your saying its a 1.0 it would either be a 1.0 or 0.5 unless its incomplete. 

16 hours ago, Krishosein said:

...if the original staples have been removed and it has been re-stapled I believe that is restoration...

Correct-a-mundo. Staple replacement is restoration. If it was replaced with vintage staples it would be conservation.

So, it'll receive a PLOD if submitted to CGC. Would have received a gray/blue label if they were vintage staples.

25 minutes ago, Chris350dx said:

yeah its an ASM 3 

you should post some pics in the PGM book section of the forum and see what others say but if your sure about the shiny (non vintage staples replacement) your going to get a 1.0 (or whatever grade) restored label book. if your looking to sell the book since it will get the PLOD you might be interested depending on how severe or what can be done and restore it further if your about the higher # 

3 hours ago, Krishosein said:

you should post some pics in the PGM book section of the forum and see what others say but if your sure about the shiny (non vintage staples replacement) your going to get a 1.0 (or whatever grade) restored label book. if your looking to sell the book since it will get the PLOD you might be interested depending on how severe or what can be done and restore it further if your about the higher # 

Ok ill do that. Sorry but what is the PGM book section? And what does PGM stand for?

9 minutes ago, Chris350dx said:

Ok ill do that. Sorry but what is the PGM book section? And what does PGM stand for?

The official thread title is Hey Buddy, Can you spare a grade? and in there most people post PGM ASM 3 which PGM is please grade my ASM 3. 

Hope this helps.