• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We'll Travel Anywhere To See Any Collection! Yeah Right.

58 posts in this topic

Ever see those adds when going through the Overstreets. Well don't you believe them. I called one of them yesterday and was told that unless it was a Silver or Gold age collection that they wouldn't travel to see it. I could however take them to New York (YUCK) and they would be interested in seeing it (at 50% of the Overstreet value if I decided to sell).

Now before some of you jump on me about profit margins ect and how they can't afford to travel for less valueable collections, I understand that. But the truth is, if you're going to advertise it, you should be living up to it. They didn't say travel anywhere to see Gold and Silver age. They said "Travel Anywhere." Sorry about ranting here, but I hate false advertising.

Ever see those adds when going through the Overstreets. Well don't you believe them. I called one of them yesterday and was told that unless it was a Silver or Gold age collection that they wouldn't travel to see it.

Don't be shy. What page was it on?

Gee...a big time dealer in New York....I wonder which one it is?

But seriously, I assume you described your collection right? Do YOU think it warrants a trip to inspect it personally after talking to them? Or are you just pissed because all the words in an ADVERTISEMENT weren't the honest to God truth...

Truthfull, a little of both. It's a collectino of 850 early bronze age Marvel comics with most if not all of the key issues. I probably wouldn't have said anything if this were just 50 comic books of any age. But for the most part I take issue with the advertisment itself. Travel anywhere. That's just misleading.

Two things - one, can you post your list in a text delimited field? (or just throw it up in Excel).

The second thing - just from my cursory read of what you have, I can imagine why they wouldn't come and visit your books. Even if your books are DEAD ON MINT, total retail is probably around $6,000, roughly (the Hulk 181, GS X-Men 1 and X-Men 94 making up most of that), unless Mr. Green is buying them.

The most a dealer would give you for the pile, as a dealer (lighthouse, help me here), is probably about $2200, and even that might be a stretch. Throw in $1300 for airfare from New York and lodging, and you're looking at having to lay out $3500 for a Bronze Age collection of books that, unfortunately, isn't that spectacular. Don't get me wrong, these books are nice, but they are EVERYWHERE. Just as an example, OS Guide lists Warlock 1-8 in NM for $164. I just sold a NM set for $35.

All you have to do is select everything in his web page, copy it, and paste it into Excel...I did that in about 20-30 seconds. Here are the totals Excel computed:

Good - Fine - VF - NM

$1,692 - $5,110 - $10,745 - $17,528

Definitely not worth a plane trip unless they're in dead NM condition...and no offense to arctic, but dealers are all too familiar with what ends up happening 90% of the time when someone describes their comics as NM.

What condition are most of those books in? I'm interested in a bunch of them myself.

They said "Travel Anywhere." Sorry about ranting here, but I hate false advertising.

You do realize that it only says that they will "travel anywhere" not that they will "Travel anywhere to see your complete collection of F/VF Harveys and Star Comics," right? It's not false advertising.

agreed.

maybe 7-11's should start calling up the big dealers asking them to fly in and purchase all of their leftovers from last month instead of stripping the covers for returns. I mean hey, it's a collection of books right? So they should be willing to fly out and see it at least before passing.

A little common sense should be applied when try to get the dealer to fly and see your collection. I've told stories on here before of when I've flown to see stuff, and I'm sure my stories are a drop in the bucket compared to the ones Fishler or Rogovin or Wilson could tell.

And I've had dealers fly in to help me purchase a local collection. Dave Anderson flew in once to help me finalize a deal on Detective #s 1-31 and 38.

Man was that a sweet looking run to see at all one time.

But no one is flying anywhere to look over a collection of Amazing Adventures, Marvel Double Feature and Marvel Triple Action no matter how nice they are (not even JGreen I bet).

Actually the exact qoute is "We will travel anywhere to buy your books!" The on the second add they put "We will travel anywhere to buy your collection."

Now I don't disagree that it makes no sense to travel to see every collection financially. But you also have to acknowledge, many of the people that are reading these adds are people like me. Not really a collector, but someone that's come across the books. Placing adds like that is frankly just deceptive.

Also, the arguement has been made that travel costs would be prohibitive. That's probably true, but isn't comics for the dealer a specultive venture? Dealers already have the advantage on those of us that know nothing. And knowing nothing, how does this dealer know he/she isn't getting rid of a very valuable comic simply because of the owners ignorance? But enough of this. I'm not taking issue with the dealers needs or limitations, I take issue with the misrepresentation. I don't buy the "Travel anywhere to see your complete collection of F/VF Harveys and Star Comics," defense. It's bogus. These are full page adds and they could have just as easily said they would travel to see collections of interest or something to the like.

At this point I'm going to be frank and [!@#%^&^] of some folks I'm sure. As a general rule I don't trust dealers much anymore. I recall several years ago inquiring of one in passing about this very collection. He informed me that the Overstreet prices didn't apply, and that they were only worth what someone (him) was willing to pay. Well that's half right. It's also based on what the owner is willing to accept too.

And while I understand the concept that they have to move the comics, and that they might site for sometime before selling causing the dealers funds to be tied up, I still get the impression that most dealers are going to low ball the collections massively. I believe this even more now. But that's for another thread I think. Misrepresenting advertising, and this certainly was, should not be necessary for a good business to survive. At this point I'm pretty glad that this company wouldn't honor it's advertising claim, because I really don't think I'd accept 40 to 50% or the value so they can get the full price.

Have you ever seen one of those ads that state "We'll Pay Highest" or "Highest Prices Paid"?

Have you ever wondered how these people can ever sell anything if they're paying more than all the other dealers and collectors would pay?

Do you see one person who wins every auction listed on ebay because he "pays highest" (not even JGreen won everything the other day)?

Just use some common sense. Don't be upset because you think your books are worth a fortune and a dealer disagrees with you. They have to make money, if they thought they could make money on your collection they would fly, bus, bicycle or walk to see it.

If you think they are guilty of false advertising, file a complaint with the FTC.

But I doubt any Reasonable (that's the key word) person would see it that way.

And I have to ask about what your expectations for the collection are. You've already seen an example about Warlock where the books don't sell for anywhere near the Guide valule (that's why it's a guide), but you wouldn't accept 40-50% for them? So how much are you looking to get for the collection? (Yes, I know 100% of value would be nice, but realistically I'm asking).

This really isn't about the value of any collection. It's about common courtesy and misleading advertising. I have a decent idea about what the collection is worth. In fact the discussion about that I'll give the guy credit for, he was up front and open about what he'd be able to pay, and I respect that. But there's other options to that, it's not the issue.

You're examples are not really the same thing. Everyone expects to hear "pay the highest prices" hype. I'm talking about a very signficantly implied promise to travel to see a collection with no mention of restrictions or limitations. Would it really be so bad to say they'd travel for any collection that interested them? They'd still get the phone calls they want. But the other leaves people with exactly what you're describing. A mistrust for anything you see in a print add. And if you can't have any trust for it, why would you want to do business with that company?

As for your comments regarding what do I want for the collection money wise, well I know full well I won't be getting full book price. But at the same time there's other avenues and markets out there. Frankly I'm strongly looking at selling the whole thing as is possibly on ebay. It would make a nice bargain for the right person and I'd still get more than what a dealer is going to offer at this point. Or I might just keep them for another ten or twenty years and see what happens. But make no mistake, this isn't about what a dealer is willing to pay or his/her margins. It's about advertising principles.

I think it's become painfully obvious that you're the only person here that cares. Try applying your understanding of "pay the highest prices" hype to the "Travel Anywhere To See Any Collection" phrase. Why is one easier to understand/accept then the other?

Add it to the list:

-"20% more free!" More? More then what? How is it free if I'm paying for it?

- "New and improved!" Newer then what? How is it "improved"?

etc.......

I think it's a misleading statement to say "Will travel anywhere to buy your collection". Would it kill them to put a qualifier SOMEWHERE in the ad specifying what types of collections they will travel anywhere to see?

I mean, can I get Metropolis to travel here to view my She-Hulk collection?

It's obvious that they WON'T travel anywhere, yes, but they should be specifying that in the ad. Look at some of those car dealer ads about "we'll beat the lowest price or pay you $500". That's in HUGE type. Then in barely readable type are all the conditions that must be met for them to pay you $500.

If it is Metropolis that is being discussed, then their ad says "We Will Travel to View Large Collections." I see no reason to complain about them not wanting to view your few hundred bronze age books.

Okay, but if it's another dealer and it's worded similarly, then is seems to me like there's still not much to complain about. There is no implication in the wording that I quoted that they will travel to view all collections no matter how small. I think the original poster mis-read the situation and took an undeserved stab at those "tricksy" comic book dealers.