• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bullseye......the new sabretooth?

45 posts in this topic

I must admit I've only been back collecting for about 3 years now after a 15 year hiatus and have slowly been buying new books again. Unfortunately, I missed all of that KS DD run. I've picked up a few issues here and there but have not had the pleasure of reading the whole run containing the newer Bullseye stories. I wasn't even aware of the details that you mentioned... totally under my radar.

So, I stand corrected on the point "he has not done much since", apparently he has been up to his old tricks and I have some great reading ahead of me (thanks). See what happens when you have a hiatus smirk.gif I'm excited to read the books now. smile.gif

The "core group" theory could be right too. It may be more of us 30+ year olds that hold this view and want this book more than the rest... can't say for sure. Since we lived the Miller run, its quite possible we hold Bullseye in higher esteem. Maybe not all though... CI is in that age group (I think), but does not follow that line of thinking.

I still think the book will do far better than you think long term... or I'll be buying a few extras again wondering what the hell happened when no one wants them... only time will tell. He may be a loser, but he's an interesting nutbag! smile.gif

lmao, i dunno but...

I remember this guy in line at the SD con in the Transformers line saying that he loved DD. confused.gif He got me thinking & I am about to pick up the "born again" storyline...any info on that series????

I think the core group idea holds more water then it's just suddenly a great book that everyone has wanted for a long time. I'd say most of the copies that are popping up are from this core group or other collectors who are just realizing that it's just not worth it to hold onto the book right now when they can be making this kinda money off it.

Brian

Reasonable theory... I may be in the minority on this thread, but I thought it was a great book to own and specualte on way before the movie hype. That's why I was looking for it in the first place. I still don't think there will be as many HG copies available in the future as others expect. I acknowledge however, he is not in Sabretooth's league (yet, maybe someday) and that IF 14 should be the more valuable book once the movie passes... but maybe not by a whole lot. We'll know more in a year smirk.gif

"See what happens when you have a hiatus I'm excited to read the books now."

.........aaahh, sorry about blowing the karen page thing for you............... blush.gif

........but yeah, pick up the KS run, its pretty good, the best stuff i've read by smith..........

I have been collecting Daredevil since I was 12 years old (I'll be 31 on Thursday). Daredevil 131 has always been very difficult to find in High Grade as have all DD's between about 80-140 or so (seems the toughest is 81 as it is squarebound and DD almost died out then so there was a low print run). Try finding a 132 in NM! Even harder than 131. I fully agree that it is a "core" pursuit, but I also think that Daredevil is a "core" comic as I don't think many people outside of hobbyists even know who he is. There was no cartoon, no TV show, few lunch boxes if any, basically none of the "cross over" stuff that Spidey or Superman have enjoyed.

Anywho, Bullseye is Daredevil's Green Goblin or Lex Luthor. He killed Elektra and was somehow wrapped up with the people that put Adamantium in Wolverine. The cover of DD 200 stands out as my personal favorite of all the books I loved as a kid.

I'm not sure why I've skipped out on replying to this topic, but...

For me, DD 131 is an extremely key book and has been for a looong time (DD is one of my favorite characters.) From the moment Frank Miller took Bullseye under his wing and used him as a key figure in one of the greatest runs in modern comics history, 131 became one of the cornerstone keys for the run.

Do I think it will continue to get $400+ dollars? No. I don't even think that trend will continue in the short term as more high grade CGC copies enter the market. Do I think $400+ is a good price for that book? No, especially considering I've picked up two ungraded copies in the past month for under $40... But do I think it's a great book? Sho' nuff!

As for comparisons to saberooth- how's this for a kick in the head? I think I've read about 5 total comics with Sabertooth in them. Which means: from an emotional attachment standpoint, I could give two sh|ts about sabertooth. So for me there's no comparison at all... grin.gif

Well seeing as how a IF 14 variant didn't go for a ton the only time it went up, I'd guess a 132 variant would probably hit in someplace between 500-900. It's really a shoot with those variants..

Brian

Yeah, but that was on a relist when bidding hit $2,200-$2,300 and didnt' hit reserve. I saw the relist and naturally assumed the reserve was still $3K and just forgot about it.

Then I saw it went for $1,500 (reserve was less than half original), kicked myself for 'assuming", and I know there are a lot of collectors who did the same thing.

Maybe, since I believe that the Iron Fist 14 variant is one of the top Bronze Age books and a high-grade copy is a real keeper. I don't think SW #1 is any big deal, so for my money, IF 14 is the only key issue out of all price variants.

So yeah, if another CGC 9.4 copy came up, I would definitely give it a look-see.

Yeah, maybe it was a 9.2, but one thing is for sure, that seller made a huge error in judgement by setting the reserve way too high the first time. I would have sold for well over $2K (had bids at $2,300 I believe) if the $3K reserve wasn't so ludicrous.

I wrote that guy off after the initial auction, and I'm sure others did as well. The only way to determine the true market price of any comic is to start it out at 99-cents, with no reserve and let the market decide. Any other method is flawed.