• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicBase 10.0 Released

28 posts in this topic

I highly recommend this program. Upgrades from previous versions are greatly discounted. I think the price and title updates is a great addition.

From an email announcement...

We're just back from Comic-Con where we unveiled the new ComicBase 10. Packed with information on over a quarter of a million comics, it features something that’s probably been the most requested feature since ComicBase was first released—free, downloadable price and title updates for a whole year!

I own ComicBase 9.0 and I have to say that the program is not worth the expense. It takes too many keystrokes and mouseclicks to add a single book to the list, and the prices are so unrealistic that it does no good at all to have the valuations included as part of the program. I could accomplish almost everything I need to accomplish in less time and for less money on a simple excel spreadsheet. The only other reason to pay the $$$$$ to get ComicBase is for the scans of all of the covers, but with the many databases (comicspriceguide.com and samcci.org) and with MileHighComics.com's mega-library of scanned covers, you don't really need ComicBase.

The best thing ComicBase could do right now is to create a slabbed comic database. Where they could work with GPA to download the prices realized into the database.

I might be interested in it then.

The best thing ComicBase could do right now is to create a slabbed comic database. Where they could work with GPA to download the prices realized into the database.

I might be interested in it then.

True, but I think GPAnalysis could very easily create their own version of a ComicBase-like collection management program and just offer it as an extra product under the GPA umbrella. George told me that he has a team of underpaid IT workers at his beck and call who are forced to work long hours at George's whim to create comic-related technology products, in addition to their normal job duties. poke2.gif

And I am betting that GPA's product would be a better program and more user friendly than what ComicBase offers. yay.gif

I owned 2 prior versions of CB (5.0 and 6.0) and was very displeased with the product. So I know how bad the program was/is.

I have no doubt that George and GPA could market a much better product and that it would be received by many CGC acolytes. It really doesn't even need to be complicated either.

True, but I think GPAnalysis could very easily create their own version of a ComicBase-like collection management program and just offer it as an extra product under the GPA umbrella. George told me that he has a team of underpaid IT workers at his beck and call who are forced to work long hours at George's whim to create comic-related technology products, in addition to their normal job duties. poke2.gif

Outsourced to India?

I hope the IT comment was tounge in cheek.

Outsourced to India?

George owns an IT company in Australia. I don't understand your point.

Outsourced to India?

Yeah, no kidding! Being in the software industry myself, that scenario looks all too plausible to me. When my job goes to India, at least there will be some cool early Avengers in the 'Marketplace' section for you guys to pick over... confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, no kidding! Being in the software industry myself, that scenario looks all too plausible to me. When my job goes to India, at least there will be some cool early Avengers in the 'Marketplace' section for you guys to pick over... confused-smiley-013.gif

No doubt, the industry is upside down as compared to pre-911. Two years ago there was a Time article about wages and benefits decreasing, the 500k plus jobs outsourced. Recently though an article suggested that outsourcing to other countries is not without caveats, suggesting a possible reverse trend down the road.

The company I work for is a software company, and blends resources from India and other countries. It is the "dime a dozen" comments like this that make me want to rethink my career. Luckily I have business acumen to go with the technical savy, which is in high demand (at least in my current state of employment). My salary is great, and I've survived multiple lay-offs. As long as I remain relevant and up to date in trends and technologies, I don't see that changing. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Sorry for the sidebar, but I had to say something for the people in this profession.

No doubt, the industry is upside down as compared to pre-911. Two years ago there was a Time article about wages and benefits decreasing, the 500k plus jobs outsourced. Recently though an article suggested that outsourcing to other countries is not without caveats.

The company I work for is a software company, and blends resources from India and other countries. Its comments like this that make me want to rethink my career.

You and me both, brother. We're being sold down the river and it's a damned shame, but they've got us by the short hairs when they can pay an Indian or Chinese $5 per hour to do our jobs, since the infrastructures in those countries (health care being a big one) are not as developed and expensive to maintain. My company's probably too small for outsourcing to be an option.....yet.

On the other hand, it's true that some companies are realizing that there were advantages to keeping their knowledge workers local. And I do seem to be seeing more local job listings in the industry than even last year. Unfortunately, sending work overseas is a great way to boost the short-term bottom line and ensure lavish pay and severance packages for the executives, succeed or fail.

"underpaid" and "long hours"...just sounded like an India outsource. Excuse my rant.

Or local employees putting up with [embarrasing lack of self control] treatment for fear of being outsourced. That was the first thing that jumped into my head.

"underpaid" and "long hours"...just sounded like an India outsource. Excuse my rant.

I was just busting George's hump. I didn't intend to cause a revolution among the IT proletariat.

Or local employees putting up with [embarrasing lack of self control] treatment for fear of being outsourced. That was the first thing that jumped into my head.

Guys, it was a joke. Don't take everything so [embarrasing lack of self control] seriously. foreheadslap.gif

Guys, it was a joke. Don't take everything so [embarrasing lack of self control] seriously. foreheadslap.gif

That's cool--but anyone working in this industry knows how tough it has been the last few years and it struck a nerve. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've heard the comment before, which led me to believe that there's a chord of truth to it.

That's cool--but anyone working in this industry knows how tough it has been the last few years and it struck a nerve. confused-smiley-013.gif

What he said. No offense. As an aside, I was mildly surprised that the auto-censor caught c-r-a-p in my post above. Had I known it was so sensitive, I would have used a stronger word. grin.gif

I was just busting George's hump. I didn't intend to cause a revolution among the IT proletariat.

I take offense at the term "IT proletariat." mad.gif

(Although, in all fairness, I've never carped about jobs getting outsourced, so ... confused-smiley-013.gif)

Bourgeois Pig Alan

Scott - you hit a nerve I'm afraid - I know exactly how these guys feel about the whole outsourcing issue. Here in Australia we have had thousands of jobs leave for foreign shores. Let me tell you, the quality of the work that comes out of some of the places is pretty pathetic.

We do NOT outsource, nor will I ever ask my staff and contractors to accept pay equivalent to that paid oversees. We pay above award rates and we get quality work and happy people. The formula is simple, the outcome obvious. Does that mean my profit margin is less at the end of the financial year - yes, but I am not fussed about it. We have quality products, developed in a timely fashion that attracts large government departments here in Australia - that is more important to me.

The reality of course is that with a combined population of almost 2.5 billion people (in China and India), and millions in the IT industry, countries in the developed world will one day or another outsource. Eventually, when Indian and Chinese IT workers reach the standard of living we have, then the rates wont be so different (they'll still be less, but not by much). What will have happened in the process is that IT industries in some developed countries will suffer greatly, if not disappear completely as a service industry.

Now, back to Scott - guys, he did use the baiting gremlin: poke2.gif, so give the guy a break!

Hey Scott hi.gif

Regards

George