• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicBase 10.0 Released

28 posts in this topic

George owns an IT company in Australia. I don't understand your point.

"underpaid" and "long hours"...just sounded like an India outsource. Excuse my rant.

Or local employees putting up with [embarrasing lack of self control] treatment for fear of being outsourced. That was the first thing that jumped into my head.

Guys, it was a joke. Don't take everything so [embarrasing lack of self control] seriously. foreheadslap.gif

Scott - you hit a nerve I'm afraid - I know exactly how these guys feel about the whole outsourcing issue. Here in Australia we have had thousands of jobs leave for foreign shores. Let me tell you, the quality of the work that comes out of some of the places is pretty pathetic.

We do NOT outsource, nor will I ever ask my staff and contractors to accept pay equivalent to that paid oversees. We pay above award rates and we get quality work and happy people. The formula is simple, the outcome obvious. Does that mean my profit margin is less at the end of the financial year - yes, but I am not fussed about it. We have quality products, developed in a timely fashion that attracts large government departments here in Australia - that is more important to me.

A big thumbsup2.gif to you, sir!

I own ComicBase 9.0 and I have to say that the program is not worth the expense. It takes too many keystrokes and mouseclicks to add a single book to the list, and the prices are so unrealistic that it does no good at all to have the valuations included as part of the program. I could accomplish almost everything I need to accomplish in less time and for less money on a simple excel spreadsheet.

confused-smiley-013.gif

It takes 2 keystrokes to add a new book. Ctrl N, Alt S. The program automatically enters the next issue number, fills in the date, cover price and a default quantity of 1. For key books, I like to add my own scans.

I don't have much use for the valuations (even if they were dead on), but I do like the ability to update with new title and issue information. The reporting function was a bit clunky, but supposedly that has been updated as well.

I originally bought the 7.0 standard version ($99) and have paid for updates since then... I never thought the deluxe [much more expensive] version was worth the expense.

George,

Thanks for chiming in--I didn't mean for it to get out of hand, but I've heard this more than once and I wanted to set the record straight from my point of view. A number of collectors that work in IT frequent these boards and I know it doesn't make them feel too good to hear these kind of comments. Granted--it is true, but as you indicated, you get what you pay for.

And Scott, I assure you I am not a proletariat. I sell my knowledge capital; just in a different capacity than you do.

Now let's talk comics...

Sterling

George,

Thanks for chiming in--I didn't mean for it to get out of hand, but I've heard this more than once and I wanted to set the record straight from my point of view. A number of collectors that work in IT frequent these boards and I know it doesn't make them feel too great to hear these kind of comments. Granted--it is true, but as you indicated, you get what you pay for.

Now let's talk comics...

Sterling

Agree...

Comic-Con was even bigger this year - to my eyes anway. Hello to everyone that I met hi.gif

I even got my little boy into comics - he's 3 and a half, and hasn't really had an opportunity until this year's con - went past the Gemstone booth and Jeff Vaughn was kind enough to hand out a swag of disney comics to him - he's read them over and over and I get to read them to him over and over when he goes to bed at night Christo_pull_hair.gif No, really, I looooove Mickey mouse..... yeahok.gif

But everyone can do their part to help our hobby at least stay the same size, dare I say grow! So get your son/daughter away from that pesky homework and demand they read a comic book a night!

I highly recommend this program. Upgrades from previous versions are greatly discounted. I think the price and title updates is a great addition.

From an email announcement...

We're just back from Comic-Con where we unveiled the new ComicBase 10. Packed with information on over a quarter of a million comics, it features something that’s probably been the most requested feature since ComicBase was first released—free, downloadable price and title updates for a whole year!

Ordered my upgrade yesterday for $99 had version 6 that I picked up on ebay for $14 so I saved a bunch at Geiko.

Listening to the outsourcing comments makes me glad I'm out of the work force. My whole family has at times been into software development. All the way from the head of main frame OS development. I've dabbled in App VB and years ago in mach code assembly. enough of that.

I've got one question for George at GPA as I'm a GPA member probably six months. I think your web page developers could utilize your space more efficiently on the Search/Analyze web page. STEP 3. is always out of reach for a simple click. You always have to scroll down to utilize the analyze button. I use a monitor set to 1280 x 1024 and still can’t reach it without scrolling down. Seems to me it could be moved to avert this step. Other than that let me praise you for an excellent and informative site. Thanks for listening, OK board I’m up against the wall if you want to throw darts at me for being so petty I can take it.

I think shy.gif